• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

On 5/6/2020 at 0:46 AM, chara said:

This scramble to get "something done" is unseemly and truly dangerous...it's "done"..let it go ...no way that we can go back and "finalise" the season etc....just stop and look forward not backwards. Bit like the break up with a partner or boy/girl friend..once the realisation sets in that it really is over it's possible to move forward.

I don't think that it is tbh. The various leagues (including the PL) will ge back into the swing of things, sooner, rather than later imo. They have to because there's too much money at stake if they don't. And the leagues and clubs live off that money. The Bundesliga has already announced that it's close to getting back to playing, and I'm pretty sure that La Liga and Serie A won't be far behind.

6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I don't think that it is tbh. The various leagues (including the PL) will ge back into the swing of things, sooner, rather than later imo. They have to because there's too much money at stake if they don't. And the leagues and clubs live off that money. The Bundesliga has already announced that it's close to getting back to playing, and I'm pretty sure that La Liga and Serie A won't be far behind.

Yes, sadly it seems that way. Money talks I'm afraid, though the integrity of the competition has long since gone.

In the case of the premier league the mixture of an incorrectly applied (or applied with bias) VAR and a restart in an unnatural setting invalidates any achievement. I would personally feel odd should we win  a behind closed door FA Cup final, it would feel like a hollow victory. Same goes for the league.

What I don't get is where the money is coming from if we play this season out.

• selling seats - no, pretty sure they'll have to give season ticket money back*
  • TV money - no not if it is going out on Yahoo*
  • Sponsorship deals - perhaps they get full payment this way.  

The only real purpose I can see is to keep fans involved so they come back next season - though good luck with that.

Anyone seriously considering renewing their season ticket for next year?

In the meantime sponsorship money dips very very sharply (especially airline and oil company sponsorship).  And while TV companies may well have a big increase in subscribers for footie, they will also have a big drop in TV ad revenue.

* Actually playing the games behind closed doors/on Yahoo seems to make paying back season ticket holders/SKY/BT overseas TV  more likely than just saying "season's over".

7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

In short, no. It would be like buying a ticket for a magical mystery tour, with no guarantee that it'll go anywhere you want see

• Like 1

chara   
11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Thank you MT for the measured response....my only question is "back into the swing of things"......it's not like the Big Freeze way back..that was just a catchup of postponed games...the present situation is far more complex and dangerous.

Your point "too much money at stake" gets to the heart of the issue and whatever the immediate future holds I believe it will be a long time before..if ever...we see the game as we have grown accustomed to.

Ham   

Genuinely pleased that we shifted sponsors from tyres/rubber goods to Telecoms.  Inspired timing. 

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Only if no one else is!