• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

I enjoyed this article on the BBC, always fascinated to hear about players we were in negotiations with and had never heard about us being linked with Jaap Stam.

I was a bit too young to really understand why, but I recall vividly my dad being almost child-like in how excited he was about Ruud signing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52904670

• Like 1

I must be of an age with your dad - my old club, Cambridge Utd., had disappeared without trace, and anyhow I lived in London so I was wondering which club might inherit the place that the U's had in my heart. Ruud appeared, and I was converted. Road to Damascus. ST since then. Arrogant b****r, and really upset the Geordies, but lovely to watch. Had a beer with him at the Malmaison in Newcastle  when he was manager - they were going to throw him out because he was a non-resident. That's how loved he was. Imagine a Chelsea hotel doing that to SFL.

paulw66   
3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I enjoyed this article on the BBC, always fascinated to hear about players we were in negotiations with and had never heard about us being linked with Jaap Stam.

I was a bit too young to really understand why, but I recall vividly my dad being almost child-like in how excited he was about Ruud signing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52904670

I was going to bring this article up. I remember after Gullit was sacked him saying that one day he was trying to sign Stam, the next he was gone. Often wondered what might have happened had the club stuck with Gullit. If nothing else, he had an immense pull power for top players at a time we weren' an elite club. His replacement then lasted just over 2 years himself.

In 1998, a CB pairing of Desailly and Stam, with JT ready to emerge.........my God. 

6 hours ago, blue moon said:

I must be of an age with your dad - my old club, Cambridge Utd., had disappeared without trace, and anyhow I lived in London so I was wondering which club might inherit the place that the U's had in my heart. Ruud appeared, and I was converted. Road to Damascus. ST since then. Arrogant b****r, and really upset the Geordies, but lovely to watch. Had a beer with him at the Malmaison in Newcastle  when he was manager - they were going to throw him out because he was a non-resident. That's how loved he was. Imagine a Chelsea hotel doing that to SFL.

I need to reconfirm with him, but I think my Dad started supporting us because of Ruud's signing as well (and ergo by extension that means it's the same reason I support us as well). 

JaneB   
bert19   
8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I was going to bring this article up. I remember after Gullit was sacked him saying that one day he was trying to sign Stam, the next he was gone. Often wondered what might have happened had the club stuck with Gullit. If nothing else, he had an immense pull power for top players at a time we weren' an elite club. His replacement then lasted just over 2 years himself.

In 1998, a CB pairing of Desailly and Stam, with JT ready to emerge.........my God. 

We’d have won the league with those two as our foundation

2 hours ago, blue moon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52950715 ... but will it be customised per club? Won’t seem like a Chelsea match without Carefree, F&£@ ‘em all, and Celery. Let alone the William song, Franky Lampard and Osgood.

It's YNWA for everyone