• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

and even the Pjanic one was a swap 

Oh yes - even that.  
So we have spent two thrids of the big money so far (unless you count the unlikely tale that AM are paying us £50 odd m for Morata right now.

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

Oh yes - even that.  
So we have spent two thrids of the big money so far (unless you count the unlikely tale that AM are paying us £50 odd m for Morata right now.

well whatever they are paying us, it doesn't change the point you are making as the commitment was made 12 months ago

bert19   

32 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.
The interesting question for me is does any club have any money. Any club in Europe other than us?

I think significant deals so far amount to  Pjanic to Barca, Sane to BM and 2 to us.

Exactly.  I'm guessing City will add 3 or 4 players, but may have to offload a couple of big earners first (Silva is going to be fair, I'd imagine his wages were significant, Sane has gone relatively cheaply given his age/status). Plus I'm sure eyes will be on their accounts now.  With oil taking a hit of late, the Sheikh may want to taper the spending a bit.  But their squad does feel like it's come to the end of its cycle and they've needed at least one centre-back since last summer. 

Pjanic/Arthur just stinks of Barca in particular cooking the books (though Juve have added Ronaldo and Ramsey's wages over the last two summers and are rumoured to be offering Ramsey to other clubs).  Barca are in real financial trouble if they don't offload a few members of that squad.  

Liverpool are interesting though as that squad has been worked pretty hard over the last three seasons.  With a short break and a Euros (and Olympics) next year, it could get worn very thin.  Oxlade-Chamberlain aside, they've really avoided any big injuries so far too.  That must surely be a factor that will start to play a part at some point? 

There's also a precedent of the dangers of not adding quality when you've won the league convincingly.  Chelsea in 2015 & 2017, City last year, but the one that always stands out for me is Wenger sticking with that whole invincibles squad. Arsenal haven't got near a title since. 

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

and even the Pjanic one was a swap 

Book-cooking for sure.  I'm sure Ralphie Cifaretto's guy is looking over them regularly. 

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

There's also a precedent of the dangers of not adding quality when you've won the league convincingly.  Chelsea in 2015 & 2017, City last year, but the one that always stands out for me is Wenger sticking with that whole invincibles squad. Arsenal haven't got near a title since. 

Don't know about Arsenal but Chelsea post 2010 and Liverpool for longer are yoyo clubs.  They don't expect to be able to stay at the top for long.  
Like us Liverpool will invest in a good team to make it a PL winning team, but there is a limit to the money and that winning team won't get more money until the end of a long rebuild process.  Allison and VVD ended their investment, not started it.
We are just starting a big investment phase (helped by everyone else being squeezed and the suspension of FFP).

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Don't know about Arsenal but Chelsea post 2010 and Liverpool for longer are yoyo clubs.  They don't expect to be able to stay at the top for long.  
Like us Liverpool will invest in a good team to make it a PL winning team, but there is a limit to the money and that winning team won't get more money until the end of a long rebuild process.  Allison and VVD ended their investment, not started it.
We are just starting a big investment phase (helped by everyone else being squeezed and the suspension of FFP).

we didn't invest properly in 2006, 2010, 2015 and 2017 after winning the title.

the only time we did it properly, 2005, we retained it. 

Edit - in 2006 and 2017 we spent money. just poorly. In 2010 we spent nothing, relatively and in 2015 we didn't spend enough 

Edited by paulw66

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

we didn't invest properly in 2006, 2010, 2015 and 2017 after winning the title.

Quite. we did over invest in 2003&4&5 though.  And in 2014.  We brought in 6 players in 2016 and invested very improperly in 2017.

We invested to turn good teams into winning teams.  Which is the whole art of yoyo management.  There is absolutely no point in investing to turn rapidly declining teams into slowly declining teams.  That is the story of Arsenal post 2003 and Man U post SAF.  

Buy big to complete the jigsaw on the up yo.
Accumulate young talent for the rebuild as soon as the down yo starts.

Success follows investment, not the other way around.

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I saw his video on Twitter. Seems genuinely upset, and hasn't been given a reason. Shame. Seems like a really nice bloke. 

he will swap places with Matterface on talksh*t

Edited by RobertoftheGiz