• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

JaneB   

I popped into the start of the Community Shield to see 'taking the knee' is still compulsory.

When is this nonsense going to stop?  It's all got far too political for my liking and I'm very uncomfortable with it.

Zidane   
1 minute ago, JaneB said:

I popped into the start of the Community Shield to see 'taking the knee' is still compulsory.

When is this nonsense going to stop?  It's all got far too political for my liking and I'm very uncomfortable with it.

Equally uncomfortable with soldiers handling the FA Cup? 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Indeed although this was unfortunately an appalling advert for top level women's football. Sam Kerr with the worst performance I've seen from anyone in any shirt in years and the usual goalkeeping howler for our 1st.  

It was awful wasn't it? Worse than kids football. 

JaneB   
2 minutes ago, Zidane said:

Equally uncomfortable with soldiers handling the FA Cup? 

I've no idea what point you're trying to make.

Zidane   
2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I've no idea what point you're trying to make.

I'm asking if you were also equally uncomfortable with the political spectacle of the armed forces being paraded at English sporting events. I mean, that's political nonsense too, right? 

Edited by Zidane
  • Like 1

Ham   
Just now, Mark Kelly said:

It was awful wasn't it? Worse than kids football. 

Jonathan Pierce having to tow the company line and only accentuate the positives. 

It got to a stage where he stopped commenting altogether on the poor standard. 

He knew full well that anyone with arms should have saved that "worldie" too. 

The only sensible suggestion I can think of for the goalkeepers is to make the goals smaller but that would have made it even more difficult for Sam Kerr.

Ham   
Just now, Zidane said:

I'm asking if you were also equally uncomfortable with the political spectacle of the armed forces being paraded at English sporting events. I mean, that's political nonsense too, right? 

How is that political? Those are the armed forces of the country where the game is being played. 

JaneB   
5 minutes ago, Zidane said:

Of course not.  I'm proud of our armed forces and they are there in a ceremonial role.  

25 minutes ago, Zidane said:

I don't think I have seen a military marching band at a cup final in years.  Even Pensioners in their Red Jackets are a rarity at the Bridge.
Am I missing something?

As for kneeling - if someone (James MacLean say) wanted to kneel during the British National Anthem for whatever reason I would perfectly understand - approve even.

But to kneel in order to show disapproval of the US national anthem which isn't even being played is damn right disrespectful.
Even I think that and there can't be many people on this site who find US war mongering and corruption more distasteful than I.

45 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Not sure if I remember exactly what you have said in the past.  Is this a change in your view (sorry if not)?
There might be several reasons - I'm curious about yours.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

How is that political? Those are the armed forces of the country where the game is being played. 

Would it be "political" if the FA or Premier League decided they didn't want an armed forces involvement or representation in any or their games from now on? Of course it would be. Same as the choice to, from time to time, have them involved is political. 

The argument that lands best with me against taking the knee is the pressure players and club staff are under to take part if it doesn't sit with them, and the abuse they'd get if they chose not to. The only other comparable situation in modern English football should be obvious.

Not that I necessarily have a problem with armed forces visibility in football. It just is political. It just doesn't jar because it sits alongside and supports a dominant politics rather than challenging it.