• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

10 hours ago, chara said:

And......the irony of watching the opening line up Denmark V England...both teams lustily singing their respective National Anthem..and then kneeling ....as I switched off...not even a meaningful gesture..

OMG - did they really do that.  How intellectually embarrassing.  How just dumb ignorant.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

The weird thing is that the first use of nitty-gritty is in the mid-20th century to a song title. There is no evidence that it has anything to do with slavery. The world is becoming more and more Orwellian: "Don't you see that the whole aim of newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end, we shall make thoughtcrime impossible because there will be no words in which to express it".

Loads of stuff is in mid-20th century songs.  Not a justification.

Others have https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigritie as the root of the word, that and subsequent French built in implications.  Not slavery but the objection makes sense.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I understand banning phrases that have slavery origins, but things like "whiter than white", "blackballed" and "blacklisted" have nothing to do with race at all. The next step will be banning ordering a black coffee

So why don't we say whiteballed?  If the argument is that white=good and black=bad is historical and pre-dates a time where racist views existed I'd say then why not just change it now?  (and it is probably wrong as well).

paulw66   
Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Loads of stuff is in mid-20th century songs.  Not a justification.

Others have https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigritie as the root of the word, that and subsequent French built in implications.  Not slavery but the objection makes sense.

So why don't we say whiteballed?  If the argument is that white=good and black=bad is historical and pre-dates a time where racist views existed I'd say then why not just change it now?  (and it is probably wrong as well).

Because black is a dark colour, and looks "bad" (not in the context of skin colour). 

A dark room is scarier than a well lit one, a plate of black food doesn't look appetising, a room decorated with black paint or black wallpaper would be depressing. If you wanted to be cheered up, you don't surround yourself with the colour black. We wear black in mourning, because it is a somber colour, not because of anything racist. Countries in scandanavia have high suicide rates, which is attributed to less sunlight - eg there is more darkness (black). The colour black is generally associated with darkness, and dark = bad, light = good. 

White is a clear, clean colour..........which is why we write on white paper because it is easy to see, easy on the eye. It is why you are more likely to see white in people's homes. White is lighter = happier.  

None of this is "racist"..........it just pure asthetics. Like red is danger. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

So very easy to change then.  Trivially easy.

(Actually Red is danger I'm pretty sure is not aesthetics, it comes out of the natural world where red and orange are used as warning symbols and because most colour vision sees Red and orange more clearly than other colours.  If you reversed the colours of a traffic light most people would find a green stop light much harder to spot.)

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

So very easy to change then.  Trivially easy.

(Actually Red is danger I'm pretty sure is not aesthetics, it comes out of the natural world where red and orange are used as warning symbols and because most colour vision sees Red and orange more clearly than other colours.  If you reversed the colours of a traffic light most people would find a green stop light much harder to spot.)

what nonsense

black will always look worse because it is dark. you can't just change that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

what nonsense

black will always look worse because it is dark. you can't just change that.

Of course you can.  I've spent my life in a world where Red underlining and Red warning lights have been used when my colourblindness means that Blue stands out clearly and Red doesn't.
Not much of an issue I assure you.

Moreover in a multi-color world, that makes the reason for avoiding black is bad analogies even stronger.

Ham   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Because black is a dark colour, and looks "bad" (not in the context of skin colour). 

A dark room is scarier than a well lit one, a plate of black food doesn't look appetising, a room decorated with black paint or black wallpaper would be depressing. If you wanted to be cheered up, you don't surround yourself with the colour black. We wear black in mourning, because it is a somber colour, not because of anything racist. Countries in scandanavia have high suicide rates, which is attributed to less sunlight - eg there is more darkness (black). The colour black is generally associated with darkness, and dark = bad, light = good. 

White is a clear, clean colour..........which is why we write on white paper because it is easy to see, easy on the eye. It is why you are more likely to see white in people's homes. White is lighter = happier.  

Great response 👍

Sciatika   

red is cultural. In China, red indicates good fortune, white is associated with death and black is generally a neutral colour.

chara   
19 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

red is cultural. In China, red indicates good fortune, white is associated with death and black is generally a neutral colour.

In the "West" yellow with cowardice..green with jealousy....blue with down hearted..( I KNOW!)....and so on....what is the World coming to?...Power and Pace not acceptable?...what about  Clumsy and  Slow?...do only a certain group of players "Matter" at our club?.....a career ending injury only "Matters" for some?..of course not..we "care" about all our squad and criticize or praise according to ability/performance on the field as we perceive it as our own individual opinion.

So many Social issues all over the World but the Media choose only to highlight..can I say that?....what suits their current agenda at any time. The real issues and possible realistic solutions are rarely if ever presented.

....for they know not what they do.........

Ham   
12 minutes ago, chara said:

In the "West" yellow with cowardice..green with jealousy....blue with down hearted..( I KNOW!)....and so on....what is the World coming to?...Power and Pace not acceptable?...what about  Clumsy and  Slow?...do only a certain group of players "Matter" at our club?.....a career ending injury only "Matters" for some?..of course not..we "care" about all our squad and criticize or praise according to ability/performance on the field as we perceive it as our own individual opinion.

So many Social issues all over the World but the Media choose only to highlight..can I say that?....what suits their current agenda at any time. The real issues and possible realistic solutions are rarely if ever presented.

....for they know not what they do.........

"Power and pace" being an unacceptable negative stereotype is the one that did it for me.  

Am I legally allowed to refrain from paying the licence fee bearing in mind I barely watch BBC channels and already pay a small fortune for a Sky subscription?