• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

chara   
5 minutes ago, Ham said:

"Power and pace" being an unacceptable negative stereotype is the one that did it for me.  

Am I legally allowed to refrain from paying the licence fee bearing in mind I barely watch BBC channels and already pay a small fortune for a Sky subscription? 

Power and Pace?.....who in the current Chelsea squad has that?....Diego had it?....ok..but mustn't say DD had it?..what a load of crock....

I reluctantly agree that we all should think before we speak so as not to cause offence...but surely that has been the way of social interaction forever...terms change but politeness is ingrained..or should be....

And remember Ham...WAIT FOR ME when you jump !!!!

chara   

PS..whoops..I seem to remember a movie about who can or can't jump....so I'm way out of line...wait, line dancing is a Country thing..it's a mine field..wait..........is that ok?

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

We wear black in mourning, because it is a somber colour ...

I think this part-sentence undoes itself, really. You could dive never to be seen again into a social constructionist rabbit hole about what colours even are (every so often one of those pictures that 50% of people insist is clearly one colour and that another 50% insist is a drastically different one goes viral), but to stay at a more pragmatic level, the meaning we attribute to colours is clearly socially constructed. Colours don't have any meaning in or of themselves. They become associated with practices, beliefs, feelings etc., and those associations are often shared among people and communities for a generations, but it's still an association rather than anything inherent.

None of which is to say that I think terms like 'blacklisted' are racist or particularly problematic, or should be banned (and we should reject that word, because no one is banning anything here; employees who are paid to say certain things are being asked to say those things by their employer). It does make me think that if we can avoid using the word 'black' as shorthand for 'bad', that seems a decent thing to aspire to? That is a very different aspiration to attacking denouncing anyone who does still say, for example, "blacklist".

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

red is cultural. In China, red indicates good fortune, white is associated with death and black is generally a neutral colour.

Exactly.

chara   

So many adult thoughts on here...the Media stance claims by inference that it speaks for the people and to the people but going by just this forum it seems that we the great unwashed actually are capable of thinking for ourselves and articulating serious opinions...differences of opinion are what free speech really is...not the agenda that appears to be intent on creating divisions everywhere and channeling opinions based on artificial concepts.

A story....A few years back during one of those pesky "difficult" spells I moved to a new apartment thanks to the help of a fellow Chelsea guy at work who lived on the complex and knowing I was looking for a place passed on details of an Apt on his complex.

Ron,,the Chelsea guy also helped me move in along with an old friend of mine ..a very tree hugging liberal. During the moving of furniture etc my liberal friend (of over twenty years) passed an innocent comment using the word Black...Ron is African American and as my liberal friend squirmed in deep embarrassment I'm not sure who found it more amusing ..me or Ron..... make of that what you will!!

JaneB   

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8715365/Jurgen-Klopp-admits-Liverpool-match-Manchester-City-Chelsea-transfer-market.html

.."we're a different kind of club".. Could Jurgen Klopp get any more pompous and annoying? (in conversation with Kelly Cates obviously).

chara   
15 minutes ago, JaneB said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8715365/Jurgen-Klopp-admits-Liverpool-match-Manchester-City-Chelsea-transfer-market.html

.."we're a different kind of club".. Could Jurgen Klopp get any more pompous and annoying? (in conversation with Kelly Cates obviously).

Hey Jane..see my comment on a different topic post.....and ..yep....I'm sure he can and will be....if there is a "stumbling" by his adopted city club I look forward to his blame pointing...if they do well again I fear his smugness will surface at once.

JaneB   
6 minutes ago, chara said:

Hey Jane..see my comment on a different topic post.....and ..yep....I'm sure he can and will be....if there is a "stumbling" by his adopted city club I look forward to his blame pointing...if they do well again I fear his smugness will surface at once.

Ah yes :-)

Maybe we should all have gone straight to the TTPOOL thread.

chara   
40 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Ah yes :-)

Maybe we should all have gone straight to the TTPOOL thread.

Yep...was just one of those "forum" things that starts as a ripple and spreads!!!

• Like 1

paulw66   
12 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I think this part-sentence undoes itself, really. You could dive never to be seen again into a social constructionist rabbit hole about what colours even are (every so often one of those pictures that 50% of people insist is clearly one colour and that another 50% insist is a drastically different one goes viral), but to stay at a more pragmatic level, the meaning we attribute to colours is clearly socially constructed. Colours don't have any meaning in or of themselves. They become associated with practices, beliefs, feelings etc., and those associations are often shared among people and communities for a generations, but it's still an association rather than anything inherent.

None of which is to say that I think terms like 'blacklisted' are racist or particularly problematic, or should be banned (and we should reject that word, because no one is banning anything here; employees who are paid to say certain things are being asked to say those things by their employer). It does make me think that if we can avoid using the word 'black' as shorthand for 'bad', that seems a decent thing to aspire to? That is a very different aspiration to attacking denouncing anyone who does still say, for example, "blacklist".

In some cases, yes, but black is dark, and is generally depressing. There is a reason your living room walls are not painted all black and it's not because of social construct; it would make you depressed. It's gloomy. The point about higher suicide rates in Scandanavia is not a social construct. The dark (black) is not upbeat.

And in the case of the second bolded bit, I would asky why? As you say in your post, these things have nothing to do with race or racism, so what's the issue?

Put it another way - is not saying blacklisted, blackballed, black mark etc, etc going to prevent anyone becoming a racist or reform a racist into a non racist? No. So it's an utterly pointless, futile, virtue signalling heap of dung, and will only serve to get people's back up about how ridiclous the world has become, and will end up causing more racial divide (much like the whole BLM movement) than if we just left things alone. 

• Like 2

JaneB   
9 hours ago, chara said:

Yep...was just one of those "forum" things that starts as a ripple and spreads!!!

Indeed and I like it when that happens.

It's just a bit of a nightmare sometimes when the same discussion gets posted in different threads.