• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

7kg is about a stone isn't it ? Quite a lot of weight for a professional athlete to pack on in a short amount of time I would have thought. 

I think you'd have to ask a professional athlete what they would expect to put on during a complete break (for summer, not injury)

paulw66   
3 hours ago, JaneB said:

I think time will tell, it was one of the best sales we have ever done. If not, the best

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't think 7kg is all that much for a footballer.  Even a small one like Hazard.
Indeed I'd be worried if a footballer did not come back 3-5kg heavier after a summer break.
If he'd been pumping up and come back with 5kg of muscle that might be a problem.  But it appears to be just puppy fat which will fall off quickly.

If you go from training every day, to none, anyone would put on weight surely, even if you eat and drink the same? The question is, what amount is "normal"

1 hour ago, Ham said:

This isn't about the 7kg per se. It's about the fact that Hazard knows each time what the expected weight is and each time he appears incapable of being within that weight. 

If it is a case of 7kg not being much at all, as you say, all the more reason why he should lose it before coming back. 

Without context, it is difficult to judge. What does the average player put on during the off season? 

30 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The real problem is by his own admission that Hazard , when he's on holiday , eats and drinks like he's on holiday without a care how it will effect his weight .

7kg is about a stone isn't it ? Quite a lot of weight for a professional athlete to pack on in a short amount of time I would have thought. 

Very unprofessional behaviour given the lack of value they got out of him last year 

Is it? As above, how many calories do you think a player burns during a days' training? Take that away, and inevitably weight will go on. I have no idea if 7kg is above avergae or not. 

To me, 7kg seems on the high side. That is more than a stone. I would have thought (with no evidence to support this) that about half of that would be reasonable

Ham   
15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think time will tell, it was one of the best sales we have ever done. If not, the best

If you go from training every day, to none, anyone would put on weight surely, even if you eat and drink the same? The question is, what amount is "normal"

Without context, it is difficult to judge. What does the average player put on during the off season? 

Is it? As above, how many calories do you think a player burns during a days' training? Take that away, and inevitably weight will go on. I have no idea if 7kg is above avergae or not. 

To me, 7kg seems on the high side. That is more than a stone. I would have thought (with no evidence to support this) that about half of that would be reasonable

My point though Paul was that, regardless of what you get up to on holiday,  if there's a maximum weight the club wants you to return at on a given date, being over that weight is unprofessional. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

This isn't about the 7kg per se. It's about the fact that Hazard knows each time what the expected weight is and each time he appears incapable of being within that weight. 

If it is a case of 7kg not being much at all, as you say, all the more reason why he should lose it before coming back. 

7kg on top of his natural weight of about 70kg is a lot considering he was off for a few weeks only. 

There's no excuse to why he has packed on that much fat in such a short time. I totall yunderstand why they are annoyed by it. He's a massive signing costing them up to £143m. His wages would surely be in the region of £250k+ per week. It's not unreasonable to ask him to act professionally while on summer holiday for two weeks. To pack on 3,5kg of fat per week on holiday is a lot. 

paulw66   
39 minutes ago, Ham said:

My point though Paul was that, regardless of what you get up to on holiday,  if there's a maximum weight the club wants you to return at on a given date, being over that weight is unprofessional. 

I don't disagree, it's just a question of how much of an issue it is, and how much overweight it is. 7kg does seem too much IMO..... Speaking as the athlete I am. 

chara   

I seem to recall an article about Bobby Moore who it seems liked a beer or two but always ran everyday regardless of playing season etc.

I don't recall JT or any of the elite at Chelsea returning to training so overweight. Hazard appears to have a metabolism type issue but surely awareness should ensure an effort to counter such things.

The short almost no preseason makes it even harder to shake off the excess weight and shows a certain lack of,,to me.. professionalism ....short career and plenty of time to indulge once playing time..and the MONEY....stops.

bert19   
30 minutes ago, chara said:

I seem to recall an article about Bobby Moore who it seems liked a beer or two but always ran everyday regardless of playing season etc.

I don't recall JT or any of the elite at Chelsea returning to training so overweight. Hazard appears to have a metabolism type issue but surely awareness should ensure an effort to counter such things.

The short almost no preseason makes it even harder to shake off the excess weight and shows a certain lack of,,to me.. professionalism ....short career and plenty of time to indulge once playing time..and the MONEY....stops.

Agreed.

I'd have thought if the pre-season is short and a target weight is clear, then the best ploy would be to hit the gym, go for a run or hire a PT to work with every day.  

And not eat loads of biscuits.... Obviously

59 minutes ago, chara said:

Bobby Moore and his peers did a lot of things that wouldn't be recommended now.

The 7kg overweight figure was 2019 after a full vacation.  We don't know how much he is supposed to be overweight this year.

30 minutes ago, bert19 said:

I'd have thought if the pre-season is short and a target weight is clear, then the best ploy would be to hit the gym, go for a run or hire a PT to work with every day.  

In other words do pre-season training.
Actually I believe a major problem with pre-season training is too much weight loss by players.

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The 7kg overweight figure was 2019 after a full vacation.  We don't know how much he is supposed to be overweight this year.

NO.

The report states that its the second time he's come back "fat" , the 7KG figure is this last week , along with him not playing for his country in the last two games as he's put too much weight on.

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

NO.

The report states that its the second time he's come back "fat" , the 7KG figure is this last week , along with him not playing for his country in the last two games as he's put too much weight on.

NO  the 7kg is for 2019 - at least that is what Jane's link says.  There is no number for this year.
As for not playing for Belgium I would imagine RM are delighted he didn't play, just annoyed that he had to travel.

The bottom picture (last year) might be 7kg overweight, but the top picture (this week) certainly isn't. he looks fine.
This is a b/s story before we even begin to debate player weights.

image.thumb.png.2b52da8208f0c739cc363407e80cfe94.png

I see the £143m figure is catching on - not found a credible version yet though.

Edited by Droy was my hero