• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

This was at the time where we got Conte not speaking with Marina rumours and he was telling the media that he didn't buy the players, the board did (despite them nearly all coming from Serie A).

I think it's fair to say that all our signing since Conte quite clearly prove that the manager and board work together on signings. It was just as obvious under Conte but some refused to see it.

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

I think it's fair to say that all our signing since Conte quite clearly prove that the manager and board work together on signings. It was just as obvious under Conte but some refused to see it.

Well for me Conte had far greater control over signings than any other Chelsea manager since perhaps Ranieri in 2003 and JM in 2004.  How many other players have we bought out of Serie A in 17 RA years?  I reckon:

Crespo 2003  (+ indirectly Veron)
Sheva 2006
Quaresma 2008 (on loan after just 6 months at Inter but basically a Scolari Portugal contact)
Alonso 2016
Emerson  2017
Zappacosta 2017
Rudiger  2017  (+ Morata who may have arrived from RM but had played 2014-16 at Juve)
Jorginho  2018
Higuain  (on loan)

So other than Sheva all the Serie A acquisitions seem to have been driven by the manager not the club, and not by our scouting team.

Whatever the truth, the two stories that Costa on a mega salary at Chelsea was a) kean to travel to China and b) was desperately homesick for Spain and would only play for AM
contradict each other enormously.  
The Costa AM version makes sense about Costa.  It doesn't make sense about a manager who would put up with him one season (as JM did for 1 1/2 and Hiddink did) but then decided he could do with out one of his best 2 or 3 players.

Much more sense would be that Conte decided he wanted Lukaku, got some resistance from the board/marina (perhaps over price and or embarrassment in overpaying for an ex-player), decided to force the issue by ditching Costa and staging a fallout (easily done) and then finding out that Marina/RA still wouldn't approve a bid to match or beat Man U's £75m + £15m add-ons.  
This was at the time where we got Conte not speaking with Marina rumours and he was telling the media that he didn't buy the players, the board did (despite them nearly all coming from Serie A).

BTW - in the choice between common sense explanations and "What XXX said" one should always go with common sense.

Or it could've been Costa tried to force a move and Chelsea tried to direct him to China as that was when they were paying insane fees and wages.

With Costa my opinion is that Costa did try to leave in Jan but it was to go back to Spain, Chelsea refused to sell to AM and drummed up interest from China. Costa said no to China and Chelsea wouldn't do a deal with AM unless it matched the Chinese offer. Costa consequently stayed for the rest of the season and by May thought he may have to stay for a while longer as AM wouldn't match what Chelsea wanted.

Conte then text Costa the infamous message and Costa used it to leverage his move to China. This would explain why Chelsea tried to take Conte to court over the text for costing them money as it is one of the very few ways that action made any sense.

You can legitimly argue that Conte's text was deliberate so that he could get Lukaku. However, this then opens up the arguement of who sanctioned Morata as it was pretty evident Conte wanted Lukaku. 

paulw66   

I see Willian took an unauthorised trip to Dubai and now has to self isolate. What a plonker!

I'd be fuming if that was one of ours 

11 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Or it could've been Costa tried to force a move and Chelsea tried to direct him to China as that was when they were paying insane fees and wages.

A potential bid coming in then seems quite likely.  Agents get to work on the slightest sniff of disruption.
The idea that this homesick lad desperately wanting to go back to AM at any cost was seriously considering China is a bit odd IMO.  
Likewise that Costa used the text message to get to China.  In fact he said clearly he only wanted to play for 2 clubs, Chelsea and AM.  What he used the text message for was an explanation as to why he was not playing for anyone at the start of 17/18.

20 minutes ago, King Kante said:

This would explain why Chelsea tried to take Conte to court over the text for costing them money as it is one of the very few ways that action made any sense.

I'm not sure that this rumoured court action was ever more than a rumour.  Indeed unless it actually happened I don't see how it could have factual at all.  Rather it was just a thing to hang on any story about Conte and Chelsea.

15 minutes ago, King Kante said:

You can legitimly argue that Conte's text was deliberate so that he could get Lukaku. However, this then opens up the arguement of who sanctioned Morata as it was pretty evident Conte wanted Lukaku. 

Yes.  But Lukaku went for a reported £75m + £15m add-ons.  I don't think we need much explanation of why the club forced Conte to accept a 2nd choice.  Yes Conte was stuffed with a player worse than Costa and a dreadful relationship with Marina.  But given that it would seem that Morata must have been his 2nd and more realistic choice.

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I see Willian took an unauthorised trip to Dubai and now has to self isolate. What a plonker!

I'd be fuming if that was one of ours 

Ouch not good.  Is he still living in Cobham?  I'm sure cruising around the M25 to go training in these Covid times is pretty cool, but he needs to be integrated into the Arsenal squad to stop these things happen.  One thing if you are Cech and highly professional with Children at local schools.  I recall Cuducini at Spurs was secretly riding his SuperBike around the streets of London till he had an accident

paulw66   
18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Ouch not good.  Is he still living in Cobham?  I'm sure cruising around the M25 to go training in these Covid times is pretty cool, but he needs to be integrated into the Arsenal squad to stop these things happen.  One thing if you are Cech and highly professional with Children at local schools.  I recall Cuducini at Spurs was secretly riding his SuperBike around the streets of London till he had an accident

Wouldn't surprise me. Easy access to Heathrow (for flights home, or to Dubai!) and I think he has twin girls, presumably at private school in surrey somewhere. 

56 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Wouldn't surprise me. Easy access to Heathrow (for flights home, or to Dubai!) and I think he has twin girls, presumably at private school in surrey somewhere. 

Maybe not - a bit of googling finds a story that his home is in N London now.  Kids are 8 so perhaps they decided a move was OK.

Edit - maybe he bought it with his expected Spurs signing on bonus.

Edited by Droy was my hero

I'm not sure that this rumoured court action was ever more than a rumour.  Indeed unless it actually happened I don't see how it could have factual at all.  Rather it was just a thing to hang on any story about Conte and Chelsea.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7882337/Antonio-Conte-wins-legal-battle-against-Chelsea-employment-tribunal-rule-Italian.html

No , it was real enough. 

Conte won obvs. Especially seeing as the club knew full well that Costa wanted out before they booted him.

Edited by Mark Kelly

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7882337/Antonio-Conte-wins-legal-battle-against-Chelsea-employment-tribunal-rule-Italian.html

No , it was real enough. 

Conte won obvs. Especially seeing as the club knew full well that Costa wanted out before they booted him.

King Kante was talking about Chelsea taking Conte to court over the text.
That doesn't seem to have happened as I thought.

Your piece talks about Conte taking Chelsea to court over compensation (twice) and doesn't mention the text or Costa at all.

It does say this though.

Conte was so determined not to ruin his chances of a full payout that he declined an approach from Real Madrid and stayed out of work until joining Inter Milan in 2019.

Possibly guesswork by the Mail but at least intelligent guess work.

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

A potential bid coming in then seems quite likely.  Agents get to work on the slightest sniff of disruption.
The idea that this homesick lad desperately wanting to go back to AM at any cost was seriously considering China is a bit odd IMO.  
Likewise that Costa used the text message to get to China.  In fact he said clearly he only wanted to play for 2 clubs, Chelsea and AM.  What he used the text message for was an explanation as to why he was not playing for anyone at the start of 17/18.

Yes.  But Lukaku went for a reported £75m + £15m add-ons.  I don't think we need much explanation of why the club forced Conte to accept a 2nd choice.  Yes Conte was stuffed with a player worse than Costa and a dreadful relationship with Marina.  But given that it would seem that Morata must have been his 2nd and more realistic choice.

I made a typo in my previous post, what I meant was: 

A) Costa wanted to leave in Jan to go back to AM. 

B) Chelsea, fed up by this point, drummed interest from China (as they were throwing money around at that time.) Costa said no to China and stayed instead. 

C) By May, Costa thought his chances of going to AM were slim. However, Conte sent that text message and Costa used it to leverage his move away to AM by saying the manager didn't want him. 

D) Conte wanted to get rid of Costa so the text message was deliberate on his part. However, he did so thinking he would get Lukaku. 

That is personally my take on the Costa>China>AM>Conte situation. 

As for the part about Morata, I agree that Morata was probably down as a 2nd / 3rd choice. However, this was an arguement used by those that defended Conte at the time. In that, the club never got his first choices and a lot of the time he ended up with his 2nd-3rd options or a club sanctioned buy. Personally, I do not rate Lukaku either, so I am not saying Conte's picks were fantastic, rather that he didn't get many first choice options. 

As for the text being used against him in court, it was widely rumoured that it was a key plank of the clubs evidence: 

https://www.therealchelseafans.com/2018/07/chelsea-plan-to-use-diego-costa-text-message-against-conte-if-he-takes-club-to-court/

Edited by King Kante