• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

3 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Quite Jane. One an absolute gentleman on and off the pitch and the other....well I won’t put what I think as you’d probably end up banning me.

His life off the pitch is irrelevant.

28 minutes ago, chara said:

Sorry Droy..you are deliberately misunderstanding and thats not worthy of you even in a making a counter argument....it wasn't the cheating..I'm not so Roy of The Rovers that I don't know that..it was the glorying in it that sickened me.I gave credit for the other goal in the game in question and his skill but milking the handball? 

It was 1986 - 4 years after the Falklands.  Now I'm happy to defend Maggie/Britain over that, even the Belgrano sinking to some extent.  But I'm not going to criticise an Argentinean footballer for glorifying in a winning goal over England in 1986.

31 minutes ago, chara said:

Again..you are just plain wrong about "really his problem"....agree it's not OUR problem but surely in the game some level of moral compass should be displayed by senior players. We all I think looked up to our heroes as kids and Maradona was not one I would use as any role model for a youngster...the skill set is not enough in the wider picture.

Best, Moore, Osgood, Giggs the game has always been full of heroes with limited morals or self control. But there have been very few player like Maradonna.
From the 60s onwards it has basically been  Pele, Maradonna, Messi and Ronaldo.  Everyone else is a national hero.

(I don't mind you criticising the dead though - we took the opposite sides over Ray Clemence a few days ago).

42 minutes ago, chara said:

Sorry Droy..you are deliberately misunderstanding and thats not worthy of you even in a making a counter argument....it wasn't the cheating..I'm not so Roy of The Rovers that I don't know that..it was the glorying in it that sickened me.I gave credit for the other goal in the game in question and his skill but milking the handball? 

Again..you are just plain wrong about "really his problem"....agree it's not OUR problem but surely in the game some level of moral compass should be displayed by senior players. We all I think looked up to our heroes as kids and Maradona was not one I would use as any role model for a youngster...the skill set is not enough in the wider picture.

Deliberate fouling?..of course you are right but the incident in yesterdays game you use as an example of no call for card is fatuous and totally irrelevant.

I still condemn Barnes and Hunt among others but the incident in question will never ever be acceptable to me...I recall an equally talented player scoring a goal with his hand for France,,,,the after game response was far different from Maradona's.

There’s an overdose of motherhood and apple pie in here Chara. As for role models for children? Dear oh dear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

It was 1986 - 4 years after the Falklands.  Now I'm happy to defend Maggie/Britain over that, even the Belgrano sinking to some extent. 

Politics?

Ham   

It takes a certain type of character to even consider reaching up use his hand to tip the ball over the keeper. 

Not many players have ever done anything like that.  

Suarez has it in him too.  Do something scummy and justify it. 

Brilliant players. Not great human beings.  

Ham   
24 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

19 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

There’s an overdose of motherhood and apple pie in here Chara. As for role models for children? Dear oh dear.

Maybe I'm being dim but what is the core point you're trying to make here?

17 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

It takes a certain type of character to even consider reaching up use his hand to tip the ball over the keeper. 

Not many players have ever done anything like that.  

Suarez has it in him too.  Do something scummy and justify it. 

Brilliant players. Not great human beings.  

Suarez cheated Ghana in WC by punching the ball of the line - it was the only Red card in his career to date (excluding multiple retrospective bans), but penalty was saved and Uruguay went through.  But it is not a real problem - he got away with it - much like players get away with crucial fouls and "taking one for the team" on  a pretty much per game basis.  Ricardo Cavalho for example.  For my money a cynical foul is about the same as a cynical dive and a cynical handball less harmful than either.

There is a huge difference between the hand ball Suarez and the one that kicked Scottie Parker in the nuts when he jumped to head the ball or regularly stamps on achilles tendons.

Maradonna got away with a cheat, no big deal.

chara   
24 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Hmm PR.....maybe...but not intended....as ever it was the glorifying of the incident..not the handball itself that still offends me......I'm quite able to separate pitch v real life ...players are just ordinary guys basically with a special talent and I still believe they have a responsibility at least for public consumptions  AND who were your boyhood heroes with feet of clay?...we allm had them... 

chara   
34 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It was 1986 - 4 years after the Falklands.  Now I'm happy to defend Maggie/Britain over that, even the Belgrano sinking to some extent.  But I'm not going to criticise an Argentinean footballer for glorifying in a winning goal over England in 1986.

Best, Moore, Osgood, Giggs the game has always been full of heroes with limited morals or self control. But there have been very few player like Maradonna.
From the 60s onwards it has basically been  Pele, Maradonna, Messi and Ronaldo.  Everyone else is a national hero.

(I don't mind you criticising the dead though - we took the opposite sides over Ray Clemence a few days ago).

Missing the point Droy.....at no stage did I or am I debating his ability....and is that the Marc Anthony defence in there?...strange ..I do tend to defend you even if I don't post but you ignored or rather refused to comment on Clemence as a player but you seem to want to give Maradonna every kudo for his skill and playing career but not for cheating in front of the World and raising cheating to the level of a "miracle"....tawdy indeed.

I appreciate the 66 and Falklands overtones but that doesn't make it acceptable ........

Chrisb   
7 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

So is every other famous footballers but that doesn’t stop the media reporting on it thus getting it into the public domain where it influences people’s perceptions of the player.