• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

chara   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

There has been a huge amount of infighting amongst Arab states for the past 3 or so years.  They fund a massive amount of dishonest PR.  I would take that with a big pinch of salt (and certainly WC building will have been a very small part of Qatar construction for the past 10 years.

I'm not defending Qatar here, or choice of such a daft country to hold a summer sports event.

Thanks Droy.. appreciate the effort to reply......seemed a bit excessive but PR agendas know no limits!

WC effect on domestic ?

Sciatika   
15 hours ago, chara said:

Just read a report on line..from the Guardian originally I think...seems some 6500 immigrant workers have died since 2010 working on the World Cup construction etc.

Is that acceptable in our game?...... in addition to bring up old topic...what the hell is going to happen in domestic leagues with a November(?) WC date.

The Lunacy continues...

(Please remember "soccer" is not a first line sport reported over here so any info is welcomed by me)

I was bored with college work so I had a look. They are saying that 6500 migrants have died since they were awarded the World Cup in December 2010. This comes from information from government sources (in India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka) which have been compiled together. The number is certainly higher because it does not include deaths of people from the Philippines and Kenya where large numbers of workers in Qatar come from.

There is quite a lot of speculation in the article partly because the Qatar government, as Droy says, often does not report correct information either through negligence or incompetence (or both). The cause of death is an issue. A lot of deaths may be heat-related and then written up as "natural deaths". Suicide by hanging is given as asphyxia, a fall as blunt force trauma and so on. Cause of death is often without post mortem and written to give the best image possible. They quote someone from FairSquare projects who thinks they are largely people working on World Cup projects. I suspect that might be because it forms the biggest single project currently in the country, but this is not related to football so much as to the way that these states employ/abuse migrant workers.

Edited by Sciatika

35 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

There is quite a lot of speculation in the article partly because the Qatar government, as Droy says, often does not report correct information either through negligence or incompetence (or both).

That wasn't my point.  My point is that there is a helluva lot of money that gets paid to get dirty stories about Qatar in western media.  

So Fairsquare Projects, mentioned in the Guardian story,  report on immigrant labour across the Gulf.  2 mins into their site I found:
Serious concerns have been raised in reports about unexplained deaths of migrant workers in Saudi Arabia: 10,416 people from India alone reportedly died in Saudi Arabia between 2012 and 2018.19 There are well-founded concerns that many such deaths in Gulf countries may be caused by working in extreme heat
Fairsquare does at least seem to view the whole gulf as equally bad

So  10,400 in Saudi in 7 years  - compared to 2700 from India in 10 years in Qatar.
Directly related to the WC stadia, only 37 deaths have occurred in Qatar (of which just 3 were "work-related").
Sciatika points to a Fairsquare quote that they are largely working on WC projects.  Of course any hotel or airport project can be described as a WC project, but it does seem to be a very inexact and stretched claim.
(guardian story)

You won't see a similar story about Saudi construction workers though.
https://www.theguardian.com/profile/pete-pattisson
This is the Guardian page for the lead author.  33 stories about "human rights" around the world in 2 years.  13 of them about little Qatar - all of them negative.
(none about Saudi or Yemen).
Paid for PR

Sciatika   

Sorry. my mistake. I had moved stuff around and left the "as Droy says"  in where it was not appropriate.

JaneB   

Mason Mount says he learnt a lot from Frank Lampard but dismisses claims that he's a teacher's pet | Daily Mail Online

I love this guy so much.  What a wonderful role model (don't let me down Mason!!).

Ian St John RIP.

St and Greavsie; will always have a place in my heart as forerunner for football programs on the TV today

39 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Ian St John RIP.

St and Greavsie; will always have a place in my heart as forerunner for football programs on the TV today

Yes, they were great on TV together. 

Fond memories. 

RIP Ian 

Jasonb   

I liked them too though missed most of it, as was in the pub before matches and as soon as one team was mentioned the chanting drowned out the commentary.

Yet enjoyed the banter between the two, Greavsie always seemed the cheeky one and St John brought him back to the formal agenda with a suppressed grin.

Out of the two thought Greavsie was more perceptive.

RIP Ian.

chara   

Sad news....a man from a time when characters were to be found everywhere in the game.....we can only judge our team and players by the quality of the opposition..A worthy opponent and entertaining presenter...R.I.P...Ian.

Edited by chara
mistake

Sciatika   

I always liked him which, given my predisposition to dislike anything to do with Liverpool, says a lot more about his qualities than mine. Strangely, I don't really remember "Saint and Greavsie".