• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

On 18/09/2021 at 0:19 AM, JaneB said:

Good lord ... This is absolutely horrifying. I sincerely hope the club explores legal action. 

Ferguson calling him up to support him would read as hugely damning to anyone with half a brain, no matter what their feelings about Chelsea are. Two absolute crooks, even before you think about their footballing endeavours.

Ferguson would never have tried to intimidate refs like Clive "The Book" Thomas, if he pointed to his watch back in the's and 80's, Thomas would have just blown the final whistle there and then and told Ferguson where to stick his watch. 

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Marcos Alonso is no longer "taking the knee".

TOCWS Report

Good, just because he isn't taking the knee doesn't make him a racist, Zaha refuses to do it and John Barnes has said the same.

in other matters it makes you wonder how they allow certain people to get air time, this is so bias it's untrue.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/21/steve-mcmanaman-questions-chelsea-consistency-in-the-race-for-the-premier-league-title-15291775/?ito=newsnow-feed

7 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

Good, just because he isn't taking the knee doesn't make him a racist, Zaha refuses to do it and John Barnes has said the same.

in other matters it makes you wonder how they allow certain people to get air time, this is so bias it's untrue.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/21/steve-mcmanaman-questions-chelsea-consistency-in-the-race-for-the-premier-league-title-15291775/?ito=newsnow-feed

Alonso - I'm curious how this came out.  It seems he has been not kneeling since the start of the season, just touching his BLM logo (or whatever it is) on his sleeve to show respect.
It feels like Chelsea tried not to comment, but now have put the story out on the official site to pre-empt more critical reports.  

Metro / McManaman.    I think if you ask an ex-Liverpool player to comment on the top three in the prem, you can't blame him for coming up with a rationale to back the two that have done well in recent years.  At least it is an argument that contains some commonsense  (ie McManaman and not Carragher or worse).  I'd expect Pat Nevin to say something that favoured Chlsea

The question isn't why McManaman wrote the piece that way, but why so many Liverpool ex-players get columns, most of them having far less acumen than McManaman.

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Marcos Alonso is no longer "taking the knee".

TOCWS Report

I am interested to see what the mainstream reaction to this will be. The temptation to frame Alonso and Chelsea as "racist" must be huge for most news outlets given it is content people will want to read, but any such content would be very difficult to write and frame without throwing the likes of Zaha under the bus and risking a backlash. 

I think I said at the time it started that taking the knee (which I broadly support) was going to cause a PR headache at some point. It can't go on forever (or can it?) and it's not going to outlast racism, so at some point some players and clubs are going to stop and risk a lot of stick.

My thoughts here ... I'm glad the club (presumably) haven't tried to force the issue on Alonso, but I do wonder if discussing it with the rest of the team, and especially the black players, beforehand might have been more sensible.

15 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

My thoughts here ... I'm glad the club (presumably) haven't tried to force the issue on Alonso, but I do wonder if discussing it with the rest of the team, and especially the black players, beforehand might have been more sensible.

Sensible to do, yes.
It puts a lot of pressure on his team mates though, when they are asked what they said to Alonso when it was discussed.
Either way, I reckon saying it was not discussed is the smart option.  

chara   
31 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sensible to do, yes.
It puts a lot of pressure on his team mates though, when they are asked what they said to Alonso when it was discussed.
Either way, I reckon saying it was not discussed is the smart option.  

That makes more sense than a "never discussed" scenario.....a group of sort of adults working close together and nothing "mentioned"?.....

chara   

Am I the only one watching with a jaundiced eye the TT media almost luvfest regarding the game shattering absolute mark of a football genius substitution at half time at Spurs?

That a player was off form and..goodness me...got switched with a world class player reeks of a higher coaching ability than anyone on the Planet Football....swoon.

My thoughts are "THEY" are rubbing their hands at the weekend game..the clash..Pep reborn if Chelsea lose....or further B/s**t if City lose.....a thought free headline weekend!

• Like 1

paulw66   
2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I think I said at the time it started that taking the knee (which I broadly support) was going to cause a PR headache at some point. It can't go on forever (or can it?) and it's not going to outlast racism, so at some point some players and clubs are going to stop and risk a lot of stick.

This is just it.........everyone is too afraid to stop.

QPR tried, and got pelted, even though they could point to their own club being more diverse and inclusive than most. 

The natural point to stop would have been the end of the 2019/20 season, at the end of the post lockdown games.

We don't clap for the NHS any more. Doesn't mean we aren't grateful for the work those doctors and nurses did / do.