• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

An idiot, who beats up girls, and then goes on the radio taking the moral high ground whenever a footballer steps out of line.

Absolute c u next tuesday

So he'll fit in well with the rest of the MotD ensemble.

Ex Liverpool - check

Likes to take the moral high ground - check

An absolute fool - check

C'mon lads it was "only once and only an open hand".

cc1173   

At least he might provide some entertainment as he's a bit of a WUM (as most people in jobs like his need to be).

More generally I think people need to understand the incentives of those in the media. They are not trying to actively promote biased views, they are trying to generate interest in their stories. In the days of internet advertising hits on their webpage are the main aim. This goal is most easily achieved by writing stories that get a reaction. A fair and insightful article (in mainstream media) will be much less profitable for the company.

Of course the ex pro "pundits" are a different kettle of fish altogether.

Flinkers   

At least he might provide some entertainment as he's a bit of a WUM (as most people in jobs like his need to be).

More generally I think people need to understand the incentives of those in the media. They are not trying to actively promote biased views, they are trying to generate interest in their stories. In the days of internet advertising hits on their webpage are the main aim. This goal is most easily achieved by writing stories that get a reaction. A fair and insightful article (in mainstream media) will be much less profitable for the company.

Of course the ex pro "pundits" are a different kettle of fish altogether.

But by signing up what seems to be every ex-Liverpool player under the sun to provide said interest, they leave themselves open to accusations of fostering bias.

I'm not saying replace every pundit with players who only wore Chelsea Blue, but I'm fairly certain there are plenty of other footballers, who played for clubs other than Liverpool, that could offer opinions guaranteed to increase web clicks. Heck, we might even get a better standard of sports coverage.

Edited by Flinkers

But by signing up what seems to be every ex-Liverpool player under the sun to provide said interest, they leave themselves open to accusations of fostering bias.

I'm not saying replace every pundit with players who only wore Chelsea Blue, but I'm fairly certain there are plenty of other footballers, who played for clubs other than Liverpool, that could offer opinions guaranteed to increase web clicks. Heck, we might even get a better standard of sports coverage.

I love it when Pat Nevin is on the show, as he really stirs the pot. I love it when Hansen, Shearer and Lineker are sitting there nodding their heads to the most stupid opinions I've ever heard in my life, and Pat Nevin just calls a spade a spade.

Collymore is not one of my favourite people, but his pundit work for Channel 5 on the Europa League a few years ago was actually pretty good- composed and thoughtful, and although sentimental towards Liverpool he was open about it and willing to criticise them. He was on with Pat Nevin fairly often and they made for a good duo- far better than the Hansen/Shearer/Savage crap over on the BBC.

I always found it odd, because his pundit stuff seemed completely at odds with the WUM sh*t-stirrer personality he'd cultivated on radio and in the written word, on Twitter and his articles.

If he brings his old Channel 5 game and leaves the TalkSport stuff in the office, he might not be that bad.

bert19   

If you're really unhappy with something/someone on the BBC, then write/email to complain.

And encourage others with similar feelings as you to do the same.

The public fund the BBC, so if enough people are really quite annoyed that their license fee is going towards paying the salary of someone who is really rather unpleasant and they complain about it, it's really not going to be in the BBC's interest to persist with them

Khobar   

Collymore on MOTD? The same Collymore who has recently offended everybody on the veterans forums I visit due to his comments on the Falklands?

Another reason not to watch.

I don't have SKY anymore but I really do try and seek out Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher's analysis from MNF on YouTube.

It's completely a cut-above and rarely do you watch it and not learn something new.

They have some adversarial banter too which adds to the idea that it's a couple of mates in a pub (albeit those who know what they're talking about).

Until the MOTD can replicate that, they're p*****g in the wind - I watch it because it's on terrestrial TV.

JaneB   

I'm not sure this is the right thread but I saw earlier that Joey Barton was on Question Time tonight. I know the BBC is dumbing down all the time but this is pretty disturbing.