• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Skyryser   

I'm lost on this thread. Can someone explain why people are saying Rooney has got away with it? Why its different treatment for Rooney to the Chelsea boys? I dont see anything different.

From what I've seen it has been front page of the papers since Sunday (now Wednesday), all chat shows are talking about it, even David Cameron made a joke about it.

The press/media paranoia from posters on this site cracks me up.

Yep. Agree with you totally, as I said in my previous posts. You're lost, probably, because you have not taken these factors into consideration:

1. Most Chelsea fans are just as biased as Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U, Everton etc. fans and therefore cannot be reasonable with these types of stories.

2. Scandals and misery sell more than any other stories.

3. The Mourinho "siege" mentality obviously still persists, even though it faded around the time of Scolari/Hiddink.

4. People are still understandably upset over what happened to JT, and now have a target on which to vent their anger.

5. I think (possibly) that the fact that he has reacted positively on the pitch has made some really lose their cool as they cannot attack Rooney both personally and professionally. Well done boy.

6. Rooney is a big target. The English press has on one hand touted him as the best in the world and is tearing his private life to newspaper-sized morsels on the other. Being so immediately popular means a scandal will bring out the hate mobs. I never saw such venomous reactions when Marlon King was convicted of rape or Joey Barton locked away for practically smashing a guy's skull to death.

I really hope some day the gutter press in this country is dealt with in the most efficient way possible; I'd wish for people to stop buying their papers. I obviously live in la-la land ey? I wonder if the next logical player to have a scandal on is G. Johnson or G. Barry? Maybe Defoe?

simon   

Now during the JT case the "allegations" were spelt out in gory detail. Hypocrisy no?

Dont understand what you mean Hypocrisy? Allegations?

Thats this story front page for the 5th day running. The press are hardly going easy on him are they.

And here in Italy (e.g. belusconi) players and politicians are expected to have affairs! My wife thinks it strange that we English bother to even talk about it

Yeah I've heard they make a lot less of a 'toodo' about it in Italy. That's why I think Capello was forced into acting with JT because of the Media hype. He's even said today that "For me the performance of the player is important, not the armband," said Capello. "It is not a priority for me. The armband is not important."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,19692_6365900,00.html

I don't think it's a coincedence that there's been far less of a public outcry over Crouchy and Rooney compared with JT (said before more stories this Sunday no doubt) and therefore there's not been too much from Capello.

Surely though he's a stronger character than that to let the Media dictate things? It just shows the power/influence the Media has these days.

I think that it's clear that Rooney is not getting off lightly but I detect far less venom in the tone of the articles towards him. Partly I'm sure because England needs him as a player (though he is overrated) and partly because of who he plays for. You don't have it being discussed on BBC breakfast and womens columists adding their two penneth quite so much.With rooney there it's almost as if they are holding back slightly for some reason-perhaps they are scared of him refusing to play for England (wouldn't win anything anyway!). There is a bias/resentment against Chelsea but we are also a bit sensitive as well unsurprisingly. Personally I don't care enough about England to mind whether they unsettle the camp with Chelsea I'm afraid we will attract unnecessary flak (in the midst of this Rooney scandal apparently JT and Lampard have become not good enough to start for England) but every success that Chelsea has hurts these fools and makes me enjoy it more!!

The funny thing for me is that these kind of things have been going on for decades (just read between the lines in Ossie's biography for instance) it's the attitude of the media that has changed with the likes of the daily papers and the BBC being extremely PC and feminised these days so any playing away is turned into a witch hunt regardless where a woman doing something similar (Sienna Miller one example) is given more of a 'go girl'pat on the back.

One things for sure and that is there will be a need for a 'WAG Expert'to pontificate for some time to come.

simon   

You don't have it being discussed on BBC breakfast and womens columists adding their two penneth quite so much.With rooney there it's almost as if they are holding back slightly for some reason-perhaps they are scared of him refusing to play for England

Women columnists are bang on this one everywhere. It was Lorraine Kelly's first words on her new 'day break' show. Are you based in the UK? My Mrs knows more about this story than me, meaning all her shows & magazines have been crucifying Rooney like they did JT.

paulw66   

1. England needed Carragher for Russia and Croatia!! Are you kidding. 1 point would hav been enough, and surely England can do with a lesser CB for that.

I never said England "needed" Carragher...... what I said was, he was asked to play and flatly refused. We then lost both games, conceding 5 goals in the process.

Whether or Scholes was "available" more often or not than Carragher is irrelevant. The fact is Scholes played 66 games for England and decided for the sake of the longevity of his career to retire. He was also in the position of knowing that Lampard and Gerrard were there to take on the baton.

Carragher retired because he threw a strop over not being picked. When we then had a injury crisis at the back he refused to play.

paulw66   

Dont understand what you mean Hypocrisy? Allegations?

Thats this story front page for the 5th day running. The press are hardly going easy on him are they.

The press aren't going easy on him but I didn't hear much booing of Rooney on Tuesday night by the England fans - the only reaosn is that everyone knows we (England) need him badly.

If JT or Ashley got found sleeping (or were alleged to) with prositutes, the England fans would boo every time they touched the ball.

The press aren't going easy on him but I didn't hear much booing of Rooney on Tuesday night by the England fans

Its down to us at club level to help him see the red mist as he surely will.

At international level players should not be booed for anything except their performance. That's where small minded English oppo fans are wrong to have booed JT and Ash.

to be fair it does seem the press are running and growing the story though.