• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Martin Samuel having a go at the size of our club/number of our supporters...

Apparently our ground is rarely full for Champions League games? News to me, always looks packed to capacity when I go, unless he's expecting us to sell out those UEFA bits that you're not allowed to purchase a seat in. Oh and the main point seems that attendances have risen from 39k-41k at a cost of £278k per fan... someones forgetting the whole load of fans overseas etc that will be buying merchandise etc.

More rubbish I suppose, nothing that differs much from the norm.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/attend.html

That is the average attendances for home teams this season. Only Blackpool, Man Utd and Arsenal are in front of us. And we're also frequently in the top 3, only beaten by Arsenal and Tottenham.

As for Champions League games - 41,000 turned up for a meanlingless group games against Apoel Nicosia last season so I have no idea what he's talking about. How about 25,000 at Anfield for their midweek European game? I don't see them being the subject of an article like this.

Edited by Joe Cole's Box of Tricks

Sciatika   

As a general question, is our capacity 41,841 or 42,500?

Capacity depends on the fixture. When we play in the CL, a number of seats are used to house media that would normally be available for PL and domestic games. But in general for PL games it is 41841. Football stats 365 has the capacity wrong. I wrote to them last season to correct it (yes, I can be a bit of a pedant sometimes), but they ignored me. So, it should read:

6 Chelsea(1) 3 124281 41761 41427 41841 99.0%

The difference of 414 between the average and capacity is probably mostly down to block booking for away fans. Suppose, we make a block of 1800 seats available to away fans and only 1400 are actually sold, the remaining 400 have to be left empty because of the requirement to segregate.

Flo17   

Martin Samuel having a go at the size of our club/number of our supporters...

At least this article shuts up all those "Where were you when you were sh*t" stuff we always seem to get. The difference in average attendance is probably mostly due to clubs bringing more away fans because they want to come and watch us play.

For Martin samuel this is a pretty lame article he usually bats above the frivelous nonsense like crowd size/noise or playing style. One bit of this is particularly annoying and it is the 'jump from 15000 odd in 1989 to 39000 odd in 2002-This totally disregards average crowds in the mid to late 90s which were well above 15000 during which the stadium was being redeveloped. It also disregards the fact that we could easily draw in 42000 and well over for some games even before the years in question. It's just lazy journalism that fuels the where were you when you were .... brigade. Chelsea have always had the fan base the fact is that they didn't turn up every week due to several things (one huge thing being the week to week levels of football quality or lack of it) but of course none of 'the real facts' can be used to undermine which can only be the purpose of this article.

Perhaps Mr Samuel is a bit fed up as we beat his beloved Ammers (who of course have always averaged 35000 ...NOT) last week!!

There's quite a lot wrong with that article. For instance, "Yet Chelsea's average gate since Abramovich came in would still not constitute a sell-out". I hate to break it to you, Martin, no average gate would ever constitute a sell-out unless every single game is a sell-out, which is unlikely due to block booking away seats. The equation of investment to seats implies that ROI comes primarily from the extra ticket sales - it doesn't. I kept thinking as I was reading it, "where is he going with this?". In the end, I think the key is in the second t last paragraph. His argument is that it is hard to grow a club organically because things such as capacity increases require huge investment. I think he is trying to argue that, in the world of FFP, such investment will be all but impossible. Again, he has the detail wrong because large capital investment for projects such as stadia is still allowed under FFP, but I sort of see what he is trying to say. By the time he gets there, the argument is so weak that he only lands a very soft punch. Not one of his better days, imo.

All good points.

One more - the stadium capacity is limited for CL games because of the demands of UEFA for press, TV an TV equipment and free tickets.

For example, the home CL semi against Barca had an attendance of just 37,857. Whereas Blackpool at home was 41,761!

Now I don't think demand for tickets was greater against Blackpool.

Chelsea should have exploded in Abramovich's time, making a move to bigger premises essential.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1313469/Martin-Samuel-Roman-Abramovichs-457m-1-639-new-Chelsea-fans.html#ixzz1042YxGlu

Yes we all know a larger ground would be nice but its not possible to extend Stamford Bridge. Martin has also neglected to mention that West London isn't exactly awash with open spaces ready accommodate a 60,000 stadium.

Yet on June 9, Chelsea announced season tickets were available to any 2010/11 member with 67 loyalty points or more, the equivalent of having attended every home match last season, using a ticket purchased on free sale.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1313469/Martin-Samuel-Roman-Abramovichs-457m-1-639-new-Chelsea-fans.html#ixzz103wAVVsw

Free sale? You mean on sale to members only. Free sale implies general sale. The vast majority of league games never make it to general sale. Its impossible to accumulate 67 points on free sale.

At least this article shuts up all those "Where were you when you were sh*t" stuff we always seem to get. The difference in average attendance is probably mostly due to clubs bringing more away fans because they want to come and watch us play.

Prehaps we should sing "where were you when we were sh*t"

Flinkers   

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I work that out as an average of 40.5k spectators for the last decade and a half.

(39750 x 7) + (41400 x 7) = 568050 / 14 = 40575

A 95% attendance rate to me indicates sustained demand for tickets and that we have outgrown our stadium already. Sure there are always going to be games like the Rosenborg one in 2007 but there's room for significant growth for Chelsea Football Club, if we weren't hamstrung by Ken Bates' white elephant and our access problems. Gourlay and Buck have said recently that better video rights distribution or higher quality electronic services on game day will help us bridge the revenue gap between us and the stadia of 50k and more but that's not strictly true. Any advances made in electronic rights would be swiftly copied by our rivals unless we achive patent protection, thereby maintaining the gap. A larger stadium, IMO, is absolutely necessary if we want to maintain our position as an elite team.

The match day experience is made by the fans there and the football on show. If it's dull (see the aforementioned Rosenborg game) they won't come, but now that our football is some of the best on offer, when 12 year old Sammy from the Samuel Lewis Estates, Surrey, Sydney or Seattle chooses us as his team instead of Liverpool or Manchester United (because we're currently better) he's going to need somewhere to sit too.

Samuel's points regarding Tottenham and Arsenal are meaningless - if we had a stadium the size of WHL or of Spurs planned stadium, we'd fill it; if we had one the size of Arsenal's, we'd fill that too. The only reason we've stayed constant at 41.5k spectators since 2004 is because that's the limit of people we can fit in there!!! The extra numbers at Ashburton Grove didn't just come from the waiting list as not all those 20k on there were given, or could afford access to season tickets. The number of executive boxes was also dramatically increased giving access to larger revenue streams from corporate clients and there are just as many walk-ups or daytrippers there as at Stamford Bridge.

More seats means more bums on them, which in turn means more money. We should be going all out to find a way to increase numbers.

guddy69   

"The north Londoners are already four points behind rivals Chelsea, but Denilson insisted: 'Arsenal are the best team. We have the players and we have the touch. Chelsea have very strong players but they are old.

'This was just one game, we are still in a good position - and we play like Barcelona. Arsenal are going to win a trophy this season"

We might as well give up now, we are to old!

Prehaps we should sing "where were you when we were sh*t"

Too right.

As per usual the Blackpool fans were at it again yesterday with the "where were you when we were sh*t" nonsense.

They need a little closer to home!! Last season average crowd there was 11'684 (the season before that considerably lower) & this season 15'529 - A difference of about 33%.

Perhaps we should indeed bat it back to the others.