• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Ham   

I liked this (and bear in mind that Die Zeit is more like The Times than the Sun -- as its name suggests!).

German comedy. That's as good as it gets.

Khobar   

Nah, watch Henning Wehn.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/28/heysel-tragedy-violence-affects-football-council-of-europe

Six paragraphs before the club Juve were playing that night get a mention.

I watched a sky tv piece that managed not to mention Liverpool at all I think. They were talking to a photographer who was there. The only Liverpool reference was a photo he took of a worried looking Joe Fagon during the game , the horror apparently etched on his face. Not sure that's strictly true as I thought seeing as the game took place most were unaware (and by the way , no mention that Joe Fagon was even the Liverpool manager - most young supporters won't know that).

Back in the 80s there was a very popular book in Germany, The Wit and Wisdom of Chancellor Kohl (or somesuch), which was a lovely-looking hardback tome with nothing but blank pages...

Harvz   

This isn't technically Media, but its a damn good read if you enjoy Football Manager and/or have had any dabbling in Moneyball books/movies.

http://thesetpieces.com/features/football-manager-meets-moneyball-pt-1/

Basically, this guy plays as Bristol City for ten seasons, only buying players that are out of contract/hugely undervalued, and automatically accepting bids for any of his players that are higher than their value. Net spend of around £1m or so over the ten seasons. Moneyball is very real, so while this is based on a game, its technically a rough simulation of how it might work in real life*. Makes a pleasant change from the usual media approach of only writing about things that involve huge transfer fees.

* - I have an interest in this as I used to attend FC Midtjylland (Denmark) games with with one of their scouts. They're now being recognised as a pioneer of Moneyball in Europe, but to be honest, they've been using the approach for much longer than the last few years.

I can't get interested much in this because it is how to play Football Manager, not how to play football. FM has a set of rules, which while is complex, is a hell of a lot simpler to game than real football where the underlying factors are a hell of a lot more complex.

I like the fact he references Kuper/Szymanski who seem very smart from what I have seen. Disappointed that he references Anderson/Sally, - everything I have read by them is just plain naive - Maths (or rather regression analysis) with no understanding of the underlying football.

I loved Moneyball - I have been reading Michael Lewis from Liar's Poker (but the Blind Side is his best sports book). And I am all for Sports being guided by stats. But when I worked in finance years ago, there were some really smart people making low risk good returns, and then a lot of pure frauds who just upped the risk levels until they made the bonus they wanted (and went from firm to firm on reputation). There are the same guys in sport - Mike Frorde being the most obvious.

I can't get interested much in this because it is how to play Football Manager, not how to play football. FM has a set of rules, which while is complex, is a hell of a lot simpler to game than real football where the underlying factors are a hell of a lot more complex.

I like the fact he references Kuper/Szymanski who seem very smart from what I have seen. Disappointed that he references Anderson/Sally, - everything I have read by them is just plain naive - Maths (or rather regression analysis) with no understanding of the underlying football.

I loved Moneyball - I have been reading Michael Lewis from Liar's Poker (but the Blind Side is his best sports book). And I am all for Sports being guided by stats. But when I worked in finance years ago, there were some really smart people making low risk good returns, and then a lot of pure frauds who just upped the risk levels until they made the bonus they wanted (and went from firm to firm on reputation). There are the same guys in sport - Mike Frorde being the most obvious.

I don't know when you got out of finance but when I was doing that in the City that was 90% of the guys.

It's a bollocks profession and I was ashamed to tell my dad (who's an engineer) what I made after only two years. Moving air and making tonnes of cash. Basically a monkey could do a lot of what these guys do today.