• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I was intrigued to read that the 11 founding clubs wouldn't be relegated for the first 20 years of the competition. "Relegated" to where? It would require whoever is behind this super league to negotiate with the Premier League, Ligue Un, Serie A, etc., etc., and all the various clubs involved in those leagues to go along with this breakaway and accept a system of promotion and relegation far too complicated for anyone to agree to. Let's say for example that the winners of an emaciated Champions League and Europa League get promoted and the bottom two of the new Super League get relegated. Now if one relegated and one promoted club happen to come from the same country, then great. But otherwise it'll be a mess. An English Championship team might reach a promotion spot only to find they can't be promoted to the Premier League after all because an English European Super League team got relegated down to the Prem. I can't see the Championship team being happy about that!

From what I understand , the European league will replace the Champions league and run alongside the normal European leagues.

I expect the 20 years rule will coincide with "European league division 2" being introduced to replace the Europa league .

When I say "replace" I mean make obsolete. 

21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

From what I understand , the European league will replace the Champions league and run alongside the normal European leagues.

I expect the 20 years rule will coincide with "European league division 2" being introduced to replace the Europa league .

When I say "replace" I mean make obsolete. 

Even so, if there is a European 2nd tier, things will be complicated! A Portuguese and a Greek side are in the bottom two places. Does that mean they get replaced by Portuguese and Greek teams? If not, and they are replaced by, say, an English and a German club, that has potential knock-on effects for four national league structures. It's simply not workable. So I ask again, where do clubs relegated from this European Super League go to? Having stuck two fingers up at their own national leagues, would they be welcomed back? Even if they were, surely the clubs in those national leagues would no-doubt want them to follow the example of Glasgow Rangers and start from the bottom tier. No club in the top division of a national league would willingly forego their place for a club that had left their league for a better league but then been forced to leave through 'relegation'

Every now and then we hear rumours of break-away leagues involving the top clubs in Europe, and then nothing happens, except those top clubs are offered a bit more TV money, a better chance of qualifying for the following season, etc., etc.

If Chelsea drop out of the Premier League and/or UEFA competitions in order to join a closed shop European Super League would anyone still support them?

37 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

If Chelsea drop out of the Premier League and/or UEFA competitions in order to join a closed shop European Super League would anyone still support them?

As with the Premier League, or Packer Cricket, it will be a TV lead deal.  Chelsea will be a big game on TV every week.  Half of London will support us.

Ham   
21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

As with the Premier League, or Packer Cricket, it will be a TV lead deal.  Chelsea will be a big game on TV every week.  Half of London will support us.

🤣

Ham   
23 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

90% of London will DESPISE us.

Fixed

Jasonb   
2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Surely the club should consult the members first?

Commentator on BT Sport just now:

Having beaten Tottenham, Liverpool are looking to do the double over the two biggest London teams

WTF?  Numpty.

8 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much. This same story (or some variation thereof) gets dragged out every few years, and has been for quite a while now. i can't see anything more in this latest effort, than just another media beat up.

People thought the Premier League couldn't work, and that the move from European Cup to Champions League was a doomed, temporary experiment. 

If there is will for a European super league, it will happen. And part of the frustration from the clubs not included will be that they simply do not have the clout to do anything about it.