• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Ham   
21 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

People thought the Premier League couldn't work, and that the move from European Cup to Champions League was a doomed, temporary experiment. 

If there is will for a European super league, it will happen. And part of the frustration from the clubs not included will be that they simply do not have the clout to do anything about it.

My only question is what is the qualifying criteria?

If city are being invited, is that fair to the likes of Porto or Ajax?

Wouldn't it be devalued before it even started?

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

People thought the Premier League couldn't work, and that the move from European Cup to Champions League was a doomed, temporary experiment. 

If there is will for a European super league, it will happen. And part of the frustration from the clubs not included will be that they simply do not have the clout to do anything about it.

Yes.  Most of the money for football now comes from TV.  And most of the rest comes from Sponsors looking to gain TV exposure.  So of course it is going to happen.

The only viable alternative would be a Premier League plus.  10 PL teams plus an invited 10 European teams playing a full time league.  I wish the Prem would take a lead on that.

BTW given the negative articles on it I keep reading in the Times, I guess Sky is not on board with this.

paulw66   
43 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/manchester-city-exposed-bending-the-rules-to-the-tune-of-millions-a-1236346.html

A German paper has done an exposée on City cheating FFP with leaked emails etc. Hasn't been much fanfare about it in the UK press. Apparently there will be a Part 2 to come as well.

I would be amazed if anything comes of this, although we all know it should.........

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/manchester-city-exposed-bending-the-rules-to-the-tune-of-millions-a-1236346.html

A German paper has done an exposée on City cheating FFP with leaked emails etc. Hasn't been much fanfare about it in the UK press. Apparently there will be a Part 2 to come as well.

Apparently there is a war on in Yemen.
Apparently one party colluded with a government to influence the US Presidential elections.
Once the press decide to ignore a subject, it doesn't matter how much real news comes out later.  That just conflicts with the message.

Ham   

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11546185/manchester-city-respond-to-ffp-claims-in-der-spiegel

SSN are now covering it. 

I'm not sure why anyone feels that the powers that be won't want to deal with this. If it was Barca or Real then maybe but city are nouveau riche with absolutely no European pedigree. 

Leaked internal emails confirming fake figures cannot be ignored. 

10 minutes ago, Ham said:

Leaked internal emails confirming fake figures cannot be ignored. 

Just watch them.

Ham   
20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just watch them.

I genuinely think that this exposé makes it impossible for UEFA to be seen to be ignoring it. Previously the "investigation" was done in private. 

This isn't just a related parties issue. This is a case of actual shortfalls being cynically plugged with fake cash. 

False accounting is fraud, surely? 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I genuinely think that this exposé makes it impossible for UEFA to be seen to be ignoring it. Previously the "investigation" was done in private. 

This isn't just a related parties issue. This is a case of actual shortfalls being cynically plugged with fake cash. 

False accounting is fraud, surely? 

I would have thought it is something the tax man might be interested in too, especially if these other companies have been cooking the books as well. HMRC have upped their regulations regarding money laundering which is what this sounds like.

The Spiegel report claims Uefa handed down lenient fines to City and PSG due to threats from the countries backing them, is it coincidence the papers were awash with stories about a breakaway European super league just before this story broke? 

Ham   
7 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I would have thought it is something the tax man might be interested in too, especially if these other companies have been cooking the books as well. HMRC have upped their regulations regarding money laundering which is what this sounds like.

The Spiegel report claims Uefa handed down lenient fines to City and PSG due to threats from the countries backing them, is it coincidence the papers were awash with stories about a breakaway European super league just before this story broke? 

Good point. Are they, for example, showing outgoing sponsorship contributions of £35m as opposed to £8m?