• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

35 minutes ago, Ham said:

Shouldn't we address double standards in the media in this thread? 

Should we, Ham? Only that? Chicken and egg stuff, surely? The question won't go away - and it's very relevant.  Sure, the media reporting is biassed, but that doesn't change the fact ugly (and racist) chanting is disgusting, and moronic - no matter who is doing the chanting. . 

33 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Anyone know what the chant is? 

I suspect it is one of the garden variety anti-Spurs songs. Don't mistake me, I bloody hate those songs and really do not think any football fan should be using the 'y' word, but would be raising a serious eyebrow if any governing body came after the club for them. The club itself can make comments, sure, but I really would struggle with the double-standards there. 

Ham   
17 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Should we, Ham? Only that? Chicken and egg stuff, surely? The question won't go away - and it's very relevant.  Sure, the media reporting is biassed, but that doesn't change the fact ugly (and racist) chanting is disgusting, and moronic - no matter who is doing the chanting. . 

Ok.  So because discussing it won't solve it, I won't discuss it.

JaneB   

Media double standards apart and all the sanctimonious hypocrisy that goes with them, surely we scored 2 own goals tonight, the 2nd from so called Chelsea supporters who pay all that money to watch their team abroad and then spend the match making offensive chants. 

Have a few beers and then turn into utter morons. It's just pathetic.

synavm   

No reason to bring race or religion into a football match ever. No reason to make threats or be seriously abusive either.

There's a pretty clear line between passion and bigotry, and if you think football is an excuse to do the latter, kindly **** off with all the other Neanderthals to the next EDL march.

I don't care what has or has to happened tonight or at the weekend - I've seen racism first hand at Chelsea on multiple occasions, we all know it happens so I 100% believe the reports and I'm 100% sick of it - we're not alone, I know, but if we actually care we should start by taking a stand against the minority of scumbags in our own supporter base.

Edited by synavm
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, synavm said:

No reason to bring race or religion into a football match ever. No reason to make threats or be seriously abusive either.

There's a pretty clear line between passion and bigotry, and if you think football is an excuse to do the latter, kindly **** off with all the other Neanderthals to the next EDL march.

I don't care what has or has to happened tonight or at the weekend - I've seen racism first hand at Chelsea on multiple occasions, we all know it happens so I 100% believe the reports and I'm 100% sick of it - we're not alone, I know, but if we actually care we should start by taking a stand against the minority of scumbags in our own supporter base.

Well said.  Yes, we all know that it happens, and that's it's been happening for a long, long time. Late 60's/early 70's it was rampant. 50-odd year's later, it's much better of course, but it remains a small, but sick part of our  so-called 'support'. Seriously inexcusable.

synavm   
3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Well said.  Yes, we all know that it happens, and that's it's been happening for a long, long time. Late 60's/early 70's it was rampant. 50-odd year's later, it's much better of course, but it remains a small, but sick part of our  so-called 'support'. Seriously inexcusable.

I think on the most part it's been reduced to small groups in the MHL and on away trips, but nevertheless, it's an issue that we need to take a stand against. I remember going to the SoBar ten years ago or so and I'd hear four or five racist chants every half hour. It was literally like going to a National Front meeting. 

RE the chants last night, I think a lot hinges upon what the chants actually were. We have chants that make reference to Tottenham using anti-semitic terms which are ignorant as opposed to overtly racist (I.e. folk aren't intending to use the y-word as a slur against Jews, but think it is an acceptable reference to Tottenham), and then we have chants that are intentionally anti-semitic that don't normally get an airing (the one that matches the tune to 'Spurs are on their way to Wembley', the one about a poor man in a bar). 

Either way, absolutely all of it needs eradicating, but I do think context is important. 

• Like 1

Ham   
4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

As you wish.

It wasn't my wish Michael.  You're an admin and you suggested that we shouldn't be discussing media double standards in the media thread because discussing it wouldn't change the facts.

We may as well stop discussing anything that we can't control then. 

FWIW, the song they were referring to last night was the "Barcelona, Real Madrid, Tottenham are a load of" song.

Non-Jewish Spurs fans have absolutely no right to call themselves this collective name and the Chelsea fan references are an attack on their collective fanbase only, not on Jewish people. 

I pray that the authorities stamp down on Tottenham first and seriously deal with their anti-Semitic use of the word and that as a result, nobody else, including various other London clubs, have any excuse going forward to even acknowledge the existence of the word. 

It reminds me of the "n word" issue. There used to be a number of horrible words 40-50 years ago for black people but all but one have gone, forgotten.  The only one that survives is the one that has been "owned" by the former victims. 

Spurs are keeping the word alive.  Whenever they are challenged on this they sing "We'll sing what we want". 

All comes back to the double standards debate.