• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Recommended Posts

Ham   
3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Best CH we've ever had in my humble opinion.

Actually we've been incredibly fortunate in that area over the years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ham said:

Actually we've been incredibly fortunate in that area over the years. 

Indeed.

He's still the best though ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneB   
14 hours ago, Don Keebles said:

Ah, still drag my Lord Percy shirt every now and again. Quality player.

I still have one in my cupboard.  Watching him and JT play together, how they complimented each other and the understanding between them, is one of my favourite Chelsea memories.

Goosebumps...………. 

ricardo and jt.jpg

Edited by JaneB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
On 2/9/2019 at 0:25 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Seriously?  A player who wants to leave so he can play his best position gets into a childish squabble about what the club can and can't make him do, and makes the perfectly reasonable point that if the club picks him he can chose to play badly or even shoot an own goal.  And that gets used against him - not uneducated stroppy and rather silly player against highly qualified club negotiators, but by highly qualified negotiators against naive player.

There is a huge disgrace in there for me too.  Not by Gallas.

(And it was used to duck criticism that the club had lost Gallas)

1. Gallas threw a strop becuase he wanted more money. The position thing is a red herring. We were trying to sign Ashley Cole at the time, so if Gallas had stayed, left back was off the table for about 8 years. 

2. The notion that a professional player being paid millions of pounds can threaten to deliberately derail his own team is "reasonable".........my God. Childish at best. Hugely unprofessional at worst. 

3. The way Gallas behaved thereafter for Arsenal showed his true colours...these images were off the Arsenal captain, sitting down in the centre circle whilst his team had to defend a penalty kick

 William-Gallas.jpg.763923e80b7447d2f76df5178a314463.jpgWilliam-Gallas-Football365.jpg.cf3a2cca1740ae7582a5676c190f5946.jpg

Edited by paulw66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
On 2/10/2019 at 9:06 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Best CH we've ever had in my humble opinion.

IMO, great player Lord Percy might have been, JT is the greatest CH the PL has ever seen. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

1. Gallas threw a strop because he wanted more money. The position thing is a red herring. We were trying to sign Ashley Cole at the time, so if Gallas had stayed, left back was off the table for about 8 years. 

2. The notion that a professional player being paid millions of pounds can threaten to deliberately derail his own team is "reasonable".........my God. Childish at best. Hugely unprofessional at worst. 

3. The way Gallas behaved thereafter for Arsenal showed his true colours...these images were off the Arsenal captain, sitting down in the centre circle whilst his team had to defend a penalty kick

1.  Absolutely right.  Not that there has ever been any issue with players wanting more money as far as I am concerned.  The red herring is that Gallas said something in a private meeting.  Basically someone at the club decided to get him by leaking a private story to embarrass and cover up the fact that the club had failed to keep him.

2.  Childish in a private meeting - he is a football player not a professional negotiaotor.
But also reasonable.  Private meeting, discussion as to whether Chelsea can "make him play".  Sounds perfectly reasonable to me (unless you think the bastard opposite might leak the comment to the press out of spite).

3.  More nonsense stuff - so what?  When did you last see a team concede a unnecessary goal at a penalty because they only had 9 men rushing back and not 10?
Truth is simple - Gallas cared about winning much more than anyone else at Arsenal - indeed almost as much as anyone else at Chelsea.  You get emotions with that kind of person.  You also get a better captain than anyone else Arsenal had after Ash left. 

 

37 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

IMO, great player Lord Percy might have been, JT is the greatest CH the PL has ever seen. 

My two bits:  JT was the best ball winner in the PL and the wisest defender in terms of proactive movement.  Gallas was the best speedy cover at the back.  As a pair they were magnificent, but you wouldn't want 2 JTs or 2 Gallas's.  Carvalho could do both roles excellently if not quite to either standard and so could partner either.

Which is best depends on your priorities .  But I can't think of any PL defender that comes close to that three.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47259167

Maybe I'm missing something (saw only highlights) but thought this guy was a Chelsea supporter in the more general sense... Didn't he run from a home supporter stand? 

RE: Gallas... Are those pictures not from after the final whistle in the game Arsenal surrendered their best title charge in about 5 years, same game a team mate suffered a terrible, traumatic injury and not from during the game? That was my recollection but may be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
52 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47259167

Maybe I'm missing something (saw only highlights) but thought this guy was a Chelsea supporter in the more general sense... Didn't he run from a home supporter stand? 

RE: Gallas... Are those pictures not from after the final whistle in the game Arsenal surrendered their best title charge in about 5 years, same game a team mate suffered a terrible, traumatic injury and not from during the game? That was my recollection but may be wrong. 

No , he sat on the halfway line when the kick was taken 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

1.  Absolutely right.  Not that there has ever been any issue with players wanting more money as far as I am concerned.  The red herring is that Gallas said something in a private meeting.  Basically someone at the club decided to get him by leaking a private story to embarrass and cover up the fact that the club had failed to keep him.

2.  Childish in a private meeting - he is a football player not a professional negotiaotor.
But also reasonable.  Private meeting, discussion as to whether Chelsea can "make him play".  Sounds perfectly reasonable to me (unless you think the bastard opposite might leak the comment to the press out of spite).

3.  More nonsense stuff - so what?  When did you last see a team concede a unnecessary goal at a penalty because they only had 9 men rushing back and not 10?
Truth is simple - Gallas cared about winning much more than anyone else at Arsenal - indeed almost as much as anyone else at Chelsea.  You get emotions with that kind of person.  You also get a better captain than anyone else Arsenal had after Ash left. 

Points 1 and 2. That's what an agent is for. 

 

Point 3...  You'd be happy if our players buggered off to the halfway line when we concede a penalty? There is a chance, however small, that the ball might rebound from the GK or post/bar and require an intervention. The more of your players there, the better. Giving up and sitting on the halfway line is pathetic. To suggest otherwise is bizarre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneB   
On 9 February 2019 at 1:09 PM, JaneB said:

Seriously?  Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, how can that possibly be reasonable?  At the very least it's completely unprofessional.  

 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

 

2. The notion that a professional player being paid millions of pounds can threaten to deliberately derail his own team is "reasonable".........my God. Childish at best. Hugely unprofessional at worst. 

 

👍🏻😀🤗 William-Gallas.jpg.763923e80b7447d2f76df5178a314463.jpgWilliam-Gallas-Football365.jpg.cf3a2cca1740ae7582a5676c190f5946.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now