• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

JaneB   
11 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yes I thought it was good too, so why do you regret watching it then? Whatever he’s like in other respects he’s revealing himself as a very good pundit I think, based on the little I’ve seen so far.

"It's complicated" 🤔

4 hours ago, Ham said:

To go back 2 years into a colleague's Facebook and then send an email to her employers headed "Racist" is appalling. 

She is 64. From a generation brought up with this on a jam jar. She's not asking for a return to slavery. It's a symbol of life before virtue- signalling scumbags took control of the internet. If the 2 year old post upsets you, scroll past. 

The article includes an image of a golly. Anyone offended by that?

As you predicted, I disagree with pretty much everything you've said here. Which is not to say I've no compassion for the woman, or think she should be crucified or lose her job. There is, I think, a very delicate balance to be struck between acknowledging that many people's formative years came at points in history where racism was more permissible and explicitly pervasive (and as a tangent, I think my generation and that before and below it shouldn't be too pleased with itself on racism; there's a bloody long way to go) while not also being too accepting and complacent; the 'Golliwog' has always been wrong, even when that wasn't the dominant view.

Assuming makes an ass of you and me of course, but I feel quite confident assuming that many of us here are white. That means, like it or lump it, you simply cannot know what it is like to see relics of more socially-accepted racism on public show, and to be celebrated. It is not, I think, a matter of 'offence'; a dreadful concept too often used to locate responsibility for the hurt or pain people experience in them, and not the parts of the world that perpetrate that hurt. It is a matter of having your personhood attacked. Imagine (and we don't know anything about the whistle-blower, so admittedly this is hypothetical) you've spent your life being called a 'wog', being otherwise abused or discriminated against based on your race. What reason do you have to pause and offer compassion to someone making positive posts about 'Golliwogs' on social media? 

'Virtue-signalling scumbags' is such a massive, massive leap. On the balance of things, I'll pick having people in the world who see something, think that it's wrong and publicly say so over people who don't. We'd all be pretty f**ked if there were no 'virtue-signallers' (which from my perspective emerged as a common term on social media once Twitter's and Instagram's demographics shifted to being more popular among 50+ people) in the world. 

Hope this woman realises the issues with her post, but also hope she isn't 'othered' as some monster. 

And f**k the Mail; lies and exaggerations like theirs have created a climate that would have made this woman's job untenable. If this really was the sole indiscretion, and there wasn't more to it (and we don't know that there wasn't), many work places could have come to a resolution. As it stands, Chelsea FC the PR machine would have struggled with any other outcome. 

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, blue moon said:

Oddly, the article refers to a new FA Team - hadn't heard of that one? 

"Clark was rumbled by a whistleblower who took a screenshot of her post and sent it in an email to Chelsea bosses and the FA's Lick It Out anti-racism team"

It does leave a nasty taste in your mouth . 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

And f**k the Mail; lies and exaggerations like theirs have created a climate that would have made this woman's job untenable. If this really was the sole indiscretion, and there wasn't more to it (and we don't know that there wasn't), many work places could have come to a resolution. As it stands, Chelsea FC the PR machine would have struggled with any other outcome. 

F**k the Mail indeed TVF. We should all open our window and shout this out loud as soon as we get up every morning!

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It does leave a nasty taste in your mouth . 

You never give up do you Mr Kelly?

You're an inspiration!

12 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

You never give up do you Mr Kelly?

You're an inspiration!

I see an open door and run through it !

20 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I see an open door and run through it !

Funny you should say that, I was just watching a few other entities doing exactly the same. 

They're at Crufts!

21 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

As you predicted, I disagree with pretty much everything you've said here. Which is not to say I've no compassion for the woman, or think she should be crucified or lose her job. There is, I think, a very delicate balance to be struck between acknowledging that many people's formative years came at points in history where racism was more permissible and explicitly pervasive (and as a tangent, I think my generation and that before and below it shouldn't be too pleased with itself on racism; there's a bloody long way to go) while not also being too accepting and complacent; the 'Golliwog' has always been wrong, even when that wasn't the dominant view.

Assuming makes an ass of you and me of course, but I feel quite confident assuming that many of us here are white. That means, like it or lump it, you simply cannot know what it is like to see relics of more socially-accepted racism on public show, and to be celebrated. It is not, I think, a matter of 'offence'; a dreadful concept too often used to locate responsibility for the hurt or pain people experience in them, and not the parts of the world that perpetrate that hurt. It is a matter of having your personhood attacked. Imagine (and we don't know anything about the whistle-blower, so admittedly this is hypothetical) you've spent your life being called a 'wog', being otherwise abused or discriminated against based on your race. What reason do you have to pause and offer compassion to someone making positive posts about 'Golliwogs' on social media? 

'Virtue-signalling scumbags' is such a massive, massive leap. On the balance of things, I'll pick having people in the world who see something, think that it's wrong and publicly say so over people who don't. We'd all be pretty f**ked if there were no 'virtue-signallers' (which from my perspective emerged as a common term on social media once Twitter's and Instagram's demographics shifted to being more popular among 50+ people) in the world. 

Hope this woman realises the issues with her post, but also hope she isn't 'othered' as some monster. 

Hear hear!

Ham   

Ok so for Bayern the linesman knows not to put his flag up for offside until the phase of play is over.

VAR only works for some clubs. 

Ham   

City given a penalty for a dive by AK47 (why am I not loved?) Sterling and then given an offside Aguero goal. 

Well they need all the help they can get against the might of Swansea and it all evens itself out.