• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

9 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

“Three Chelsea fans”. 

When I read stuff like this I wonder if the journo (or anyone for that matter) has ever been to a football game. 

If that’s any other teams fans we hear nothing about it and it’s a non-story. 

My previous take on Chelsea fans and bigoted chants (because that is what these are) still stands here.

It does not matter what other team's fans do and how their clubs respond to it. If other sets of fans behave in a bigoted way and their clubs do nothing and by virtue tacitly condone it (which certainly Liverpool FC do, and especially each time they make a trip to Stamford Bridge) that is their business. More specifically, their failure. It might feel frustrating to us, but that furstration should not be a barrier to Chelsea FC and its supporters cleaning its own house. As disappointed as I am that even only "three Chelsea fans" (and that is three too many IMO) were singing this song, I am reassured by and take pride in the club's quick response and the actions of other Chelsea supporters, in Prague, London and across the world in bringing it to the club's attention.

The idea, or to be more fair the idea that I am inferring from your post, that this is a standard and normal part of having 'been to a football game' is in IMO a pretty toxic one, and precisely the problem. Firstly because I do not think it is true; I have been to hundreds of games where thousands of people, even the most wound-up and vitriolic people, did not behave like this. It is a slur on your average match-goer when anyone suggests this is somehow an innate part of football match-going. And secondly because where it does happen, it should not be the case that it is accepted purely because it has historically happened and everyone accepts it to happen.

What will happen in the press is that these d*ckheads (and I'll call them that, because I think the video shows them being d*ckheads) will be absolutely villified, completely mauled. And that will probably be disproportionate. They are still people with all the good and bad that entails, not racist cariactures who cease to exist once we move on to the next story. In that sense I will feel some sympathy for them. But we cannot use that to excuse away singing a song that any common sense analysis that steers away from whataboutery characterises Muslim people as bombers. 

5 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I wasn’t there so no, I’m not trying to say what they actuallly meant. But it seems you’re old enough to remember Gerd Muller aka “the Bomber”. 

You seem smart, so I suspect you know exactly why calling Muller 'the bomber' raises no eyebrows and why calling Mohammed Salah 'a bomber' does.

I know you and I have done this before and it might seem pointless to repeat, but I think it is important it is repeated.

paulw66   
10 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Well I’m not going to start a discussion about this, but how do you think the club finds out that three drunk Chelsea lads in Prague are singing xxxx xx x xxxxxx'’? 

Besides, not counting the ‘discrimatory’ side of it, Salah is a striker scoring goals. 

7 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I wasn’t there so no, I’m not trying to say what they actuallly meant. But it seems you’re old enough to remember Gerd Muller aka “the Bomber”. 

As for Jane, offended as ever. 

Come on........Muller being called a "Bomber" was complimentary. In Italian, for example, the word bomber is used to describe a teams best forward / top scorer. 

You cannot possibly believe that a bunch of Chelsea fans in Prague were signing a song praising Salah's goalscoring exploits?.

We all know what they meant by "bomber".......the fact one of the guys singing it was dumb enough to post the video on his own Twitter account, which has lead to this whole story is delicious irony. An idiot being caught by his own stupidty. Good.

It's so tawdry , embarrassing and stupid . Just stay away and shut up .

The likes of the Daily Mail having a field day in it given their anti Muslim campaign that would have embarrassed Goebbels is just the icing on a particularly **** cake .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

My previous take on Chelsea fans and bigoted chants (because that is what these are) still stands here.

It does not matter what other team's fans do and how their clubs respond to it. If other sets of fans behave in a bigoted way and their clubs do nothing and by virtue tacitly condone it (which certainly Liverpool FC do, and especially each time they make a trip to Stamford Bridge) that is their business. More specifically, their failure. It might feel frustrating to us, but that furstration should not be a barrier to Chelsea FC and its supporters cleaning its own house. As disappointed as I am that even only "three Chelsea fans" (and that is three too many IMO) were singing this song, I am reassured by and take pride in the club's quick response and the actions of other Chelsea supporters, in Prague, London and across the world in bringing it to the club's attention.

The idea, or to be more fair the idea that I am inferring from your post, that this is a standard and normal part of having 'been to a football game' is in IMO a pretty toxic one, and precisely the problem. Firstly because I do not think it is true; I have been to hundreds of games where thousands of people, even the most wound-up and vitriolic people, did not behave like this. It is a slur on your average match-goer when anyone suggests this is somehow an innate part of football match-going. And secondly because where it does happen, it should not be the case that it is accepted purely because it has historically happened and everyone accepts it to happen.

What will happen in the press is that these d*ckheads (and I'll call them that, because I think the video shows them being d*ckheads) will be absolutely villified, completely mauled. And that will probably be disproportionate. They are still people with all the good and bad that entails, not racist cariactures who cease to exist once we move on to the next story. In that sense I will feel some sympathy for them. But we cannot use that to excuse away singing a song that any common sense analysis that steers away from whataboutery characterises Muslim people as bombers. 

You seem smart, so I suspect you know exactly why calling Muller 'the bomber' raises no eyebrows and why calling Mohammed Salah 'a bomber' does.

I know you and I have done this before and it might seem pointless to repeat, but I think it is important it is repeated.

I don’t disagree with you. I’ve been to hundreds of Chelsea games and never sang a song that is rascist. My point is that it’s three drunk lads who have shamed themselves but by blowing this up it taints the club and all the fans in a bad light. 

For the general public won’t see this as the club doing much more to eradicate racism  at football, they see it like Chelsea having more racist fans than other clubs which is utterly and totally incorrect. 

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

I don’t disagree with you. I’ve been to hundreds of Chelsea games and never sang a song that is rascist. My point is that it’s three drunk lads who have shamed themselves but by blowing this up it taints the club and all the fans in a bad light. 

For the general public won’t see this as the club doing much more to eradicate racism  at football, they see it like Chelsea having more racist fans than other clubs which is utterly and totally incorrect. 

TBH I've come round to not really caring all that much what the public thinks. Don't get me wrong, I still have the immediate rankle (in particular when I read Liverpool FC's statement on the matter and their confident assertion that they challenge bigotry and abuse, and then quickly searched their club site for the word 'homophobic'), but ultimately they are gonna do what they do. We should not stand by completely passively while other supporters behave in a bigoted way, but we must also have the conviction to not point to their behaviour as excuse or mitigation when some of our own have tough questions to answer. That is what too many other clubs do; Spurs are the worst in that it's not just their fans that take that stance, but what the club's PR does. 

Our fans shouldn't be singing about Muslim players being bombers. We should be, as a collective, sending the overwhelming message that the single criterion you need to meet to be welcome at Chelsea is to be a blue. Some of us are there, some of us are getting there, some of us are well off pace, and some of us are never going to get there and don't want to. I'd be happy to see the last group (I'm)politely shown the exit.

Edited by thevelourfog

So the media have their traditional Liverpool pre match outrage ammunition, bloody stupid song , Is it racist...not sure racial stereotyping perhaps. I'm not even sure the player himself would even take offence...but then why would he need to when he has thousands of others doing it on his behalf...

JaneB   
17 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

As for Jane, offended as ever. 

Thanks for the support everyone and profound apologies for repeatedly being 'offended' and presumably 'offended' again by not ignoring the comment. 

Edited by JaneB

Zidane   
1 hour ago, fillerywhereru said:

So the media have their traditional Liverpool pre match outrage ammunition, bloody stupid song , Is it racist...not sure racial stereotyping perhaps. I'm not even sure the player himself would even take offence...but then why would he need to when he has thousands of others doing it on his behalf...

Yeah, all Liverpool's fault. 

Guess this was also part of the elaborate scouse conspiracy to bring Chelsea down in the media: 

https://twitter.com/Jayzinq/status/1116630524389253125

Depressing.