• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

I've just read that ex-Liverpool captain Tommy Smith has just sadly passed away (RIP).

Deservedly there'll be a minute of reflection held at Sunday's game now. The eyes of the footballing world will be on us, I truly hope that the dickheads stay away from the game or better still learn some respect - a bit sharpish.

We'll get slaughtered if even a couple of numb nuts misbehave.

2 hours ago, East Lower said:

I've just read that ex-Liverpool captain Tommy Smith has just sadly passed away (RIP).

Deservedly there'll be a minute of reflection held at Sunday's game now. The eyes of the footballing world will be on us, I truly hope that the dickheads stay away from the game or better still learn some respect - a bit sharpish.

I don't think that, in the current climate, Liverpool will be getting all sentimental about Tommy Smith. Not if they have done their homework on him:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/03/howard-gayle-being-liverpool-first-black-player-was-difficult

10 hours ago, Backbiter said:

I don't think that, in the current climate, Liverpool will be getting all sentimental about Tommy Smith. Not if they have done their homework on him:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/03/howard-gayle-being-liverpool-first-black-player-was-difficult

The media and their supporters have a very convenient and myopic view on their own less than glorious 'istory' as regards their own supporters behaviours. For me they will no doubt, 'honour' him.

That extract reads much like Paul Canoville's stories. Unfortunately playing in that era resulted in many tales such as this. Prejudice and ignorance (lack of knowledge and empathy) was rife. 

I played all through the 80's and at one of the clubs, the three or four hundred fans we'd get christened one of the players a name that these days you get arrested for. He appeared to react positively, I spoke to him once and he appeared to be not effected, see below for why I spoke up. 

I'm mixed race (Asian/British), Asian Christian name, British surname. Predominantly white with olive/Mediterranean appearance. When I look back on the stuff I'd get at school 1970 onwards, by today's standards it was vile. Cruel then, looking back now - character building. 

The likes of Tommy Smith and his attitude reflected in that extract were a result of that periods attitudes, the influx of immigrants around that time, events in people's lives and aforementioned ignorance  

16 hours ago, East Lower said:

I'd imagine they'll go for a minute's applause; it's what the PL clubs seem to do to save their visitors embarrassment. 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:36 PM, The_Ghost said:

Well I’m not going to start a discussion about this, but how do you think the club finds out that three drunk Chelsea lads in Prague are singing xxxx xx x xxxxxx'’? 

I think a good point was lost in here - I presume you meant it.

That Chelsea put out the official disclaimers because they get called up by someone in the media who has got his hands on some story and intends to run it, so is obliged to ask Chelsea for a comment.
The implication being they would only bother if the story was about Chelsea.

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I'd imagine they'll go for a minute's applause; it's what the PL clubs seem to do to save their visitors embarrassment. 

I suspect you will be correct. Won't stop the criticism should just a few be seen or heard misbehaving, and there'll be camera's + microphones awaiting.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

That Chelsea put out the official disclaimers because they get called up by someone in the media who has got his hands on some story and intends to run it, so is obliged to ask Chelsea for a comment.

Not defending for one second the racist idiots who are bringing the club into disrepute, but there is clearly a media demand for stories that will damage the club. The footage in Paris was clearly engineered ("I'll just film you while you walk past some half-empty carriages and try and board a packed train full of Chelsea fans and see what happens. I've got good contacts at the Guardian who'll run the footage. There'll be nice cut for you, too"), and Dan Levene is now making a career out of pushing Chelsea-fans-are-all-neo-Nazis stories.

Sea foot   
4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Not with the big anniversary happening the very next day.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Bingo. 

Ham   
8 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Not defending for one second the racist idiots who are bringing the club into disrepute, but there is clearly a media demand for stories that will damage the club. The footage in Paris was clearly engineered ("I'll just film you while you walk past some half-empty carriages and try and board a packed train full of Chelsea fans and see what happens. I've got good contacts at the Guardian who'll run the footage. There'll be nice cut for you, too"), and Dan Levene is now making a career out of pushing Chelsea-fans-are-all-neo-Nazis stories.

1000%