• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Ham   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think they're overdoing it because he called them out for their awful racist behaviour towards him which they then morphed into "why are Chelsea supporters so racist" to get themselves out of jail . Since then he's golden . Personally I think he's been ok for England not terrible not fantastic but when everyone else went missing in the World Cup he was possibly our best player in the later stages .

I've yet to see evidence of the press racism towards him in the past. I recall criticism of him based on his poor England performances a few years ago versus his club form and criticism of the stupid anti- AK47 tattoo but otherwise only the Montenegro fans racially abused him as far as I've seen unless anyone on here has another example. 

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

I've yet to see evidence of the press racism towards him in the past. I recall criticism of him based on his poor England performances a few years ago versus his club form and criticism of the stupid anti- AK47 tattoo but otherwise only the Montenegro fans racially abused him as far as I've seen unless anyone on here has another example. 

From memory what they did and it was the Mail I believe , ran an article about what a big head flash idiot he was , buying a new house . 

It later transpired he was buying it for his Mum . Which they knew but neglected to mention because it didn't serve the narrative that a young Black guy was a tosser .

They then weeks later ran a story about what a stand up guy another City player was buying his Mum and dad a house . This guy wasn't even a first team player but he was white .

Same story two different inflections .

The AK47 was an anti gun thing in remembrance of his Dad who was shot , a bit clunky maybe ....

In my opinion the press have demonized him for being black and in my book that's not on . 

Criticising him for not being very good in England games is fine by me .

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

The criticism in the media started when he was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend (before being 'cleared' when she changed her story - funny that he is not still accused of being a woman beater after the case collapsing due to lack of evidence) cheating on his long term girlfriend, and being filmed taking 'hippy crack'. This idea that he was some innocent being picked on is a fallacy, although the press probably picked on him for every little thing after that.

Ham   
47 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

From memory what they did and it was the Mail I believe , ran an article about what a big head flash idiot he was , buying a new house . 

It later transpired he was buying it for his Mum . Which they knew but neglected to mention because it didn't serve the narrative that a young Black guy was a tosser .

They then weeks later ran a story about what a stand up guy another City player was buying his Mum and dad a house . This guy wasn't even a first team player but he was white .

The AK47 was an anti gun thing in remembrance of his Dad who was shot , a bit clunky maybe ....

In my opinion the press have demonized him for being black and in my book that's not on . 

Ok cheers. So his gripe is with the Daily Mail then? 

Leo91   

Gonna have trouble finding it now but there was a twitter feed that linked to all of the headline articles on Sterling. It was actually sickening.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Ok cheers. So his gripe is with the Daily Mail then? 

Yep . Which is entirely why they deflected the racism in football thing onto us , he's even mentioned them by name in his original complaint!

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

This was the story Sterling highlighted:

The England international screen-grabbed a story that had appeared on MailOnline last January about his club-mate, Tosin Adarabioyo, under the headline: ‘Young Manchester City footballer, 20, on £25,000 a week splashes out on mansion on market for £2.25m despite having never started a Premier League match’. He went on to reference another story from October about City’s teenage midfielder, Phil Foden, buying a house which had carried the headline: ‘Foden buys new £2m home for his mum’

“You have two young players starting out their careers – both play for the same team, both have done the right thing, which is buy a new house for their mothers who have put in a lot of time and love into helping them get where they are,” wrote Sterling. “But look at how the newspapers get their message across for the young black player and then for the young white player. I think this is unacceptable, both innocent, have not done a thing wrong but just by the way it has been worded.

“The young black kid is looked at in a bad light. Which helps fuel racism an[d] aggressive behaviour. So for all the newspapers that don’t understand why people are racist in this day and age all I have to say is have a second thought about fair publicity an[d] give all players an equal chance.”

I hadn't put 2 + 2 together about the press fawning over Sterling this season until now. Him speaking out certainly did change the way they cover him. A bit like the press's kid gloves treatment of all things Liverpool for the last 30 years since the Sun's report on Hillsborough.

18 hours ago, Ham said:

I don't see how you can miss it.

Weirdly, I see strong parallels with how Sterling was treated by the Daily Mail and The Sun, and how Chelsea (as a club, fans and players) have been reported on over the last 15 years. It's a subtle, slow dripping of poison to create a lasting negative impression.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

Weirdly, I see strong parallels with how Sterling was treated by the Daily Mail and The Sun, and how Chelsea (as a club, fans and players) have been reported on over the last 15 years. It's a subtle, slow dripping of poison to create a lasting negative impression.

Exactly as I see it too .

Ham   
2 hours ago, Box of Tricks said:

I hear what Mark says about Foden and agree that looks off but I'm simply not in agreement that he personally has been the victim of a campaign.  

It's right to call out racism where you see it but is he highlighting a campaign of racism against him specifically or more generally against black players?