• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Media / Press

Recommended Posts

On 01/07/2019 at 4:28 PM, paulw66 said:

According to who? 

How do Man United get any value from an Instagram post of Pogba dicking about at home?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/later.com/blog/instagram-influencers-costs/amp/

The problem with football today is the individual aspect. A lot of people now follow players rather than clubs. You can read about it here: 

https://medium.com/socios/how-fan-engagement-is-changing-the-game-of-football-5124da00d6d6

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/later.com/blog/instagram-influencers-costs/amp/

The problem with football today is the individual aspect. A lot of people now follow players rather than clubs. You can read about it here: 

https://medium.com/socios/how-fan-engagement-is-changing-the-game-of-football-5124da00d6d6

 

I think you are conflating instagram influencers of the kind that give cosmetic advice and promote brands to young women (and other cosmetic wearers) who get significant fees pers follower with footballers who are really just selling news and gossip about themselves.  Pogba has some marketing value, as does Pulisic, as does Hazard.  But mostly he is valued on his footballing contribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you are conflating instagram influencers of the kind that give cosmetic advice and promote brands to young women (and other cosmetic wearers) who get significant fees pers follower with footballers who are really just selling news and gossip about themselves.  Pogba has some marketing value, as does Pulisic, as does Hazard.  But mostly he is valued on his footballing contribution.

Hazard is different as he lives a quite life and is out of the spotlight, whilst he is also a bona fide elite player. Additionally, he is also on £400k which is now A grade money rather than A* grade money.

Pulisic and Pogba however are different, they are both players that are not elite level players but have large media followings and in the case of Pogba has high interaction with his followers, which is actually the most important thing once someone gets above 1m followers. Pogba has approx. 35m fyi. 

To help, read any in-depth article on Woodward and his handling of big transfers at Utd. In them he always talks about interaction on social media: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.co.uk/amp/sport/man-united-paul-pogba-193893

 

https://www.90min.com/posts/5972243-ed-woodward-reveals-alexis-sanchez-has-smashed-man-utd-s-january-shirt-sales-social-media-records

After this, then read about Utd and their approach to fan interaction via social media and how they see this as a key revenue stream and one that they see as a growing market - I cannot be bothered to find these but they do exist.

However, even without all of that reading, lets be real. As a footballer, Pogba is not worth £500k a week as he is a very inconsistent player and he is also, from all accounts, a bit of a nightmare to manage. However, he is very famous for a footballer with a large following on social media with high interaction. This is what makes him so valuable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

However, he is very famous for a footballer with a large following on social media with high interaction. This is what makes him so valuable. 

Tbh, I find that very sad. I accept what you're saying, but to me it's little more than depressing - I wonder what Ossie would have made of it all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

Hazard is different as he lives a quite life and is out of the spotlight, whilst he is also a bona fide elite player. Additionally, he is also on £400k which is now A grade money rather than A* grade money.

Pulisic and Pogba however are different, they are both players that are not elite level players but have large media followings and in the case of Pogba has high interaction with his followers, which is actually the most important thing once someone gets above 1m followers. Pogba has approx. 35m fyi. 

To help, read any in-depth article on Woodward and his handling of big transfers at Utd. In them he always talks about interaction on social media: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.co.uk/amp/sport/man-united-paul-pogba-193893

 

https://www.90min.com/posts/5972243-ed-woodward-reveals-alexis-sanchez-has-smashed-man-utd-s-january-shirt-sales-social-media-records

After this, then read about Utd and their approach to fan interaction via social media and how they see this as a key revenue stream and one that they see as a growing market - I cannot be bothered to find these but they do exist.

However, even without all of that reading, lets be real. As a footballer, Pogba is not worth £500k a week as he is a very inconsistent player and he is also, from all accounts, a bit of a nightmare to manage. However, he is very famous for a footballer with a large following on social media with high interaction. This is what makes him so valuable. 

I think you ducked my point about just how valuable his influence is per follower compared to the ones you were getting your fees from.  Converting one FB or Instagram follower into money is pretty difficult if you are a footballer.  Or even a club owning a footballer.  Much easier for a music star that sells records or gets micro payments from say Spotify.  Much easier if you actually get paid by companies to promote their product.  How many of Pogba's 35m around the world have bought a match day ticket to see him or bought a months subscription of MUTV?

As for his contract - seriously that is how good people thought he was  when Man U bought him for £89m to Juve plus the extra EUR 26mn to Raiola in 2016.  A player that valuable might get a contract of around £500k a week.  Sanchez FFS is supposed to be on £350k (400k +75k if he plays according to some reports).

However as far as I can tell, Pogba is not yet on £500k a week, probably quite a bit less.  The only place where £500k comes in is that that is the rumoured amount that he wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Tbh, I find that very sad. I accept what you're saying, but to me it's little more than depressing - I wonder what Ossie would have made of it all?

Pots of money I expect , seeing as he actually had a personality !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/later.com/blog/instagram-influencers-costs/amp/

The problem with football today is the individual aspect. A lot of people now follow players rather than clubs. You can read about it here: 

https://medium.com/socios/how-fan-engagement-is-changing-the-game-of-football-5124da00d6d6

 

I've noticed the same with my Grandson.

He plays football and loves it , he also plays the computer game FIFA which has within it a sub game where you can collect cards like the old Panini stickers of yesteryear and assemble a team and use them in the game .

I have tried to get him to be a Chelsea supporter through the usual shirt buying etc but he asks me for football shirts for Xmas and birthdays and they are always focused on the player not the club , He's got Hazard ( naturally ) and Morata ( whoops!)  that I forced upon him but he also has , Neymar @ PSG , Pogba @ Man U , Ronaldo @ Juve , and he want's an Mbappe one next.

I think his mates are all the same from what he says . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
9 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

Hazard is different as he lives a quite life and is out of the spotlight, whilst he is also a bona fide elite player. Additionally, he is also on £400k which is now A grade money rather than A* grade money.

Pulisic and Pogba however are different, they are both players that are not elite level players but have large media followings and in the case of Pogba has high interaction with his followers, which is actually the most important thing once someone gets above 1m followers. Pogba has approx. 35m fyi. 

To help, read any in-depth article on Woodward and his handling of big transfers at Utd. In them he always talks about interaction on social media: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.co.uk/amp/sport/man-united-paul-pogba-193893

 

https://www.90min.com/posts/5972243-ed-woodward-reveals-alexis-sanchez-has-smashed-man-utd-s-january-shirt-sales-social-media-records

After this, then read about Utd and their approach to fan interaction via social media and how they see this as a key revenue stream and one that they see as a growing market - I cannot be bothered to find these but they do exist.

However, even without all of that reading, lets be real. As a footballer, Pogba is not worth £500k a week as he is a very inconsistent player and he is also, from all accounts, a bit of a nightmare to manage. However, he is very famous for a footballer with a large following on social media with high interaction. This is what makes him so valuable. 

Neither article explains how a retweet or a like from a Pogba tweet/photo generates cash for Man Utd, and certainly not to the levels that warrant such absurd wages.

Shirt sales increase - ok, but the winner there is the kit manufacturer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've noticed the same with my Grandson.

He plays football and loves it , he also plays the computer game FIFA which has within it a sub game where you can collect cards like the old Panini stickers of yesteryear and assemble a team and use them in the game .

I have tried to get him to be a Chelsea supporter through the usual shirt buying etc but he asks me for football shirts for Xmas and birthdays and they are always focused on the player not the club , He's got Hazard ( naturally ) and Morata ( whoops!)  that I forced upon him but he also has , Neymar @ PSG , Pogba @ Man U , Ronaldo @ Juve , and he want's an Mbappe one next.

I think his mates are all the same from what he says . 

Mark - how do you allow this!? 

I would be making threats with the words "no inheritence" in them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Mark - how do you allow this!? 

I would be making threats with the words "no inheritence" in them! 

It's horrendous isn't it ?

 I think I need to get him down the Bridge for a dose of the blues in action !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now