Sir

Lets Have A Moan Up

250 posts in this topic

But Jon,The Point is,Dundee weren't like Wigan at the time,They had a good side.Gordon Smith was just so biased that day it was unreal.

Well if they were a good side for the SPL, they probably would've been the equivalent of Ipswich Town.

But aside from that, Rangers and Celtic just control that joke of a league. So it's hard to see how a team like Dundee could get anything away from home at either of those two.

Anyway, why do you hate Rangers so much? I've seen other posts on here where you've just slagged them off.

The thing that gets me is NOT that these commentators and pundits began as players for a particular club or have always been fans of a particular club, it is that they are so open about those feelings on the air when the nature of their positions suggests, at least, that they should be more impartial in their comments and not engage in the kind of slagfests that fans are perfectly free to launch against one another.

I always find it jarring because its the very rare National American announcer or pundit (local announcers within a team's market are another story) who openly pulls for his former club or deliberately chooses to make excruciatingly sarcastic remarks about a rival club ("that's about as likely as a beautiful Chelsea passing play"; "another long ball from Terry up to Drogba and another Arsenal passing opportunity spurned"). I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it is much more rare. It would turn off American audiences.

But British media is very sophisticated and I'm sure their executives know just what they are doing. They know such behavior is what British watchers and listeners expect. Nobody stops watching matches or calling into Soccer AM because of this, do they? In fact, they probably watch and call in more because they either support what these guys are saying or are desperate to have a go at them.

It does create wonderful moments of mirth and schaddenfreude...like Phil Thompson's "Penguin" moment...

The BBC and ITV Coverage of football is Awful. I can't stand Lineker,Shearer,Hansen and Lawrenson on MOTD. Both Stations World Cup Punditry was awful as well. Edgar Davids,Patrick Viera and Marcel Desially's 'Punditry' on ITV Was awful and it was presented by Adrian Chiles,Who's a complete knob.Was Bloody Awful on the One Show on BBC.BBC's punditry was the same as MOTD so it was clearly rubbish.

I agree with you with ITV but how can you dislike Hansen, Shearer, Lineker and Lawrenson?!?

I think people tend to say Sky sports are the best just because they have the best games on.

I agree with you with ITV but how can you dislike Hansen, Shearer, Lineker and Lawrenson?!?

I think people tend to say Sky sports are the best just because they have the best games on.

Hansen is the best pundit on TV. End of. Lineker is OK, but comes across as smarmy at times. Alan Shearer is a bit on the dour side, but talks total sense and I respect his views. Lawrenson is rubbish, he sounds like a camp accountant and his jokes are neither clever nor funny. On Sky, Martin Tyler and Andy Gray are good. Richard Keys should give up presenting, he is just amatuerish and downright useless. Ian Darke and Rob Hawthorne are decent as well, but the less said about Alan Parry the better. As for ITV, they are just crap with a capital C. Clive Tyldesley and Peter Drury are the worst commentators on the box, the late, great Brian Moore would be turning over in his grave if he heard them. ESPN are poor as well, I can't understand a single word Chris Waddle says, and Craig Burley is a total, complete and utter twit with the letter 'a' instead of an 'I'. Jon Champion sounds rather like a bossy schoolteacher, and why do they use Alan Curbishley as a pundit? He's never said anything interesting in his life.

Hansen is the best pundit on TV. End of. Lineker is OK, but comes across as smarmy at times. Alan Shearer is a bit on the dour side, but talks total sense and I respect his views. Lawrenson is rubbish, he sounds like a camp accountant and his jokes are neither clever nor funny. On Sky, Martin Tyler and Andy Gray are good. Richard Keys should give up presenting, he is just amatuerish and downright useless. Ian Darke and Rob Hawthorne are decent as well, but the less said about Alan Parry the better. As for ITV, they are just crap with a capital C. Clive Tyldesley and Peter Drury are the worst commentators on the box, the late, great Brian Moore would be turning over in his grave if he heard them. ESPN are poor as well, I can't understand a single word Chris Waddle says, and Craig Burley is a total, complete and utter twit with the letter 'a' instead of an 'I'. Jon Champion sounds rather like a bossy schoolteacher, and why do they use Alan Curbishley as a pundit? He's never said anything interesting in his life.

I hope you didn't see the Champions League Qualifiers highlights on Sky. Presented by Ben Shepherd (who should be on ITV presenting some talent show), and with guests Alan Curbishley and some Scottish bloke who I've never heard of, doesn't have a clue about football and was obviously only there to provide some variation in accent.

I hope you didn't see the Champions League Qualifiers highlights on Sky. Presented by Ben Shepherd (who should be on ITV presenting some talent show), and with guests Alan Curbishley and some Scottish bloke who I've never heard of, doesn't have a clue about football and was obviously only there to provide some variation in accent.

I agree with Alan Curbishley,He's a rubbish pundit.But the 'Some Scottish Bloke' Your talking about is either Alan McInally or John Collins,Both are very good pundits IMHO.Both Have experience of big matches.

Well if they were a good side for the SPL, they probably would've been the equivalent of Ipswich Town.

But aside from that, Rangers and Celtic just control that joke of a league. So it's hard to see how a team like Dundee could get anything away from home at either of those two.

The Game I was talking about was at Dens Park (Home Of Dundee). And How Could they be the 'Equivalent of Ipswich Town'.They were a good side at the time. And Anyway my point wasn't Dundee being good or bad.It was the fact that Gordon Smith was so unbelievably Biased towards Rangers that day.

EDIT: Can I just add someone who's not had muck talk in this thread: Alan Smith. Fantastic Pundit on Sky Sports. Knows his stuff again,has experience.

Edited by Osgood 9

EDIT: Can I just add someone who's not had muck talk in this thread: Alan Smith. Fantastic Pundit on Sky Sports. Knows his stuff again,has experience.

He's pony

The pundits on MOTD2 are Martin Keown and Phil Brown. Last night Alan Shearer was on. Who on earth thinks these people are intelligent enough to provide any decent insight into the game?

Personally I would like to see more broadsheet journalists and less thick ex-footballers as pundits in the future.

Edited by Super Frank Lampard