• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mongrel

The Fulham Ciu ?

Mongrel   

Walked down Britannia Road yesterday to my usual pre match drinking venue and there is nothing but a gap where it used to be!!

Couldn't believe it. Anybody know whats happened there then?

They sold up to redevelopers, simple as that. It was supposed to go a while ago actually, my match day membership the season before last was half price as it was scheduled to get knocked down half way through that season, but the credit crunch put paid to that. I guess the bulldozers finally moved in over the summer.

While the place was rammed on match days it was dead during the week. An old fashioned working men's club was always going to struggle in modern day Fulham. Its a real shame as it was the one place to drink around the ground that hadn't been refurbished and lost all its character. It still looked the same as it did when I started going to the Bridge in the eighties, and most pints were still under three quid!

I wonder where all the people who got there four hours before to kick off and put coats down on all the seats will go now?

It's been knocked down to build flats. The original plans included rebuilding the club at half the size of the previous ground floor, but that was as of a couple of years ago so not sure if they stuck with the idea.

Most of the people I knew in there were planning to go upstairs at the So bar although I'm not keen on the place personally as it's a fair bit more expensive and they don't sell Strongbow.

Mongrel   

They sold up to redevelopers, simple as that. It was supposed to go a while ago actually, my match day membership the season before last was half price as it was scheduled to get knocked down half way through that season, but the credit crunch put paid to that. I guess the bulldozers finally moved in over the summer.

While the place was rammed on match days it was dead during the week. An old fashioned working men's club was always going to struggle in modern day Fulham. Its a real shame as it was the one place to drink around the ground that hadn't been refurbished and lost all its character. It still looked the same as it did when I started going to the Bridge in the eighties, and most pints were still under three quid!

I wonder where all the people who got there four hours before to kick off and put coats down on all the seats will go now?

I hadn't bothered with a matchday membership before which is why that must have gone over my head. Funnily enough I intended to get one for the first time this season. I was literally rubbing my eyes as I thought I was imagining it! I knew it was dead during the week because I'd been in midweek before but I thought they made enough on matchday to justify it. Not compared to the land value I suppose.

I went to the Goose on North end road myself. Spotted a couple of the regulars from the ciu in there. Not my favourite place to go but I usually have a couple of kids in tow so not spoilt for choice.

We've just finished the initial work on the new club, now the bar fit out people are moving in to finish it off.

I never saw the original club as I came in about 3 months back to do the electrics, but I'm led to believe it's a lot smaller now.

Wasn't capacity about 300 in the old one?

Anyway, it should be ready soon.

Also, there's flats being built across the front so there will be just a door for entry and the club won't be seen at all.

Hope this helps, but you probably know this now seeing as it's such an old post.

I'm going to try and get in for a night for a beer if I can swing it to see the finished product.

Cheers

Colin