• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Non Chelsea: International Football

Redknapp's useless in the big games, he just attacks and hopes for the best. Hodgson's a much better manager, the FA have made the right choice for once.

Real Madrid 4-0 Tottenham

Chelsea 5-1 Tottenham

Tottenham 1-5 Manchester City

Totteham 1-3 Manchester United

Manchester United 3-0 Tottenham

Arsenal 5-2 Tottenham

Young Boys 3-2 Tottenham (Spurs 3-0 down at Half time)

Inter 4-3 Tottenham (Spurs 4-0 down at Half Time)

All games in which Redknapp's got his tactics totally wrong. We don't want Redknapp as England manager, he'd turn us into an even bigger laughing stock.

Pretty funny when all the current internationals came out on Twitter stating how much they wanted Harry to become manager.....

That was a bad signal in itself.

Did "all the current internationals" include any Chelsea ones? I shouldn't think so - ours are pretty much controlled by the club - as all professional players should be.

My guess is that more than a few were making an early bid for JT's job.

Sir   

That was a bad signal in itself.

Did "all the current internationals" include any Chelsea ones? I shouldn't think so - ours are pretty much controlled by the club - as all professional players should be.

My guess is that more than a few were making an early bid for JT's job.

Nope it didn't.

As a "neutral" observer who follows England closely because his favorite (and least favorite) club players are often in the mix, isn't ANY manager doomed to "failure" -- meaning out in the quarterfinals in any major competition -- with the current crop of "senior" Premiership players still (apparently)) dominating things?

The "golden generation" has been a total disaster on and off the pitch and I don't think they are "coachable" by any part-time manager regardless of pedigree. Rooney is little more than a petulant thug at this point, much more talented but only slightly more in control of his emotions than Joey Barton and Stephen Cnut. Gerrard, JT, Rio, Ash, Lamps are all multi-millionaires who have been told for nearly a decade now that they are best the players in the world. They will no doubt think -- as Liverpool fans thought and I'm sure many England fans will think -- that Hodgson is a nice old man but never managed successfully at the clubs and level at which they played successfully. They will probably not listen to anything that doesn't sound right to them.

Surely England must do some version of what Germany did. Scratch the elders almost completely and try to build anew from youth. The goldens have had their chance and no gold resulted. The next generation can't do much worse. And whats the difference really between exiting in the group stage and exiting in the quarters? Anything short of a final is -- and rightfully so -- underperformance for England.

CFC-Joe   

The media will chew him up and spit him out. I hope I'm wrong, but it's more than likely.

pinoy   

Seriously just how good is the German squad! I think they got Eruo 2012 in the bag!

Germany

Goalkeepers: Neuer, Wiese, Zieler, ter Stegen

Defenders: Badstuber, Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker, Höwedes, Lahm, Schmelzer

Midfielders: Schweinsteiger, Khedira, S. Bender, L. Bender, Gündogan, Kroos, Draxler, Reus, Götze, Müller, Özil, Schürrle, Podolski

Strikers: Gomez, Klose, Cacau

..............................................Neuer............................................

...Lahm.................Badstuber...............Hummels..........Schmelzer..

.......................Schweinsteiger...............Khedira............................

............Ozil...............................Kroos.......................Gotze............

...............................................Gomez............................................

I think this team can certainly destroy any team in the competition! I think Spain's lack of a plan B will cost them dearly also.

Sciatika   

To me, England's problems can, to some extent, be placed at the door of journos. In that sense, choosing Hodgson over Redknapp was a great decision from the FA. Now what they need to do is to stick by him rain or shine. Hodgson is starting with a hill to climb because any hint of failure and the journos will be on him like ravenous wolves. I would operate a strict policy of banning journos who cannot behave in a sensible manner.

If I were Roy, I'd begin by making the announcement that if you are not performing in the league you will be dropped and jettison Ferdinand and Gerrard. I would also drop Barry, who was never good enough and, possibly, Defoe because he does not get enough games. By breaking up the "golden generation", it will give him a clean slate to work with. I'd look to be playing 4-2-3-1 using a mix of experienced players and players from the U-21s/U-23s. I'd start with an experienced backline line of Hart, Richards, Cahill, Terry and Cole. Most of those play together at a single club and so require less practice given the short time available for the Euros. I'd put two from Parker, Wilshere and Jones in front of the back four with Lampard as an experienced backup. I'd probably start with Parker and Lamps. Controversial, I know, but I'd consider recalling Joe Cole for the nr 10 slot as about our only natural in that position, I'd have two from Sturridge, Walcott and Lennon on the flanks and stick Rooney up front. I wouldn't let Carroll, Holt or Crouch within 500 miles of the squad.

0liver   

Germany's problem is that all of their most talented players like to play through the middle. On paper they are the strongest but I think they aren't really balanced. Gomez isn't effective without wide players who stretch the defence. And even if they get it out wide there isn't anyone apart from Gomez who is good in the penalty box.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a different Germany line up than the one you mentioned, simply to give them more balance. Kroos, Götze, Özil are all too similar. Löw has tried 4-1-4-1 formation recently(without much success it has to be said) and maybe he uses that again.

Podolski is IMO a guaranteed starter on that lefthand side.

Agree with the above that Podolski is a guarenteed starter. Gomez needs width ala Ribey/Robben. Squad does look very strong but I have a gut feeling about France. Anyway heres what I think Roy should take. Am absolutely gutted Wilshere wont go as he is a class player.

GK- Hart, Green, Ruddy.

DF- Richards, Walker, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Cahill, Jones/Smalling (for versatility), JT/Rio (JT is the better choice but for obv reasons may not go)

MF- Parker, Scholes (if he will. if not Carrick), Milner, Lampard, Gerrard, A.Johnson, Young, Oxlade, Walcott

ST- Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Carrol/Crouch. As much as I'm not a great fan of Carrol we are without Rooney for two games I think we need a target man and I would rather give youth a chance.

Hart

Richards JT Cahill Cole

Parker Lamps (currently rolling back the years in this position)

Walcott Gerrard Young

Rooney (Welbeck for first two)