• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Non Chelsea: International Football

I'm not sure if this post is serious, Droy?

Quite serious, if a little off the wall.

Look at kids nowadays. When I was 15 and at school I played at least an hour of football a day in the playground on on the field at school - and I was totally useless and in a Rugby playing grammar school.

Go to a struggling S London Sports college/school and you'll find all the kids, even the ones on free school meals, wandering around the playground staring at their phone, and gaming to 2.00am at night.

You'd expect naturalised English kids to be couch potatoes nowadays, and only poorer and hungrier (in both senses) immigrants to be the future football stars. And if you look at England, France, Germany from a historical perspective, you can see the waves of immigrants that have made all the difference.

Edit - strike out "off the wall". This isn't even a thesis really - it is a plain and simple description of modern youth football in England.

Edited by Droy was my hero

England alone in 56m, some of which are not qualified to play for England (or would chose to play for someone else).

A lot of out better players have been from immigrant families, much like Ibrahimovic. The big gain we had were from West Indian families back in the 60s/70s, before they integrated and became couch potatoes like the native stock. Rooney is essentially 2nd generation Irish immigrant I believe.

A while ago, when the French were a lot better than us I pointed out teh difference between their 2nd generation immigrants (Malouda. Anelka, Desailly, Zidane and many more) and our 3rd or 4th generation immigrants. Since then, France have faded - I'd argue precisely because their immigrants have got lazy. Right now Germany is doing best with hungry immigrants from Eastern Europe.

So annoying. I wrote a long response to this as u think it's an interesting viewpoint but unfortunately there was some sort of error and my post is gone.

I agree with you. If you look at Sweden we've never had any predominant immigrants/second generations in our NT. Zlatan is the only one and both Henrik Larsson and Martin Dahlin were special cases (foreign dad, Swedish mother and grown up in Sweden in a Swedish home).

What's strange is that if you look at Swedish National youth teams they have a lot of immigrants/second generations represented but they rarely make it all the way to the first team.

Perhaps our social security system is too good. Perhaps the Swedish NT is so much built on Swedish values that immigrants/second generations have a problem to fit in?

The truth lies somewhere between there I'm sure.

watched the Sweden vs Portugal game today and while he may not be my favourite Ronaldo, and the fact that some of Sweden's defending was suicidal the man can finish.

Holymoly   

Quite serious, if a little off the wall.

Look at kids nowadays. When I was 15 and at school I played at least an hour of football a day in the playground on on the field at school - and I was totally useless and in a Rugby playing grammar school.

Go to a struggling S London Sports college/school and you'll find all the kids, even the ones on free school meals, wandering around the playground staring at their phone, and gaming to 2.00am at night.

You'd expect naturalised English kids to be couch potatoes nowadays, and only poorer and hungrier (in both senses) immigrants to be the future football stars. And if you look at England, France, Germany from a historical perspective, you can see the waves of immigrants that have made all the difference.

Edit - strike out "off the wall". This isn't even a thesis really - it is a plain and simple description of modern youth football in England.

I agree. The players and the quality of their football is sinking lower and lower. For all the population we have the number of players in premiership teams is laughable. The money they expect to be paid to put on such risable performances as the last two friendlies makes me want to go out and hit something.

It comes down to the rise of the nanny state where no-one is allowed to fall over in case they hurt themselves and therefore never learn the "why" of anything. Kids aren't "allowed" to play football with their mates until it gets dark anymore in case the bad man comes and offers them sweeties or the gangs come and beat them up. Unless you think you're good enough to join a club you never get a chance to play organised sport anymore. I enjoyed cricket but never considered myself good enough for club cricket until someone watched me playing for my work side and asked why I didn't play for a club? When I finally got up the courage I realised that not only was I good enough to join I was good enough to be their opening batsman and second change bowler. That was me as an adult, think how kids feel about it? So many must fall between the very wide cracks these days.

I have this theory that health and safety legislation is to blame for everything. Because of it very few stupid people are able to kill themselves inadvertantly these days. Consequently they end up having kids who are probably equally stupid or worse. Eventually society creates a critical mass of stupidity that is impossible to break free of as the stupid people have worked their way into the administrative roles (I.e. jobs which create nothing except hindrances to everyone else) looking after each other, making the world ever more "safe". No-one is allowed to "fail" at anything anymore and therefore the urge to succeed is drained out of the remaining aspirants little by little.

My generation has a lot to answer for with the state of society in this country. Short of a mass extinction event or a world war I fail to see how things will ever improve. And we've just done it all in a generation. Gratz to us.

Holymoly   

It's no wonder England fail when they are skippered by Steven 'Media Man' Gerrard. :/

...who only turns up to the big matches. Strange how the inexplicable niggles only occur during the lower profile games.

Also good to hear Sturridge (the second coming) coming in for some clog. He doesn't have the intelligence or discipline to hold his shape when things get sticky and ends up coming back into midfield hunting for the ball thereby depriving the team of the target. So much for Liverpool's "steal" from us.

Edited by Holymoly

paulw66   

...who only turns up to the big matches. Strange how the inexplicable niggles only occur during the lower profile games.

Also good to hear Sturridge (the second coming) coming in for some clog. He doesn't have the intelligence or discipline to hold his shape when things get sticky and ends up coming back into midfield hunting for the ball thereby depriving the team of the target. So much for Liverpool's "steal" from us.

21 goals in 28 Liverpool games and one poor performance for England = we were right to sell him?

I agree. The players and the quality of their football is sinking lower and lower. For all the population we have the number of players in premiership teams is laughable. The money they expect to be paid to put on such risable performances as the last two friendlies makes me want to go out and hit something.

I've long not cared about England - too many games against the likes of Andorra and Montenegro for me to care even about a real game like England vs Germany at Wembley.

But I don't think it is health and safety - rather it is the couch potato syndrome with all kids having I phones and the like.

paulw66   

But I don't think it is health and safety - rather it is the couch potato syndrome with all kids having I phones and the like.

Is that the same in the other developed nations though?

Is that the same in the other developed nations though?

Yes - where did the great French sides of 10 or 15 years ago get their players? Where do the Belgians get half of theirs now? Where are the Germans coming from (E Europe and Turkey).