• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Redmond

Josh Mc Eachran

Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion. I know he's very young still (born 1 March 1993). But each time he comes on, it seems to me that he starts to take control of the midfield in a natrural way. It also seems to me that he makes the right decision time and again with his distribution - he keeps it simple most of the time but thinks of throwing in the odd killer ball every now and again that can split defences. For someone of his age, this is very encouraging. Most of the youngsters we've tried in the first team in the last five years have struggled to make an impact, but I don't think he struggles at all. I think he fits right in.

His first mistake so far was getting robbed by Reo Coker yesterday. But that's ok. He'll learn from that one. I really like the look of him plus he's been with the club for nearly ten years, as I was corrected recently - thank you Michael :) Could he be our first real home grown breakthrough since JT? I think he could. It also bodes well for the future of the English midfield that in six years time, you could have Wilshere and McEachran operating.

I don't see him as Frank's long term replacement, but that doesn't mean I don't think he has the potential to hit the heights that Lamps has reached. Lampard has an incredible work rate, and possesses a ridiculous amount of stamina. I don't see McEachran playing the same role as Lampard, and will probably be a player who requires a ball winning midfielder or two to really get the best out of him... Which is perhaps why he has looked so assured with two of Essien, Mikel or Ramires alongside him in every appearance so far. Lampard, contrary to popular beliefs, can play as part of a two man midfield, even if it does sacrifice his attacking qualities... And he has shown on several occasions that he is very good at protecting the defense alongside one other.

I see McEachran taking over Joe Cole's role... But here's hoping he does actually fulfil the potential, and hit the heights that Joe Cole was expected to reach when he was playing for West Ham at the same age.

For me, thinking about replacing specific roles in the team isn't the right way to look at things. Can Josh take a position in the side that was numerically filled by Lampard? Yes. Can or will he do the same job as Frank? At this point, it seems unlikely. It's been discussed on these boards before, but for me his style is more similar to someone like Iniesta. He's of course nowhere near as good as Iniesta (yet, anyway!) but that's not what I mean.

Change can be a good thing. The youth and reserve teams are usually made to play the same style of football as the first team, but if we find ourselves with a crop of players who are good enough to play for Chelsea but suited to another style, we should amend how we play, imo.

I think he could be honestly. If Frankie just mentors him for a while he could really wind up being the new SFL or SJM. However, I think it's way too early to discuss this, I hope people don't overrate him already...

ish   

Mceachran will take over lampards role but in a different chelsea setup. Simply put mceachran isn't the finisher that Lampard is. He is more iniesta than lamps, or silva of man city. Very mobile midfielder who can pass and is assured on the ball. Very very exciting player though, his first touch is supreme for one so young and his maturity on the pitch is amazing. Technique wise reminds me alot more of french and spanish players then any English player.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion.

He is 15 years younger than Lampard. I know that Mikel is 14 years younger than Maka, but he had very much a complete game and the full physique. I don't see JMcE stepping directly into Lampard boots.

He has had good cameos, but I doubt he has the all around game to play 90 minutes for a year or two. He is good at the end of games, where oppo midfields are dropping right back into their own area (yesterday, Newcastle). He has impressed in the first team, unlike Kakuta who hasn't (yet).

Very promising for the future, not for the present.

One piece of advice for him - your are scrawny so don't change your shirt while the cameras are on you - not until you either fill out a lot or buy one of those Michael Ballack rubber muscle undershirts.

Doubt he'll take over Lamps' role because I don't think there's another midfielder in the world with SFL's instincts to get into the box with such great timing, but Josh could become something totally different IMO. As pointed out above, his ability on the ball perhaps makes him more similar to someone like Iniesta and that's how I'd like to see him develop. Sure, he'll probably bag a few goals as well though. There was this one move yesterday where he dummied the ball on the edge of the box and I think it rolled to Malouda and it left the Villa defence in complete disarray. His awareness, composure, technical ability, decision making is impressive for someone so young. Not to mention that he didn't even challenge Lee Mason's ridiculous decision to award him a yellow card(one of Mason's many stupid decisions I might add) - some would view that as maturity but it could also mean that he's still well aware that he's only a youngster and he shouldn't be cursing people out(eg. Wilshere).

Lil Josh's game is closer to xavi (of course not comparing him to the barca legend) than Lampard which means he'll score a lot less than lamps but has the potential of being more creative in open play than lamps. Appologies to England fans but Josh's touch on the ball is unEngland like: very skilled, assured and unrushed in his play. His skill coupled with his mobility provides chelsea's midfield a different dimension. I like the way Carletto is gradually introducing the boy into the team. May his progress continue.