• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karan

Live Match Thread: Tottenham Vs Chelsea

Karan   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to the Premier League match against Tottenham Hotspur, before and during the game.

Moderators and our legal people will be keeping an eye on things. Keep it intelligent.

Please note that this unmoderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is at 1600hrs, Sunday, 12th December 2010, at White Hart Lane.

Important Stream Info

Don't forget to join ClubCFCnet it's only £1 per month http://www.clubcfcnet.com

CFCnet on Facebook

CFCnet on Twitter

Karan   

Ah yes, the first of a crucial sequence of 4 games before the year end. Quite frankly no one knows what to expect, or they know but its a fearful prospect.

Lots of issues to deal with. Lets look at them.

Ferreira at RB? Oh dear, he got skinned by Bale last season. Yes, but no one seems to remember that the fellow had a high fever before the game and barely trained. Plus Ivanovic, who came on as a sub, had only returned from a knee injury. So who else then at RB? Essien? Who do we have in midfield to strengthen it. We need him there. Bruma? Not a bad shout, but he's equally culpable of getting skinned by Bale. Simple issue is whoever is the RB, needs protection. Double up on either flank and we can easily stop their progress.

Too much is placed on Lampard's return. At the most I see him on the bench, and making a late 2nd half sub appearance.

So here's my take on the lineup. Its worth the experiment but I'm not sure it'll happen:

Cech

Ferreira - Ivanovic - Terry - A.Cole

Essien - Mikel

Ramires - Anelka - Malouda

Drogba

Subs: Turnbull, Bruma, Kalou, Sturridge, McEachran, Lampard/Kakuta, VanAanholt/Zhirkov

Wait? Whats that? Ramires on the right side of midfield*. Yes. And thats precisely where he should be playing ATM. He's got enough pace, energy to press the oppo LB, and also protect the RB, by being able to double up on Bale. He's played a similar role for Brazil and he's more than capable of doing so for Chelsea. Plus it also keeps him away from the central defensive positions where he's culpable.

*Something I suggested here in response to Blue Fever.

Alternatively the midfield lineup above could easily be morphed into:

Essien - Mikel - Malouda

Ramires - Drogba - Anelka

paulw66   

Ah yes, the first of a crucial sequence of 4 games before the year end. Quite frankly no one knows what to expect, or they know but its a fearful prospect.

Lots of issues to deal with. Lets look at them.

Ferreira at RB? Oh dear, he got skinned by Bale last season. Yes, but no one seems to remember that the fellow had a high fever before the game and barely trained. Plus Ivanovic, who came on as a sub, had only returned from a knee injury. So who else then at RB? Essien? Who do we have in midfield to strengthen it. We need him there. Bruma? Not a bad shout, but he's equally culpable of getting skinned by Bale. Simple issue is whoever is the RB, needs protection. Double up on either flank and we can easily stop their progress.

Too much is placed on Lampard's return. At the most I see him on the bench, and making a late 2nd half sub appearance.

So here's my take on the lineup. Its worth the experiment but I'm not sure it'll happen:

Cech

Ferreira - Ivanovic - Terry - A.Cole

Essien - Mikel

Ramires - Anelka - Malouda

Drogba

Subs: Turnbull, Bruma, Kalou, Sturridge, McEachran, Lampard/Kakuta, VanAanholt/Zhirkov

Wait? Whats that? Ramires on the right side of midfield*. Yes. And thats precisely where he should be playing ATM. He's got enough pace, energy to press the oppo LB, and also protect the RB, by being able to double up on Bale. He's played a similar role for Brazil and he's more than capable of doing so for Chelsea. Plus it also keeps him away from the central defensive positions where he's culpable.

*Something I suggested here in response to Blue Fever.

Alternatively the midfield lineup above could easily be morphed into:

Essien - Mikel - Malouda

Ramires - Drogba - Anelka

Great post....the right back issue, as it was against Everton comes from the protection offered (or not offered in the Everton game).......one on one, Bale will skin any right back at the moment due to his electric pace and dribbling. Therefore we have to deal with it by doubling up.

Honestly, while we're struggling for form all over the pitch and being overrun in midfield by almost everyone we have played in the last 1.5 months why do we not just try reverting to a 4-5-1 and flood the midfield, sticking Drogba up top?

I think by doing this it will let Drogba focus more on what he needs to be doing, I.e. being a real handful up front and a goal threat in the middle as opposed to dropping so deep, whilst it will also - in theory - enable the midfield to get more of the ball so we can actually feed Drogba.

It means dropping Anelka but one of the main problems about our squad being so thin is that these players can play poorly without fear of being dropped for the next game. Give Anelka something to think about and others too if necessary. The 4-3-3 isn't working right now and simply has to be changed.

Yes it is outwardly negative to go 4-5-1 but let's face it, we're playing poorly all over the pitch and not scoring with the 4-3-3 anyway! Certainly worth a try in my book.

As for who that 5 is that's another question... maybe Ramires' performances will get at least a little better with another mate in the midfield nearby?

Mikel as the anchor, Essien in front of him hassling Tottenham's midfield and then ask Malouda (or Zhirkov if he is fit) to play more like he did in the San Siro last year helping the left back out.

At right-back Carlo should play Ivanovic and just risk Bruma in the centre with Terry as Ferreira will not deal with Bale at all - Defoe will fancy his chances but Bale's much more of a threat than he is IMO and Ivanovic is best equipped to deal with it. Ramires doubling up on Bale with Ivanovic from the right of midfield is what I would try.

For the most advanced of the midfield 5 I'm not sure who I would plump for - can McEachran give Drogba enough support in an advanced role yet? Kakuta would be a big risk, Sturridge too deep for his liking.

Just an idea but I really think we should try it - can't work out much worse than sticking with the same-old same-old. Obviously if Lamps is back then he slots in midfield helping out Essien and feeding Drogba through the middle.

Anyways, first post here after a long time reading. Hi.

Cal   

I agree with the ideas above, but there's no way we'll change shape out of the blue in a game like this unfortunately.

I'd go

Cech

Ivanovic Terry Bruma A.Cole

Essien Mikel

Anelka Lampard Malouda

Drogba

Playing 2 holding midfielders than way they can support the wing backs. We have to have width in this game or we'll get stuffed. We can't invite their wide men on to us or we'll get a dicking.

Unfortunately, I can see us going...

Cech

Ferriera Ivanovic Terry Cole

Mikel

Essien Malouda

Kalou Drogba Malouda

Would rather Sturridge be given a run than Kalou.

^^

You have to create a full aged clone of Malouda for that team inside 2 days.

Besides all, many things are depending on the player who's going to mark Ferraira while Ferraira marking Bale.

Honestly, while we're struggling for form all over the pitch and being overrun in midfield by almost everyone we have played in the last 1.5 months why do we not just try reverting to a 4-5-1 and flood the midfield, sticking Drogba up top?

I totally agree. We won't beat anyone 6-0 that way though. It is interesting to note that we played more cautiously against the top 4 last year and won all 6, but dropped tons of points to weaker teams.

On Anelka - another was of putting it is that if he isn't willing to put in the groundwork to support the midfield, he shouldn't be playing in 433 except as the target man. The gap in the amount of work put in between by Malouda compared to Anelka/Kalou is quite ridiculous. And often Malouda is expected to be the closes to DD to allow Anelka scope to roam.

At RB - Ferreira is the best candidate, and it is being silly (and futile) to suggest anything else.

Cal   

I agree with the ideas above, but there's no way we'll change shape out of the blue in a game like this unfortunately.

I'd go

Cech

Ivanovic Terry Bruma A.Cole

Essien Mikel

Anelka Lampard Malouda

Drogba

Playing 2 holding midfielders than way they can support the wing backs. We have to have width in this game or we'll get stuffed. We can't invite their wide men on to us or we'll get a dicking.

Unfortunately, I can see us going...

Cech

Ferriera Ivanovic Terry Cole

Mikel

Essien Malouda

Kalou Drogba Anelka

Would rather Sturridge be given a run than Kalou.

Cech

Essien JT Bane Ash

Mikel

Lampard McEachran

Anelka DD Malouda

Essien can only do a better job at RB than Paulo....this is assuming Bosingwa doesn't recover in time otherwise it would be him at RB and Essien inplace of either Lamps or McEachran

Gilvorak   

At RB - Ferreira is the best candidate, and it is being silly (and futile) to suggest anything else.

Are you seriously suggesting Ferreira is a better fullback than Ivanovic?