• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir

Live Match Thread: Chelsea Vs Manchester United

Sir   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to the Champions League match against Manchester United, before and during the game.

Moderators and our legal people will be keeping an eye on things. Keep it intelligent.

Please note that this unmoderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is at 19:45 hrs, Wednesday, 6th April 2011, at Stamford Bridge.

Important Stream Info

Don't forget to join ClubCFCnet it's only £1 per month http://www.clubcfcnet.com

CFCnet on Facebook

CFCnet on Twitter

Sir   

Just no excuses any more..... Barely any injuries.... This is the only competition we can win.... And its the team that beat us on penalties in the final.... For me, there really is no excuse now. Would any one play the highlights of the final before the game, to fire them up a bit more?

Just no excuses any more..... Barely any injuries....

I'd be surprised if there really are no injuries. Lampard doesn't look full fit, nor does Essien. Neither Alex nor Benayoun would be available to start I reckon (playing 20 mins for Israel against Georgia ≠ match fit).

United are likely to change 5 players, we will make 2 changes I guess (and one of those played twice in the last week).

We have the better players, they'll be a lot fresher, but then that has been part of the game plan from the start of the season (or indeed longer).

Sir   

I'd be surprised if there really are no injuries. Lampard doesn't look full fit, nor does Essien. Neither Alex nor Benayoun would be available to start I reckon (playing 20 mins for Israel against Georgia ≠ match fit).

United are likely to change 5 players, we will make 2 changes I guess (and one of those played twice in the last week).

We have the better players, they'll be a lot fresher, but then that has been part of the game plan from the start of the season (or indeed longer).

i did say 'barely any.' And players not looking fit, doesn't mean they are injured. Alex should of been back now, no doubt about it. And Benayoun is basically back, so really, we only have 1 injury, I guess. A lot less than Man United.

We have less injuries but unfortunately Lampard,malouda,Essien(improved recently though)are way off form.If we turn up there is no doubt in my mind we will win.However there is one thing,that at least for this game all the players will be fired up.

Arkie   

Shame but I dont trust CA anymore, and lost confidence in this team (this season only), dont see how we can raise our game at the moment.Our last shot at silverware till the next season, Manager is working for his future here, players for their future in the team. Can we win this game? I think not , Man Utd have been in a good form recently, their strikers are firing and Rio/Vidic partnership might be restored. I predict Drogba/Kalou upfront, with probably zhirkov/ramires on the wings. Alex to make dramatic comeback for the CL? if not we might be doomed, because Bosingwa scares me sometimes with his terribleness. Good luck Chels.

Prediction 1-1.

Sir   

Chelsea

ANCELOTTI: FACING DESTINY

As thoughts begin to turn towards Wednesday's opening encounter in Chelsea's big, all-Premier League quarter-final tie in European competition, there is a feeling that we have been here before in more ways than one.

Meeting other English clubs over two legs in the latter stages of the Champions League is certainly nothing new for the Blues, and even if Manchester United have previously been avoided in the quarter-final and semi-final stages, there are of course the memories of Moscow in 2008 and the final that Chelsea lost by the narrowest of margins.

For Carlo Ancelotti as well, he has faced Alex Ferguson's side in the competition when in charge of AC Milan and come out on top (2-0 on aggregate in 2005 and 5-3 in 2007) as he has done in the three league meetings since becoming Chelsea manager, however he insists: 'That is the past and now is a different story.

'We have to play against a fantastic team with tradition and history in the Champions League and that counts. It is important to have tradition and history in the Champions League because the experience of the team and the characteristic of the players are very important for this kind of game when there is a lot of pressure.

'The reason why Milan won the Champions League a lot of times is the tradition of the club and for Man United it is the same. They have fantastic players and a fantastic coach but history and tradition of this club is also the power.'

But Chelsea will be taking strength from out last visit to Old Trafford - a 2-1 win when the pressure was very much on in the title race run-in.

'We arrived in that game in fantastic condition. We won the game before 7-1 against Aston Villa and Man United were a little bit down and we played with 100 per cent of our possibility, but to play against them every time is difficult.

'Last month at Stamford Bridge was the same. They played better for 45 minutes but we were able to come back to win that game.'

On the Champions League past between Chelsea and Manchester United, Ancelotti says:

'If our players think about the game in Moscow, obviously they are not happy. John Terry is not happy about what he lost in that game, other players are not happy also and that could be a good motivation because this could be a destiny. It could be the real time that Chelsea do something in the Champions League.

'It is a little bit like Milan when to play Liverpool in the final of the Champions League two years after losing to them was for us the destiny.'

The Italian confirms that any date with destiny John Terry might have in the quarter-final is unlikely to include him taking a penalty in a shoot-out if that ends up deciding the tie.

'He is not in the first five players to take a penalty, but if he needs to shoot one, he will shoot one.

'Beating Man United is very important but it will not define our season 100 per cent because we want to win a trophy. It is not enough just to beat Man United.

Zhirkov has to start ahead of Malouda for this one. I would be livid if Malouda starts again after his pathetic display against Stoke. Also, Bosingwa needs to be more conservative in this match. Too often he was caught too high up the pitch yesterday.

And I really wonder whether Ancelotti will switch back to 4-3-3 to keep things tighter as we can't afford to concede away goals. We were too open against United when we played 4-4-2 in the league game. We certainly can't risk having an open game, not when we are playing the first leg at home.

Zhirkov has to start ahead of Malouda for this one. I would be livid if Malouda starts again after his pathetic display against Stoke.

Nice idea, except when Zhirkov has started he has been no better.

Also, Bosingwa needs to be more conservative in this match. Too often he was caught too high up the pitch yesterday.

That is a matter that needs to be addressed to CA, not Bosingwa. He's just following orders.