Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CostaTheBlue

Summer 2011 Cricket Thread

0 posts in this topic

This thread is to discuss County Cricket and England's matches against Sri Lanka and India in the summer.

So which county cricket team does everyone support, I support Hampshire.

Good old Sussex by the sea. I will be spending many a glorious sunny day at Hove in a deck chair with my cold bag full of boddingtons keeping the stats and listening to the local commentary on my earphones. Perfect.

Somerset, I went to Uni at Bath and kindof fell in love with the county. Taunton is awesome, loved my time there!

Malinga retires from Test Cricket. What a fantastic boost for England and we certainly needed it.

Malinga retires from Test Cricket. What a fantastic boost for England and we certainly needed it.

Whilst that is good news for England, Malinga isn't half the bowler in test matches that he is in limited overs cricket. Now with Murali gone, Sri Lanka's attack looks very average. And whilst they've still got a some awesome batsman (although their star man Sangakkara averages only 30.54 in England with a high score of 66), Sri Lanka away from home are a very, very different proposition to playing them in their own country. The only test series away from home they've won since the 1999/2000 season have been against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe - http://stats.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/engine/records/team/series_results.html?class=1;id=8;type=team

And for all our failings recently in the one dayers, our Test record over the past few years is immense. Not lost a series since early 2009 and since then we've beaten Australia home and away and drawn away against South Africa. I'd imagine England to win the 3 match series either 3-0 or 2-0.

India will provide a much tougher test as they've got more bowlers who can hurt England, and Tendulkar just seems to be getting better, but we'll get to them in July...

Yorkshire fan and was quite happy with our start to the season until last week's results. Lancashire starting the season so well only makes it worse. Hopefully they won't maintain their early season form and make it 77 years without with the County Championship outright.

Can't see us beating Sri Lanka unfortunatly. They showed in the World Cup that they're a much better team despite being a small poverty stricken country and England being a medium sized rich country. It'll probably be 2-0 to Sri Lanka with the other Test being a draw due to the rainy early summer weather in England.

Lancashire... good to see us starting so well too!!

Can't see us beating Sri Lanka unfortunatly. They showed in the World Cup that they're a much better team despite being a small poverty stricken country and England being a medium sized rich country. It'll probably be 2-0 to Sri Lanka with the other Test being a draw due to the rainy early summer weather in England.

Predicting England to lose? Good news for England then. They showed in the world cup that they're a very good one day team especially in home conditions. Just the 11 years since they won an away test series (not inc Bangladesh n Zimbabwe), and now they've got to do it without Muralitharan. All this not taking into account England's recent test record. Although surely there must be something you base all these predictions you get wrong on?

Predicting England to lose? Good news for England then.

Yeah, it really worked in the World Cup!