• Current Donation Goals

AnniHilat0R

Official: Thibaut Courtois Signs New 5 Year Contract

chara   

When TC arrived, eventually, I really believed he was the right choice to succeed PC who, although not finished by a long shot, had a shorter shelf life as it were. The first season seemed to prove the point and PC departed. Was sorry to see him go but it is a harsh business and to quote (again) I believe Shankley "Better to let a player go a year too soon than a year too late"

Once PC had gone, as I wrote earlier, the red card and injury seemed to drag TC down and he has never looked the same player with so much potential as he did and playing for Belgium.

The answer? I don't know I keep waiting for the real TC to reappear but perhaps we are seeing the real TC. If that is the case then perhaps Chelsea should be looking again but where? It is so long since a keeper appeared from the youth scheme,struggling to remember the young guy who basically pushed out Borota..Steve Francis? looked really good but faded.went to Swindon ? (sure Droy can help out here!)

Bego was once mentioned as a Chelsea target when he looked to be a coming name. A good keeper but not a great one and Eduardo is an unknown neither keeper can be called more than,Bego certainly, a good backup.

Joe Hart was mentioned albeit tongue in cheek I think by Martin1905..,despite Pep's allergy he wouldn't be a bad choice but still not the answer.(Maybe short term) Keepers get hammered for lapses whilst outfield players get more stick for overall performances,Just shows up more. A point to be considered with TC,Not excusing him.

My main criticism of TC is his apparent inability to organize his defence..no JT no organizing,covers others but ultimately it's a keepers job.

In my very modest playing days I remember being pitched into a first team spot at short notice after being signed basically  from park football as  cover.  Bit of a jump but in the first few minutes I got a b********g from the captain "Bit of tongue" screamed at me more than once..never forgot that lesson, A basic keepers requirement.

This season,if we are all honest with ourselves is one for rebuilding,that means confidence as well as team strengthening so if TC regains his form by the end all well and good if not I fear it will be very difficult to get a top class replacement,not many out there.

My mantra when coaching keepers was the three C's...Courage Confidence and Concentration. Without Courage there is no keeper an unstated requirement Concentration and Confidence feed off each other..the reverse is also true lack of either drags down the other. What do you all see with TC? or remember from PC?

So... Only a day after we talk about how the Belgians like to mouth off about leaving Courtois does exactly that. After that Liverpool performance. 

God, he really doesn't have much tact does he? You want leave? Feck right off then. Won't miss him one bit. I've met walls with a bigger personality than him. 

On 9/19/2016 at 5:55 PM, Droy was my hero said:

^I think the loop on that shot would have beaten anyone not actually standing on the goal line and at the far post.
And chuck one into the net is a gross exaggeration for that shot he saved and landed on.  I seem to recall Cech a week ago have one bounce off his back and in.

I'm not sure how much this picture proves one way or another, but it is a great picture so..  He does at least get his hand up to the bar height.

CsgAwQkW8AAbi30.png:medium

I don't like all this bitching about players.  If they were that crap then the manager would pick someone else, as I am constantly being told.

If that shot had crept under his body and over the line it would have been a horrific mistake. It was a very very weak miss hit shot that he should have dealt with it without having us brown our trousers in the first minute. It really doesn't do our defense any good to see that kind of heart in the mouth stuff from their keeper.  Maybe Henderson shot was unstoppable, certainly from where he was standing, but his position was questionable (I think).  I don't like bitching about players or managers but you've got to vent of somehow.

1 hour ago, chara said:

It is so long since a keeper appeared from the youth scheme,struggling to remember the young guy who basically pushed out Borota..Steve Francis? looked really good but faded.went to Swindon ? (sure Droy can help out here!)

I couldn't remember but did find this which you might enjoy.  Yes Steve Francis

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s748/st185217.htm

The good one that got away was Steve Sherwood.  I remember my Dad telling me after the Boxing day 1971 match with QPR he had sat down next to a very excited man who reckoned that his nephew, Steve Sherwood, had had a call to return rapidly to Stamford Bridge and play.  But it seems he didn't arrive in time so David Webb played instead.

Sherwood played 16 times for us Wikipedia reckons, but soon went off on loan, and then got sold to little old Watford down in the distant 4th division.  Come 82/83 though and the Elton John Watford finished 2nd in the league and we were 18th in Div 2.  So he did alright.

7 minutes ago, Harvz said:

Proving again that he's a bit of a gobsh*te.

To be fair, we have no idea when the interview was conducted. I know from first hand experience that an interview I conducted with someone wasn't used by my editor at the time, then months later it was, and some of the replies my interviewee gave, which were OK at the time, proved to be embarrassing (especially given some of the selective editing that was done). I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but we don't know.

Harvz   
17 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

To be fair, we have no idea when the interview was conducted. I know from first hand experience that an interview I conducted with someone wasn't used by my editor at the time, then months later it was, and some of the replies my interviewee gave, which were OK at the time, proved to be embarrassing (especially given some of the selective editing that was done). I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but we don't know.

Makes no different to the point I was making. Being a gobsh*te doesn't have a statute of limitations.

6 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

So... Only a day after we talk about how the Belgians like to mouth off about leaving Courtois does exactly that. After that Liverpool performance. 

God, he really doesn't have much tact does he? You want leave? Feck right off then. Won't miss him one bit. I've met walls with a bigger personality than him. 

Grow up.  

This is the interview translated into English by Marca

http://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2016/09/20/57e0589322601d0e148b4580.html

And the fuller Spanish version which is longer but no more offensive (using google translate)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marca.com%2Ffutbol%2Fpremier-league%2F2016%2F09%2F20%2F57e02f2a268e3e24118b4592.html&edit-text=