AnniHilat0R

Official: Thibaut Courtois Signs New 5 Year Contract

1,553 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Regarding Cahill's celebration... I saw it more as an immense source of relief for him after giving away two stupid goals in previous games, rather than any anti-JM feelings.

Agreed. Again, not sure Cahill had any axe to grind anyway.

Earlier there was a "debate" because TC was top (or bottom!) of a table showing shot/goal ratio or such. I tried to point out that such statistics are just that ,statistics, and do not reflect the reality of the position(keeper) for TC or anyone on the list.

Now TC is top of the list of shutouts I see no comments here. Although I stand by my "statistics" comment it still is far more relevant than the earlier listing.

I truly expect someone to poopoo the second list because its due to "the defence" and new system and not in part toTC's gradual return to form.

Credit where due ( I slated Matic earlier in the season but he too has regained a lot of form)

15 minutes ago, chara said:

Earlier there was a "debate" because TC was top (or bottom!) of a table showing shot/goal ratio or such. I tried to point out that such statistics are just that ,statistics, and do not reflect the reality of the position(keeper) for TC or anyone on the list.

Now TC is top of the list of shutouts I see no comments here. Although I stand by my "statistics" comment it still is far more relevant than the earlier listing.

I truly expect someone to poopoo the second list because its due to "the defence" and new system and not in part toTC's gradual return to form.

Credit where due ( I slated Matic earlier in the season but he too has regained a lot of form)

Not criticising Courtois, as he hasn't made any mistakes but we have only conceded 9 shots on target in the last 6 games. We are defending so well, he is having to do very little, but what he does have to do, he has done well. 

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Not criticising Courtois, as he hasn't made any mistakes but we have only conceded 9 shots on target in the last 6 games. We are defending so well, he is having to do very little, but what he does have to do, he has done well. 

I agree he's not had much to do but at the same time the most important thing you need as a GK in a an excellent defensive team is concentration. For instance, I always think of David James, who was great when he was being bombarded with shots every ten minutes week in, week out but woeful when he only had to do something once or twice a game. Additionally, I think Courtois gets a bit of stick because he obviously would like to go back to Spain at some point and replaced an absolute legend in Cech. Now for me that was a club/Jose call and not something we can really blame the boy for, especially when you consider we were the ones that sent him out on loan for three years and he became a bit of a cult hero. 

Agree absolutely.

It is "easy" (yeah right!) to be up on your game when under "Alamo" conditions but to keep concentration, especially in a tight game with only a one goal cushion, and make that one or two stops that keep the score down is something to be lauded.

My opinions on Cech v Courtois have been pretty consistent in the past couple of years. 

I am / was a big, big fan of Cech and I actually thought we made the wrong call in ditching him and keeping Courtois, particularly last year when I thought he was awful. The last few weeks has made me change my mind, although I remain unconvinced Courtois will stick around for the long haul, and we end up having to replace him quite soon. He has been superb in our run since Arsenal away and has made a string of important saves at key points of certain games. He oozes calm at the back at the minute, something that drastically missing from the oppo. 

I didn't like what happened to Cech on Saturday - to be embarrassed in front of the fans who worshiped him was harsh but perhaps underlined the difference between the 2 at the moment. Not that the error was business critical, but from the Arsenal fans viewpoint to eff up, and pick out their ex player in the process.........dear oh dear. 

I felt a bit for Cech there, wonderful servant for us. As for Courtois he has really upped his game this season though I think some of that is as much to do with good organisation in front of him than him organising his defence. I dont think that he is that kind of keeper. But credit to him for some eye catching saves recently.

6 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

I felt a bit for Cech there, wonderful servant for us. As for Courtois he has really upped his game this season though I think some of that is as much to do with good organisation in front of him than him organising his defence. I dont think that he is that kind of keeper. But credit to him for some eye catching saves recently.

A keeper can only organise what's ahead of him so much. He's getting far better protection these days because we're a more cohesive unit under Conte and players are executing their roles more effectively defensively, which makes a huge difference to the workload Courtois has to face. Last season we were all over the place and a lot of the goals we gave up there wasn't a whole lot Courtois could do to prevent them. Now, he's making crucial saves because a lot of the chances being given away aren't so clear cut. 

He's made some absolute brilliant saves though this season, more so when he's often had minimal involvement in the game. That takes great concentration mentally, among some excellent physical aspects too in making such saves. 

Courtois has done his bit in this team to keep us at the top. Credit to him.. I have often expressed reservations about him but he stands a great chance of capturing the third league title of his young career. And if we should go on to win the league, he can certainly feel that he did his part as  he pulled off some crucial saves on Saturday alone against Arsenal.

It would be wrong move for him to go to the circus at Real. Especially with Conte at Chelsea. I would stay as long as Conte is here. It seems like there's so much you can learn from Conte about football.