• Current Donation Goals

AnniHilat0R

Thibaut Courtois Departs

On 25-10-2016 at 1:04 PM, DaviesCFC said:

Did what he needed to do well against United (aside from that early Herrera shot he could have done a little better with), also nice to see his passion going to the crowd after one of the goals too. Still not sold on him, but maybe these few results are showing an upturn in confidence.

Could it be he was extra pumped up due to the identity of the opponents manager?

35 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

Could it be he was extra pumped up due to the identity of the opponents manager?

Could've been, however that'd be a little bit harsh in my view - Jose effectively chose Courtois over a club legend and long-term first choice and arguably as good goalkeeper, as his No.1 and showed no public sign of reversing that.

that's true its just the first thing that came to mind

paulw66   
1 hour ago, fillerywhereru said:

that's true its just the first thing that came to mind

As East Lower suggests though, of all the players who could have an issue with JM, Courtois is probably the last. 

yep I inderstood what he was saying but like I said it was my first thought without thinking it through. Given some of the things that he is credited to have said in the press I wouldnt be massively surprised if he was a bit of a turncoat.

15 hours ago, paulw66 said:

As East Lower suggests though, of all the players who could have an issue with JM, Courtois is probably the last. 

Surprisingly for me, look back at how Gary Cahill celebrated his goal against Man Utd. The talk, talk gesture he made with his hand and how much feeling there was behind the celebration, it's a bit unusual for him. That did look a bit like he had some agenda behind the celebration.

Courtois does look like/come across as a bit of an odd character, perhaps he's a bit too docile and laid back and says too much (or just the wrong thing). 

2 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Surprisingly for me, look back at how Gary Cahill celebrated his goal against Man Utd. The talk, talk gesture he made with his hand and how much feeling there was behind the celebration, it's a bit unusual for him. That did look a bit like he had some agenda behind the celebration.

Perhaps he had been reading stuff about him on a well known "supporters forum."

58 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Perhaps he had been reading stuff about him on a well known "supporters forum."

Just wait until Matic bags one then!!........................................................just messing.

TBFair for me Cahill had appeared to be in poor form and/or low in confidence. The switch in formation has appeared to have worked in reversing that, not only for him but as a defensive unit. In a more traditional back four Cahill looked a better player when paired with JT. Also he's consistently been a threat at attacking set-pieces during his time with us.

1 hour ago, East Lower said:

Courtois does look like/come across as a bit of an odd character, perhaps he's a bit too docile and laid back and says too much (or just the wrong thing). 

Regarding Cahill's celebration... I saw it more as an immense source of relief for him after giving away two stupid goals in previous games, rather than any anti-JM feelings.

5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Regarding Cahill's celebration... I saw it more as an immense source of relief for him after giving away two stupid goals in previous games, rather than any anti-JM feelings.

Again, that could be the case. It was the 'chat,chat' gesture that particularly puzzled me. I don't remember JM publicly saying too much personally negative about Gary. There was the well publicised "they betrayed my work" quotes after the Leicester away game last season (JM's last as manager). Thin skins matched with big ego's, not a good cocktail, as JM is finding out perhaps at Man Utd.

Perhaps the Coach/Manager now has be quite a passive character and not have those same characteristics these days? The days of abrasive dressing-room characters such as SAF, JM(?) have passed. Players and in particular the 13-30 year old's in society (and I'm generalising) have become so adverse to any criticism or even perceived criticism, they react negatively in their own ways.

I watched the Man Utd game last night, Luke Shaw barely made an effort in comparison to how he used to play. Now he may have lost some confidence and maybe a yard of pace with the broken leg he had, that doesn't stop basic work rate. He's been challenged to improve, looked like he couldn't be 'bovvered'. I believe the newly coined phrase to describe them is the 'Snowflake Generation'.