• Current Donation Goals

AnniHilat0R

Thibaut Courtois Departs

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

If you haven't seen enough of Ederson  ,seeing as they're on telly most weeks , how can you run the rule over the others?

Not quite what I said, or at least what I meant ... My point was more that I've not seen enough of Ederson under much pressure to really have a strong view of him as an individual. Clearly he's done well. I think most keepers would have done pretty well at City this season (which perhaps go to show how much of a dud Bravo was/is, and just what a bad goalkeeper really looks like). The others I've seen a bit more of when things are going well as well as when they're up against it. And I think that's where Courtois has been this season; up against it by being behind a fairly self-destructive defensive set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Not quite what I said, or at least what I meant ... My point was more that I've not seen enough of Ederson under much pressure to really have a strong view of him as an individual. Clearly he's done well. I think most keepers would have done pretty well at City this season (which perhaps go to show how much of a dud Bravo was/is, and just what a bad goalkeeper really looks like). The others I've seen a bit more of when things are going well as well as when they're up against it. And I think that's where Courtois has been this season; up against it by being behind a fairly self-destructive defensive set up.

He's making the defence look bad by not commanding his area and they never know whether he's going to stay or come .

We have a baby at Centre half , he needs help not indecision .

You can't even say Courtois is a good shot shopper anymore , he's not even trying , he thinks going down on one knee is enough he rarely even dives these days.

I promise you , there's a decent keeper in there somewhere , he just had to be bothered.

I would swap him with any of the names on my list tomorrow .

Don't listen to me though , listen to Chara when he says that Willy isn't a better keeper but he's a better keeper NOW. Courtois is dialing it in . He's a , I'm not even going to say it .

Edited by Mark Kelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Droy you compared a 25 year old Courtois with a 35 year old Cech!! Tell me if that means anything at apart from age makes sportsman less effective. I was perfectly entitled to compare the two at their peak and I maintain it's a non contest.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leo91   

He was exceptional in our title winning seasons. That save away to Sunderland in the last minute was world class. But I'm struggling to think of a standout performance this year (Arsenal away he actually made two very good stops and kept us in it), there might be one or two more but that's not nearly enough considering some of our loses. I genuinely would not lose sleep if we got in Jack Butland as a replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

^Droy you compared a 25 year old Courtois with a 35 year old Cech!! Tell me if that means anything at apart from age makes sportsman less effective. I was perfectly entitled to compare the two at their peak and I maintain it's a non contest.   

Compare away - Osgood was better than Morata, Wilkins at 19 was a lot lot better than Lampard.  Not sure where that gets us though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Compare away - Osgood was better than Morata, Wilkins at 19 was a lot lot better than Lampard.  Not sure where that gets us though.

but your the one comparing apples and oranges by comparing a 25 year old Courtois with a 35 year old Cech. Where does that get us? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NoblyBobly said:

but your the one comparing apples and oranges by comparing a 25 year old Courtois with a 35 year old Cech. Where does that get us? 

If you go to the shop, you'll find the options are apples or oranges.  Other than for vintage wines or cars, the choice between a 2008 Granny Smith or a 2018 Golden Delicious is not often considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

If you go to the shop, you'll find the options are apples or oranges.  Other than for vintage wines or cars, the choice between a 2008 Granny Smith or a 2018 Golden Delicious is not often considered.

ok enough wth the fruit. How about this. Despite Cech having a poor recent run of form, I would have been happier with him as our keeper this season than Courtois despite him being 10 years older than Courtois. Maybe his experience would help. Maybe he would talk to and organise the defence better than Courtois. Maybe his love and connection with the club means would try that little bit more and be bothered a bit more when we lose. Maybe he's a better vintage. Maybe he's an all round better keeper. Maybe Cech never wanted to leave and Courtois never wanted to be here in the first place.

None of this gets us anywhere particularly , it's just opinions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Courtois is going we need to be looking at Alisson or Oblak. Apart from De Gea and Ederson the other PL GK's are not as good even, if Courtois can be up and down in his form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

If Courtois is going we need to be looking at Alisson or Oblak. Apart from De Gea and Ederson the other PL GK's are not as good even, if Courtois can be up and down in his form.

two more foreigners one being a Brazilian goal keeper?- what about Jamal Blackman he has been at the club since 13?

if the club brings In a replacement then its Pickford for me

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now