• Current Donation Goals

AnniHilat0R

Thibaut Courtois Departs

18 minutes ago, bert19 said:

I agree with your sound reasoning here Bob.  One thing I would point out though is that as far as Courtois is concerned himself, he wouldn't find it untoward to tell the club he won't be signing a new deal in July.  I'd guess it's the same with any player in his position.  

It's not "sound reasoning". It's pure and simple fact. Courtois has said for some time that an offer was on the table but no decision would be made until after the World Cup (remember all the stories in the new year surrounding both Hazard's and Courtois' contracts... "I'll sign if he signs"?)

We then have the ridiculous situation of certain posters believing the recent press stories that 'talks have broken down' and others posting 'I've just read in such and such that talks haven't broken down, just delayed' as if it were news hot off the press! It was genuinely news back in January... now, not so much!

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

It's not "sound reasoning". It's pure and simple fact. Courtois has said for some time that an offer was on the table but no decision would be made until after the World Cup (remember all the stories in the new year surrounding both Hazard's and Courtois' contracts... "I'll sign if he signs"?)

Which is what he would say if he is thinking about signing it.

And is what he would say if he intended not to sign it.

And is only what he would not say if he was certain to sign it.

8 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I curse the day we disposed of a club legend for this piece of filth. 

He won't be missed and I'd be surprised if he got anything but jeers when returning to the Bridge. 

Filth?

Take a step back matey. He's a professional football player. Its how he makes his living. Moving clubs is like moving company. Don't take it personally

He makes decisions for himself based on his own perception of how his career is panning out. Just as any serious person would

I don't think he has lived up to expectations here but he might at another club just like salah.

Heyho let him go and we move on. No biggie

• Like 1

☝️  Well said. No need to call someone "filth" like that.

41 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

☝️  Well said. No need to call someone "filth" like that.

You might care to review a few of your own posts then

My take on the Courtois situation is simple.

If I want to change employer, I keep showing up for work until my employer allows me to go. I don't stop showing up for work to force my employer to let me go. Courtois has history of this, he did the exact same thing at his previous club when Chelsea were interested. Refused to train, refused to play. He has form for this. This is not about us. It's typical behaviour from him.

He used his family the manipulate the club into selling him, which was proved to be an excuse when he then turned around and on the record said he would see out his contract if necessary, and even demanded a bigger contract offer on the record at the end of the WC.

Club have been trying to replace him all summer, and rightly didn't wnat to let him go until a replacement was secured. That's been the only delay, club knew what was happening and have just taken time to source a replacement.

Courtois has been disrespectful to the shirt, disrespectful to the fans, and to those who pay his large wages. He cares nothing about Chelsea or the fans, only himself. If he wants to leave on a professoinal level, I understand a guy wanting to move clubs - but the way he has handled it is a disgrace. Be a man, be decent, show up and train as you're paid to do. He and the club know the position and club have been working to replace him all summer, so no need to go on strike in such an unprofessonal, disrespectful manner.

Petr Cech would never have behaved in this way in a million years. Courtois won't be long remembered by me.

27 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

If I want to change employer, I keep showing up for work until my employer allows me to go. I don't stop showing up for work to force my employer to let me go. Courtois has history of this, he did the exact same thing at his previous club when Chelsea were interested. Refused to train, refused to play. He has form for this. This is not about us. It's typical behaviour from him.

He used his family the manipulate the club into selling him, which was proved to be an excuse when he then turned around and on the record said he would see out his contract if necessary, and even demanded a bigger contract offer on the record at the end of the WC.

Club have been trying to replace him all summer, and rightly didn't wnat to let him go until a replacement was secured. That's been the only delay, club knew what was happening and have just taken time to source a replacement.

Courtois has been disrespectful to the shirt, disrespectful to the fans, and to those who pay his large wages. He cares nothing about Chelsea or the fans, only himself. If he wants to leave on a professoinal level, I understand a guy wanting to move clubs - but the way he has handled it is a disgrace. Be a man, be decent, show up and train as you're paid to do. He and the club know the position and club have been working to replace him all summer, so no need to go on strike in such an unprofessonal, disrespectful manner.

Petr Cech would never have behaved in this way in a million years. Courtois won't be long remembered by me.

Well said James. I also don't believe Petr Cech would ever contemplate a stunt like the one Courtois has just pulled. 

I do disagree with one thing here though, given the size of the offer and speed at which it occurred, to me it's a clear indication that this was done without much prior planning. Obviously the club will have a good idea of the keepers around that may fit our profile. Afterall, that is why we have scouts. So I'm sure once we knew Courtois was off we already had a shortlist of keepers that we were following. 

But £71m for a goalkeeper with 53 La Liga starts and 0 european experience is not the going market rate. Far from it. This reeks of desperation - no time for negotioations. We just pay the clause and be done with it. Imagine if we had showed similar determination when strengthening S and AM. 

49 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

If I want to change employer, I keep showing up for work until my employer allows me to go. I don't stop showing up for work to force my employer to let me go.

In plenty of jobs, when you want to change employers and make that clear to them, they tell you not to come in. 

The rest is silly, indignant projection. 

I've no doubt dealings between the club and Courtois will have been at best forthright and at worst adversarial, but this is a perfect example of an exciting but less likely story taking hold over a boring but common one. 

Have to say, I do always respect the club's radio silence policy on these matters. We don't hang our players out to dry the way the Liverpools or Arsenals of the world do. 

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

. But £71m for a goalkeeper with 53 La Liga starts and 0 european experience is not the going market rate. Far from it. This reeks of desperation - no time for negotioations. We just pay the clause and be done with it. Imagine if we had showed similar determination when strengthening S and AM. 

Its exactly the going rate. Alisson had 37 appearances for Roma and went for a similar amount. Kepa has for some time now been seen as one of the best young goalkeepers in the world. Hardly anyone  had heard of Alisson before last season.

He's worth every bit what Alisson went for. I think it's utter madness but that's where the market is right now.

Pickford would have cost even more and I know who I'd rather have. 

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

Like others, you are basing your take on events purely on one journalist initially having claimed he was AWOL and everyone else jumping onto that particular narrative. We know he hasn't been at Cobham. That is the ONLY fact any of us have. For all we know he was told by the club not to return, in which case he's not AWOL.