• Current Donation Goals

AnniHilat0R

Thibaut Courtois Departs

3 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

What has this to do with Allison and Kepa and their respective fees?

Rather obviously it is that experience is not the same as value.  You seem to struggle with that.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Rather obviously it is that experience is not the same as value.  You seem to struggle with that.

Not at all. 

But I'm struggling to see how next to no experience can be valued at a world record. It's either us buying Gigi Buffon at 18 or we're being taken to the cleaners. 

19 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Not at all. 

But I'm struggling to see how next to no experience can be valued at a world record. It's either us buying Gigi Buffon at 18 or we're being taken to the cleaners. 

In that case we'll need to wait 20 years... still that's 30 years shorter than Rees-Mogg reckons the country will see the benefits of Brexit!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Not at all. 

But, and I'm aware how this reads, Gigi Buffon wasn't Gigi Buffon at 18.

I'm all for buying established quality, but I think that is a market we're years off being players in. What wage is Kepa gonna be on? 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

What wage is Kepa gonna be on? 

Good point. His new contract in January was apparently for £60k so my guess is we are saving £7.5-10m a year in the difference in wages compared to what we would have been paying TC on a new contract (assuming Kepa on £80-100k and TC on £250-300k). Taken over 3-4 years that adjusts the fee paid considerably.

Ham   

He got dog's abuse from Chelsea fans and took this message down from twitter very quickly.

Screenshot_20180808-233800_Twitter.jpg

13 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

But, and I'm aware how this reads, Gigi Buffon wasn't Gigi Buffon at 18.

I'm all for buying established quality, but I think that is a market we're years off being players in. What wage is Kepa gonna be on? 

Lol I see what you are trying to say, but my point was that Gigi Buffon was an insane talent at 17. At 17 everyone knew he'd be the best keeper inte world. He was that good. 

For those type of players you pay top dollar. Maybe Kepa is in that category, maybe he isn't. I haven't seen enough of him to be able to judge that. 

I think the rumoured salary Courtois was on was £140k/week. I'd assume he'd be looking at £250k/week to sign an extension with us. Kepa I believe will be in the region of £100k/week - so considerably less. Now it's aobviously a lot of guesswork here, but I think it's safe to assume that Kepa will be on a lot less than Courtois. 

Sir   

Ok so a bit of a rant.. personally, I’m absolutely gutted he’s left. He’s a world class goalkeeper, a real talent and it’s just so disappointing. We as a club try to scout the best talents (let’s not mention KDB or Salah here) find them, and then keep them at the club. So we find Thibaut, try and ‘nurture?’ him and his talents in Madrid (which we did, and now I don’t know how good an idea that was) so he gets settled there, comes back to his parent club where ‘logically’ he ‘should’ stay for years and years and years, yet basically he wants to piss off back to where we loaned him which is our own downfall?! Or am I reading it wrong? Was the family situation completely legitimate or.... I don’t get the family thing, you’re a professional footballer, you was on loan in Madrid, he must of known he would go and live in London. Why not bring them to London? Not exactly going from Madrid to a random place in Peru exactly. I mean sure Real Madrid is Real Madrid, but clearly the club would of offered him an insanely good contract I imagine. Assuming the family issue is true, but if not, why would he want to leave here exactly? It’s also up to him get us in the CL and to make sure we stay there. Sure the club is often a mess, but so is Real Madrid! 

Again, so disappointed in Courtois. Sure this was the ‘best’ option if he wasn’t going to sign, but to lose a keeper of that age and that talent given he’s been a Chelsea player since 2011 as well is really quite gutting. Real Madrid got a complete bargain.