• Current Donation Goals

AnniHilat0R

Thibaut Courtois Departs

paulw66   
14 minutes ago, Sir said:

Ok so a bit of a rant.. personally, I’m absolutely gutted he’s left. He’s a world class goalkeeper, a real talent and it’s just so disappointing. We as a club try to scout the best talents (let’s not mention KDB or Salah here) find them, and then keep them at the club. So we find Thibaut, try and ‘nurture?’ him and his talents in Madrid (which we did, and now I don’t know how good an idea that was) so he gets settled there, comes back to his parent club where ‘logically’ he ‘should’ stay for years and years and years, yet basically he wants to piss off back to where we loaned him which is our own downfall?! Or am I reading it wrong? Was the family situation completely legitimate or.... I don’t get the family thing, you’re a professional footballer, you was on loan in Madrid, he must of known he would go and live in London. Why not bring them to London? Not exactly going from Madrid to a random place in Peru exactly. I mean sure Real Madrid is Real Madrid, but clearly the club would of offered him an insanely good contract I imagine. Assuming the family issue is true, but if not, why would he want to leave here exactly? It’s also up to him get us in the CL and to make sure we stay there. Sure the club is often a mess, but so is Real Madrid! 

Again, so disappointed in Courtois. Sure this was the ‘best’ option if he wasn’t going to sign, but to lose a keeper of that age and that talent given he’s been a Chelsea player since 2011 as well is really quite gutting. Real Madrid got a complete bargain.

He and the mother of his children broke up, so she stayed in Madrid. 

If he had moved to London with them, and they stayed together then maybe it would be different. 

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

How this is all going down with the Atletico faithful? Always had the sense that they felt they had a certain kinship with Courtois. 

I saw something on social media and lets put it this way , it made my snipes at him look mild in comparison , they weren't happy before he was pictured kissing the Madrid badge , heaven help him now !

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He and the mother of his children broke up, so she stayed in Madrid. 

If he had moved to London with them, and they stayed together then maybe it would be different. 

I thought the split was Sept 2016, (and 2nd child was April 2017)  so presumably they did all move to London together.

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I thought the split was Sept 2016, (and 2nd child was April 2017)  so presumably they did all move to London together.

Either way........the split didn't help, as the ex lives in Madrid with their children. I find it baffling that people can't seem to understand how much of a wrench that would be for any father. 

You can talk about money, loyalty, whatever.......when it comes to regular access to your children, that all goes out of the window.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I find it baffling that people can't seem to understand how much of a wrench that would be for any father. 

I think people can. Lots just don't believe that was the big driver here.

I've not ever been very critical of Courtois, in terms of his form or conduct, but even I doubt his kids played that much of a part in his will to join Real Madrid. He wanted to playing for one of the biggest two or three clubs in the world, winning Champion's Leagues and being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week. If his kids were the biggest factor, he would not have said some of the things he's said and the move would not be happening now.

In fact, the only thing I'd be critical of him for is the statement where he talks about his kids. He did not leave Chelsea reluctantly to be near them. He left without obvious wrench because he wanted to play for a different club. 

Edited by thevelourfog

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I think people can. Lots just don't believe that was the big driver here.

I've not ever been very critical of Courtois, in terms of his form or conduct, but even I doubt his kids played that much of a part in his will to join Real Madrid. He wanted to playing for one of the biggest two or three clubs in the world, winning Champion's Leagues and being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week. If his kids were the biggest factor, he would not have said some of the things he's said and the move would not be happening now.

In fact, the only thing I'd be critical of him for is the statement where he talks about his kids. He did not leave Chelsea reluctantly to be near them. He left without obvious wrench because he wanted to play for a different club. 

Bolded bit is pure guess work. 

Truth is, now he gets to be near his children AND play for one of, if not the biggest club in world football. Absolutely win-win for him, and I imagine 99.99% of people in his position would have done the same. In fact, you'd be lying otherwise

So I guess we can count this as another success of Emenalo's loan army then?! Nice little profit we're making...

Just now, paulw66 said:

Truth is, now he gets to be near his children AND play for one of, if not the biggest club in world football. Absolutely win-win for him, and I imagine 99.99% of people in his position would have done the same. In fact, you'd be lying otherwise

Well, yes and no ... Yes because obviously we cannot ever 100% know, no because of the rest of what I said in my post. We are talking about someone who was himself talking about happily signing a new deal not that long ago. 

I agree most would do what he has done, I more or less would have done. Just also feel there's something a little cynical about how involved his made his family in the move (mentioning them in his statement, being photographed with them by Real at his unveiling) when I wouldn't personally have an issue with what I think is the plainer truth'; he wanted to play for Real Madrid.

30 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I really doubt it has anything to do with the kids.
If he has a good relationship with his ex, she would just bring them over one week a month.
If it is a bad relationship a court would rule something similar (and the ex might well move away from Madrid).