• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

altiuslaura

Fundraising To Send Poorly Daniel To Meet Torres

Hi all,

I'm hoping some of you would like to help me.

The company I work for (we're a business transfer agent called Bruce & Co) are raising money for a children's charity called Rays of Sunshine. The charity grant special 'wishes' for seriously ill children.

We've decided to raise money for a little boy called Daniel. He's only 8 and suffers from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, which is a fatal muscle wasting disease that affects 1 in every 3,500 male children. Daniel's condition has now deteriorated so much that he can't walk without a wheelchair, and there is no cure.

Although Daniel's condition means he has a short life expectancy he wants to be a football commentator when he grows up. He loves football and his favourite footballer is Torres. Last year Daniel wrote to Torres to tell him about his condition and Liverpool arranged for Daniel to meet him, but sadly Torres was transferred to Chelsea the day before the meeting and it was never re-arranged. Daniel then wrote to the charity Rays of Sunshine to ask them to grant his 'wish' to see Chelsea play and meet Torres.

Daniel's wish costs £1,250, and the company I work for are trying to raise the money. If we can raise the money Daniel and his family will travel from their home in Edinburgh where Daniel will spend the day having a tour of Stamford Bridge, watch a match and meet Torres.

We've set up a Just Giving account and are asking for donations wherever we can think of, as well as doing lots of fundraisers at our office. The Just Giving link is here: http://www.justgiving.com/BruceCo-Raysofsunshine

Obviously if anyone would like to donate that would be fantastic, but I do understand lots of people won't be able to. However, if you could help us promote our fundraising I would be incredibly grateful- on Twitter or Facebook or anything else you can think of.

If you got this far then thank you for taking the time to read this. And thank you if you're willing to help. If you would like any more information there's an article here: http://bruceandco.tumblr.com/post/9912926786/bruce-co-raise-money-so-daniel-can-meet-his or our company website is http://www.bruceandco.co.uk

Thank you again,

Laura x

Sir   

"Last year Daniel wrote to Torres to tell him about his condition and Liverpool arranged for Daniel to meet him, but sadly Torres was transferred to Chelsea the day before the meeting and it was never re-arranged."

Have you not spoken to Chelsea/Liverpool directly about this?

Obviously I hope it all works out well and you get the money you need. But perhaps you should speak to the clubs? Surely if it was arranged to happen, and you explain that Torres moved, then I'm sure the club/clubs would do everything to re-arrange it?

You're probably right, but we aren't actually the charity who has organised the wish (sorry if I wasn't very clear). We're fundraising for a charity called Rays of Sunshine (https://www.raysofsunshine.org.uk/) - Children write to them with their 'wishes' and if the wishes are approved Rays of Sunshine organise the wishes then invite people to raise the money to grant them. We chose to raise the money to grant Daniel's wish, but I don't actually have anything to do with the organisation, just the fundraising.

I think Rays of Sunshine will have contacted Chelsea (if not both teams) to organise the day in the first place, although I couldn't say for sure. It's slightly different this time though - last time Daniel was invited to Liverpool but no costs were covered and it was just to meet Torres. This time round if we can raise the money his transport and a hotel in London will be paid for for him and his family, he gets to spend the day at Stamford Bridge and will get to go to a match and meet the players.

I've just emailed the club about this and I'd encourage other people to do so. There's no reason (with the greatest respect to you altiuslaura, I've got a lot of time for people in the charity and volunteer sectors) that people or an organisation should need to raise money for something like this. A grand or so is peanuts to the club and is the sort of good will gesture they should be willing to make off their own back. Good luck!

Harvz   

I'm going to write too. Hopefully a few more emails will help bring attention to this. No reason why they shouldn't fund this kind of thing. I'm sure they have a budget for it anyway.

Go to the 'contact us' part of the official website, there's a 'charity' option in the drop down box.

Thanks - will do. Like you said that's a drop in the bucket for the club. I remember there was a young boy who visited LFC and when Torres saw him he gave him one of his WC shirts and signed it "to my friend..." Hope the visit/day can happen for Daniel.