• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richard

Petr Cech: Official - A Legend Departs.

richard   

I read in the Independent this morning that Cech has been quoted as saying he's not coming to London to play second fiddle to "any of them" (I.e. Chelsea's other keepers). However, Carlo has different ideas...

Here's a quote from the paper:

Cudicini has known since January, when the Cech deal was completed, that he would have a job on his hands holding on to the jersey when the new season gets under way in just over a month. But if the Italian, who has become a cult figure among Chelsea fans, feels in any way resentful, he certainly avoids showing it.

"He's a good keeper with a bright future. But I haven't got a problem because the club has to look forward. In that respect, I honestly think they've done the right thing."

That does not mean however that the Italian will be prepared to sit on the bench for large parts of the season.

"No one wants that, but I'm used to the competition. The first season I was here, it was like that with Ed De Goey. Then I had it with Mark Bosnich. It's useless to think about what might happen now. I'm just paid to play. What's important is that I'm ready to fight for the position and show the manager my qualities on the pitch."

The paper goes on to say; surely RA has not spent £8.5m on a new keeper merely for him to play a peripheral role. Cudicini by contrast cost a mere £160,000 five years ago. But his response to the comparison is forthright. "Money doesn't automatically mean you're playing. Someone can cost £8m, £9m, or £10m but that doesn't necessarily guarantee a place. This really doesn't bother me. The challenge is on the pitch not in the contract."

Good for Carlo, A warm welcome for Cech but at the same time he's not giving up his place that easily. Can't wait to see the first XI.

Who would you like to see between the sticks?

You also have to remember that should Carlo be sold now, his price would surely eclipse that of Cech. I am sure Man U would want to have him as the true replacement to Schmeichel.

Its a good problem to have and hey we have enough games to play to keep everyone happy, less prone to injury and fresh especially if the squad is going to continue being trimmed down like that.

We are in a situation where injury is not a big problem. Even last season some injuries hurt Chelsea a lot most crucially is that of Cudicini and Duff. But this season, the squad seems a lot more balanced without having to rely on any single player too heavily.

ben25   

Carlo has earnt the right to start as no1 and then it should be taken from there.

Mourinho will pick the keeper he thinks will do the best job... I'd hate to be the one to choose betwen Cudicini and Cech... we know how good Carlo is (not withstanding the odd moment of madness, like against Arsenal), but Cech is considered the best young keeper in the world.

Whoever starts the season in goal we know that we have great back-up!

Eagle   

Personally I would play Cech as No.1 keeper. Cudicini has been a great servant for the club, but he has made mistakes which have cost us greatly in the past (Arsenal and Man Utd away last season alone). Obviously all keepers make mistakes but Carlo seems to make them at the worst times against the bigger teams.

Cech seems to be an excellent keeper and I dont see the logic in paying 9 million for a keeper who is going to be back up. Cech himself will not want to be on the bench every week,especially as he has just played in the semi finals of the European Championships and has also been named as one of the keepers of the tournament.

Personally I would cash in on Cudicini(4 or 5 million) and play Cech.

got to be Carlo, I don't care experience, he's simply the better Keeper, and it might sound out there, he one of the best 3 keepers in the World

They will both try for the spot and JM will chose. I doubt either one will be sitting on the bench very much. I dont think one is much better than the other, so both will get playing time. Although it will be interesting to see who JM's #1 pick is.

Atr   

I think Cech played well in Euro'04, but Carlo will be first choice at the start of next season.

It's worth taking into account that JM has said Cech's still young and has potential, but isn't yet a great keeper (or something along those lines) which hints at the fact he will most likely be choosing Carlo as his N.1

I know Cech has said he hasn't come to sit on the bench but I see this purchase as one which :

- firstly means we have a good N.2 keeper in the case of injuries (therefore no problems like last yr, even if we were lucky);

- and secondly (perhaps more importantly) to ensure that when Carlo either hangs up his boots or moves on because he is too old (he's 31 now I think) we already have an excellent replacement. I already said it once, but remember the problems Man Utd and Arsenal had replacing their legend keepers with Tiabi and Lehmann :)

basole   

With all due respect for Cech's abilities, I would play Carlo any day. He made some mistakes last season, but remains a top goalkeeper. I'm sure Carlo is only "unlucky" to come from a nation that boasts some of the top goalkeepers in the world. Going by last season perfomance, Carlo deserved to make the italian squad ahead of Peruzzi. To me the other thing working against Cech is his inability to move off the line, and I believe Van Nisterooy's goal (cross from Robben) against him was a warning of what to expect in the premiership, which has goalpoachers like Shearer.