• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul1970

Connecting Pc To Tv

Paul1970   

Happy new year everyone......I want to watch films on my tv screen from my computer,I`ve bought the leads,the s-video and audio leads and nothing,....my tv is not a flat screen,just an ordinary one......OK....GO!!!!

Happy new year everyone......I want to watch films on my tv screen from my computer,I`ve bought the leads,the s-video and audio leads and nothing,....my tv is not a flat screen,just an ordinary one......OK....GO!!!!

If you have an HDMI connection on both - its easy (I think - I haven't tried myself).

If one or both is older (my case) the simple solution is to get a new but v cheap dvd player - with a USB slot.

Mine cost me £18 (though I need to change it today to get a new remote).

For £27 I could have got one with an HDMI output - ready for my next TV.

load film onto USB (or save as file onto a disk) and play normally with USB drive plugged into DVD player.

This is simple and beats messing about with cables.

You want a new, cheap, nasty DVD player that works with a lot of modern file formats - and throw away the expensive old good looking one you bought for £300 some years ago.

BUT - only certain formats will work - including most that you are likely to acquire on the internet.

Make sure MP4 is included as a usable format (it should be).

FLV (you tube format), MKV and WMV files probably won't work.

I'm told that converting MKV to a usable format is easy - but I have never tried (can anyone confirm that?).

An S-video to s-video cable might work. VGA to s-video adapters do not work - I have tried and they are invariably s-Video to VGA converters that don't work in reverse.

Then go and subscribe to Maxxed and watch all the matches 5 or 6 hours later.

bornblue   

With my PC I went HDMI to HDMI, but you have to go into the display preferences and expand your monitor to a dual-monitor set-up.

You could always something like this and connect up via usb...

Media player

You can link that one up using loads of different connections.

Sciatika   

Since the TV is old, you are probably limited by the kinds of signals it will accept rather than the kind of signals the PC can generate. So, what kind of inputs do you have on the TV? You need something on the PC that matches soemthing that the TV can accept (S-Video, SCART/TTL, HDMI, whatever). If you don't have something that matches, then you are into buying some sort of intermediate hardware to act as an interface between the two. To some degree, the hardware you need will depend on what you are trying to do. For instance, if you simply want to use the PC as a DVD player, it may be simpler (and cheaper) to buy a DVD player that you can plug into the TV and not bother with the PC. Equally, if you are trying to stream internet content to the TV then you probably need the PC connected directly all the time and is a very different problem. Sorry to be unhelpful with all these questions.

rj2115   

HP pavilion...does that help?

I mean what are the specs

do you want to play hd movies then you need a video card which is not very expensive and you want to have surround sound as well?

I assume you have an old CRT TV.

if so:

Buy a new telly and a new PC !

Apple TV may be a possibility but again best with a new tv/pc combo

What ports does your old TV have? I'm sure there are no HDMI outs.

Also what ports does your laptop/computer have? There are some computers that have "TV out" on the computer so check for that. But yea I need to know what ports you have in order to know if its possible or not.