Blue_Fever

Eden Hazard

6,283 posts in this topic

The recent article on the Guardian regarding Neymar's transfer is quite revealing in regards to our pursuit of him, and I think could play a part in our handling of Hazard. The relevant passages are as follows:

''For Sonda and his investment advisers, the focus was on continuing to cultivate a relationship with Neymar’s father and trying, with his consent, to secure a big profit by promoting the idea of transferring Neymar. Trips to Europe became commonplace. Carlezzo says a Sonda executive told him of a meeting between Neymar Sr and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich in London.

In August 2010 Neymar made his debut for Brazil in a friendly against the USA. On the same day, Chelsea made an offer to sign him. “We had a meeting in the Hilton Hotel on Lexington Avenue” in New York, Motta said. Seated in the lobby were Neymar’s father, Ribeiro, Pini Zahavi, the Israeli dealmaker who knew Abramovich, a delegation from Chelsea and Luis Álvaro de Oliveira Ribeiro, the newly elected Santos president. Luis Álvaro ended the conversation quickly. He rejected the €35m being offered by the Premier League team. While he tried to appear calm, he was spooked by Chelsea’s push to sign Neymar immediately.''

''Still, Real Madrid felt they were making progress with Neymar’s father. Motta even drew up a contract between the club and Neymar. Abramovich had not given up wooing Neymar either. Michael Emenalo, Chelsea’s director of football, flew to Santos to try again. He met Neymar and proceeded to deliver one of the best sales pitches Motta had ever heard. “It was the very first time that I saw Neymar’s father listen to someone for more than 30 minutes without looking at his mobile,” Motta said.

Emenalo told the story of the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan. How Chicago was not a big team, but together they evolved into international icons. Neymar could become Chelsea’s Michael Jordan, Emenalo said. José Mourinho was about to return to the club as manager and he wants to sign you, the Nigerian added. “You are going to lead Chelsea to the top.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/30/neymar-brazil-barcelona-santos-transfer

Certainly an interesting and revealing anecdote of how we try to woo targets. I think it's relevant because IMO Hazard is now the Neymar of our team. He's the global icon and in many ways the face of the team. There's no way we're going to willingly let him go. 

On 3/29/2017 at 6:13 PM, paulw66 said:

You think Hazard saying "I am staying" will squash the rumours? Ok.........

Let's see if there are any more Neymar rumours this summer. I expect there might be. 

Are you saying that what the player says holds no weight? Coming out and say it like it is lets everyone knows his intentions. Right now nobody knows or should we say we know for a bit that Hazard has a bit of intention to Real because of the silence. About what you said regarding rumors, who cares about rumors if we already have clear words spoken by the player himself? Do you think anyone realistic will be bothered by Neymar rumors now that he has come out and stated his intentions?

Also to add how fast things changed. Last season quite a few people here wouldnt mind him leaving for Real. Last season was the easiest for him to leave us because quite a number of fans doesnt seem to think he is worth all that weight. 

Purely for the sake of interest, would people be okay with Hazard going to Real Madrid if it meant we got Neymar?  

Totally hypothetical because I don't think either will happen, just interested to see who people rate higher...

Would be absolutely gutted and genuinely surprised if we sold this guy. I honestly don't see it happening this summer especially with the more likely departure of Costa. No way would the club allow two of their top three players to leave in one summer and we have never been bullied in the transfer market.

I posted recently talking about the difficulty we had signing players last summer since the market has gone crazy. Clubs such as Napoli and Roma turning down 50million bids for players such as Koulibaly who has had 1 proper season and Nainggolan who is 28. What use is a world record fee if you can't spend the money on world class players?

Hazard is totally irreplaceable and probably un-buyable. Real were absolutely desperate to sign Pogba last summer but pulled out when the price reached £100million. How much would it cost to buy Hazard from one of the richest clubs in the world, £120million? No thanks I would rather keep the world class player. I think the club and Roman know exactly how good this guy is and I expect a massive new contract is currently on the table.

We all know he is on par with any player on the planet ability wise and the only thing lacking is perhaps the insane, unrelenting drive of a Messi or Ronaldo. Looking at the competition for places at Real I am not sure Hazard is really the character put himself in a heated battle just to play in his position. Isco and James both struggle for game time and they are both great players. I seem to recall he spoke about how one of the reasons he signed for Chelsea in the first place was an absolute guarantee of game time. As long as he stay here he will be our focal attacking point and under the current manager he barely even has to track back.

Realistically he may eventually head to Madrid in a year or two and I think he will want to wait until Ronaldo and Benzema start to slow down. If there is a clear space for him to play then that maybe the time to go and it would be a crying shame if he left without ever really producing his jaw dropping form in the Champions League. Win the CL next season and you can leave in peace Eden ;).

Edited by samhoward17

On 4/1/2017 at 7:05 PM, Rob B said:

Purely for the sake of interest, would people be okay with Hazard going to Real Madrid if it meant we got Neymar?  

Totally hypothetical because I don't think either will happen, just interested to see who people rate higher...

I think I'd like to keep Hazard over getting Neymar. Not sure how the latter would fair with the physical aspect. Which is what makes Hazard so impressive for me. A technical player but one that is tough. A good kicking doesn't stop him. The flip side is that Neymar is more of a goal scorer and threat in that final third. Probably the one area Hazard really needs to step up. Needs to shoot more around that 20 yard range or so, rather than trying to dribble or pass through a tight space. 

I'm not keen on the potential possibility of Neymar coming if we need to sell other player to fund this.

Neymar rarely scores the match winners but tends to score when you are already in front.

Neymar would become like the ghosts of Torres and Shevchenko, IMO.

56 minutes ago, Nicholas Anelka said:

Would swap Hazard for Neymar every day of the week. 

Not for me.