• Current Donation Goals

24 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Don't forget that IF we sign a CB, and Azpi is pushed out to the WB as a lot of people speculate will happen, we'll also have Moses as cover.

I think it is in the very nature of having 3 CBs in the team that at least one, if not both, WBs are attacking AMs. I can't see us starting regularly with Azpi and Alonso at WBs. 

Moreover, as much as I have appreciated Moses this season, he is clearly just an adequate WB, and a quite inadequate AM by the standards of Hazard, Willian and Pedro.  I can't remember the last time he beat a man from a standing start with pace or trickery. 

Rob B   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think it is in the very nature of having 3 CBs in the team that at least one, if not both, WBs are attacking AMs. I can't see us starting regularly with Azpi and Alonso at WBs. 

Moreover, as much as I have appreciated Moses this season, he is clearly just an adequate WB, and a quite inadequate AM by the standards of Hazard, Willian and Pedro.  I can't remember the last time he beat a man from a standing start with pace or trickery. 

Oh totally agree with you don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that if push comes to shove, we mustn't forget that technically he is an AM and having been a starter for us all season at WB, he must surely be adequate cover further forward. 

20 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Oh totally agree with you don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that if push comes to shove, we mustn't forget that technically he is an AM and having been a starter for us all season at WB, he must surely be adequate cover further forward. 

Should be, yes.  But nothing I have seen since he joined us suggests he has any kind of cutting edge at all.  solid, reliable, willing, and hard running enough to get on the end of Alonso's crosses again and again.  To be honest as AM I am not sure he is an upgrade on Traore or Kenedy.

Holymoly   

News out of Belgium suggest we're lining up a new contract for Hazard to take him to 2021. That doesn't bode well. Just sounds like a price hike for Madrid.

3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

News out of Belgium suggest we're lining up a new contract for Hazard to take him to 2021. That doesn't bode well. Just sounds like a price hike for Madrid.

I'll take the opposite, more positive view and say it's absolutely great news and will hopefully end any possibility of him leaving any time soon.

4 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I guess keeping on to the stars we have has taken a big chunk out of our transfer budget.

20 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Well that certainly is a very intriguing way of looking at it! :S

Ummm, Hazard seems pretty settled to be honest. And Madrid, rich bastards that they are, can they even afford the sort of fee Hazard would command in todays market?

And lets be honest here... If Neymar is worth 220m euros then.....

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Well that certainly is a very intriguing way of looking at it! :S

Ummm, Hazard seems pretty settled to be honest. And Madrid, rich bastards that they are, can they even afford the sort of fee Hazard would command in todays market?

And lets be honest here... If Neymar is worth 220m euros then.....

Exactly. In a way Neymar's fee has helped us because if Hazard were to go, he would cost an absolute bomb. As you say, I doubt even Madrid could/would blow their entire budget on him. 

Zoowraa   

Did we get a glimpse of the future last night with Hazard in this role ? He certainly seemed to revel in that position and we as a team looked to have a greater attacking threat.

Some definite parallels to what has happened too a similar type of player at Napoli with Dries Mertens.

For most of his career Mertens has been a decent standard wide attacking midfielder, not in the same class as Hazard , but very similar in stature and style of player. Through a combination of injuries to No 9s and the sale of Higuain, he found himself playing as a number 9 and has not stopped scoring since. He has gone from a squad player when he first joined to their main striker scoring 20 goals a season late on in his career.

Ok slight difference that Mertens is playing as a No 9 and Hazard last night was more of a No 10. However, their are some parallels between the two and the role we seen Hazard in last night , could just be the difference between a world class player joining the very elite and establishing himself as a +20 goals a season man.

Thoughts ?

24 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

Did we get a glimpse of the future last night with Hazard in this role ? He certainly seemed to revel in that position and we as a team looked to have a greater attacking threat.

Some definite parallels to what has happened too a similar type of player at Napoli with Dries Mertens.

For most of his career Mertens has been a decent standard wide attacking midfielder, not in the same class as Hazard , but very similar in stature and style of player. Through a combination of injuries to No 9s and the sale of Higuain, he found himself playing as a number 9 and has not stopped scoring since. He has gone from a squad player when he first joined to their main striker scoring 20 goals a season late on in his career.

Ok slight difference that Mertens is playing as a No 9 and Hazard last night was more of a No 10. However, their are some parallels between the two and the role we seen Hazard in last night , could just be the difference between a world class player joining the very elite and establishing himself as a +20 goals a season man.

Thoughts ?

Have always said he should play through the middle. Most argued against it.

The biggest problem we have is it is just not a sustainable formation with our current squad of players. We have 4 cm's, there is no way we can play 3 of them in every game. 

It also leaves Willian and Pedro sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

It's something I'd like to see more of, both Hazard playing centrally and the 352 but the squad is just not built for it.