• Current Donation Goals

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

We already need about 3 new top class players, depending on what formation we'll play - a centre mid, at least one attacking mid and an upgrade at RWB. Plus a couple of loanees fighting for places in midfield and up front.

If we sell Courtois and Hazard we'll be needing to buy at least 5 players - which will be prohibitively expensive and again will take a long time for the team to gel, especially with a short pre-season. 

Yup,

Courtois and Hazard are not the problem why we are 5th.

We need to improve at RWB, CM and we need better depth in forward positions. 

Madness to even think about selling him. Do people not realise whoever we replace him with will be a downgrade?

37 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

OK, so we buy Bakayoko for £40 million and people think one of the top 3/4 keepers in world football is worth less.

I think the point is that if you try to buy Bakayoko  after Monaco have just won their league and sold Mbappe for £128m, and Mendy for £52m and B Silva for £43m, then  you are going to pay through the nose.  (Eur 40mn, not £,I gather.)
City have won our league,  PSG have won theirs, Barca are winning theirs.   The only club with mega bucks to spend is RM.  

Is Courtois one of the top 3 or 4 keepers in the world?   I thought so 2 years ago.  Not so sure now.  I think RM will want to do better.

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

OK, so we buy Bakayoko for £40 million and people think one of the top 3/4 keepers in world football is worth less.

Riiight.

He is worth £50 million for me. 

He's got one year left on his contract , that reduces his value .

Playing like a Belgian Stevie Wonder reduces it again.

This is how it will pan out .

He'll talk about signing his contract to anyone who's listening , he'll say he thinks the close season is the best time to renew , he'll then not want to sign before the World Cup , then he won't want to sign until he knows who the new manager is , then he'll really start stalling , eventually he'll miraculously only have six months left and he'll sign a pre contract with one of the Madrid clubs and we will get nothing for him .

He's only in it for what he can get out of it .

Then we'll sign Joe Shart .

51 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's got one year left on his contract , that reduces his value .

Playing like a Belgian Stevie Wonder reduces it again.

This is how it will pan out .

He'll talk about signing his contract to anyone who's listening , he'll say he thinks the close season is the best time to renew , he'll then not want to sign before the World Cup , then he won't want to sign until he knows who the new manager is , then he'll really start stalling , eventually he'll miraculously only have six months left and he'll sign a pre contract with one of the Madrid clubs and we will get nothing for him .

He's only in it for what he can get out of it .

Then we'll sign Joe Shart .

Pretty sure he's got two years left mate. Same as Hazard.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Pretty sure he's got two years left mate. Same as Hazard.

Wrong. Contract ends summer 2019

xCELERYx   
24 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Wrong. Contract ends summer 2019

Which is the same for a number of other players we have as well; including Fabregas, Cahill and Pedro from the top of my head. 

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Riiight.

As for Hazard, at 27 and two years left on his contract, no need to sell, IMO Chelsea won’t even consider a bid of less than £150 million at today’s prices. And will hold out for more.

Morata cost £70 million, Van Dijk £75 million, Hazard is better than them, and better than Coutinho who is only about 18 months younger.

Anyone offers less than £150 million and he stays.

And remember how tough sellers we are. 

Bild are reporting we won’t take less than £53 million for Bats. Courtois and Hazard are both worth more.

Inflation means we’ll get big money for those two. 

Goalkeepers don't tend to command the same transfer value as other players, up until this past summer Buffon was still the record fee received at around £32.6m. A fee that stood for like 16 years and only bettered by Man City signing Ederson for like a couple of million more. 

There's no way Courtois moves for £50m in the current climate. We'd be extremely lucky if we get around £30-35 million, and that's on a good day. 

5 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Riiight.

As for Hazard, at 27 and two years left on his contract, no need to sell, IMO Chelsea won’t even consider a bid of less than £150 million at today’s prices. And will hold out for more.

Morata cost £70 million, Van Dijk £75 million, Hazard is better than them, and better than Coutinho who is only about 18 months younger.

Anyone offers less than £150 million and he stays.

And remember how tough sellers we are. 

Bild are reporting we won’t take less than £53 million for Bats. Courtois and Hazard are both worth more.

Inflation means we’ll get big money for those two. 

Go on name, the clubs that could pay £150 million for Hazard, Now name the clubs that would

xCELERYx   
11 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Madness to even think about selling him. Do people not realise whoever we replace him with will be a downgrade?

Depends how you want to look at it I suppose. Would we be able to replace him like for like? No, not at all. However, it could also mean being able to sign say two very good players for his position and thus giving us two really good options, opposed to just one excellent one. 

I know we're a club that's been more familiar with signing star players rather than selling them, but selling star players isn't always a negative. With myself also being a Juve fan I've witnessed this exact thing happen on a number of occasions - past and present. Pogba, Vidal and Bonucci being three of the most recent ones for example. And I'm sure it won't be the last time it happens either, I'll not be surprised if someone like Dybala is eventually sold at some point down the line if a situation arises.

The club will survive, the important thing is maximising the transfer fee we can receive and making sure that money is then re-invested smartly into the right sort of players to improve us going forward.

He's 27 and with a contract that runs to 2020 (according to Transfermarkt), at which point he'll be 29. A decision is going to have to be made one way or another, and in the not so distant future. If he wants to stay, great. Commit to the club this summer and squash the constant flirting with Real Madrid. If he doesn't, then we need to be in a position where we can maximise the transfer fee the club can obtain. Allowing him to run his contract down to the final 12 months isn't going to be acceptable, because to lose a player of that value for potentially nothing would have huge repercussions. 

One thing that will happen is that the club will be here regardless if Hazard is or not.