• Current Donation Goals

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Only the squad at the start was a disaster.  Given that everything worked out well.

Well, yes we recovered well given the sparse resources, but we then had some appalling slip-ups against weak teams, (Bournemouth, Watford, Huddersfield),  and I thought that was in part down to some occasional selection mistakes, which in turn lead to a serious rift between the players and Conte.

9 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well, yes we recovered well given the sparse resources, but we then had some appalling slip-ups against weak teams, (Bournemouth, Watford, Huddersfield),  and I thought that was in part down to some occasional selection mistakes, which in turn lead to a serious rift between the players and Conte.

Bournemouth and Watford  - No - we were at the end of the 24 games without a mid-week break - we were understandably knackered.  That we got to 22 games without total collapse deserve praise. That Conte used an ultra defensive strategy to conserve legs was probably wise.

Huddersfield perhaps yes.  And by that stage I think it was clear no one thought we might get 4th except some fans.  
To be fair instead of pointing out 3 defeats against average teams we should have beaten when not playing well or creating many chances, we could be talking about 10 or so wins against average teams when we also played poorly and created few chances.

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Bournemouth and Watford  - No - we were at the end of the 24 games without a mid-week break - we were understandably knackered.  That we got to 22 games without total collapse deserve praise. That Conte used an ultra defensive strategy to conserve legs was probably wise.

Huddersfield perhaps yes.  And by that stage I think it was clear no one thought we might get 4th except some fans.  
To be fair instead of pointing out 3 defeats against average teams we should have beaten when not playing well or creating many chances, we could be talking about 10 or so wins against average teams when we also played poorly and created few chances.

Fatigue no doubt contributed to it, but have a feeling that the rift between players and manager had also set in by then as well. However the Costa fiasco played out, it certainly affected the attitude and morale of the Brazilians.

Anyway, we are where we are now I guess and until or unless  Roman's problem is settled, then it's difficult to speculate at all realistically.

11 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Fatigue no doubt contributed to it, but have a feeling that the rift between players and manager had also set in by then as well. 

Maybe,  but results and player mood are highly correlated.  If we'd have been winning like the year before (or not winning in 16/17) it would have all looked v different.

GURJ SS   

As a fan of Chelsea, we need him right now so we need to keep him; unless we can use the money to bring in two top class attacking players.

Looking at it from the outside, his lack of self motivation and ambition stops him from reaching his full potential, if he starts playing with more urgency then we'll be the ones holding him back; thing is we probably won't get much for him with a shorter contract, so it may be time to cash in.

jones   

I think there are so many exciting prospects in world football at the moment, that Eden is not top priority for the best clubs anymore. Both Griezmann and Icardi have release clauses of around 100m. We are not going to listen to offers less than 150, considering what Coutinho went for. And if you are spending that kind of money, Mbappe and Salah are likely ahead of Eden in the queue. And are there really any other than Real Madrid that will be able to lure him away? 

Think he'll stay.

jones   
2 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Dream On

Thanks for a meaningful contribution to the forum.

On 5/21/2018 at 0:57 PM, xCELERYx said:

The somewhat ironic nature of it all is that Hazard has actually played better and improved his game under Conte, due to the more freedom he's been given in comparison to other managers. He got his highest goal return last season, while he bagged 12 this one despite missing games early in the season and having to be slowly integrated back in. Personally, 343/352 is the better fitting system for the players we have currently and their strengths/weaknesses. Sure, we could be more expansive but it would come at a cost. This allows us to get the best from Alonso, Moses, Fabregas (352), Rudiger, Luiz (when fit) and Hazard because we're allowing their strengths to be the dictating factor. Now, some of the players we have certainly aren't good enough in general and some get by on their reputations alone. At present, the only way we're going to see the sort of freedom and improvement is with an increase of individual quality within the squad. This then allows a manager more freedom to branch out - which can happen under Conte as he did at Juve each season the squad got better. 

This is more wishful thinking than actual truth I feel. 

Eden Hazards best seasons for us was definitely 2013-14 and 2014-15. Last season comes close (2016-17) but ultimatly there are two factors that tips it for me.

1. He contributed much more to our overall game and shape under José than now. Now he is contributing nothing to our shape, plays within himself a bit and scores less. I don't see how anyone can say that Eden Hazard 2016-2018 is better than Eden Hazard 2013-2015.

2. 2016-17 Eden Hazard only had the league to really focus on - hence it should be easier to score a high goals/assist per minute played compared to a season with more games.

13 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

1. He contributed much more to our overall game and shape under José than now. Now he is contributing nothing to our shape, plays within himself a bit and scores less. I don't see how anyone can say that Eden Hazard 2016-2018 is better than Eden Hazard 2013-2015.

This.  And we were stronger defensively when we defended with 3 AMs on half way line than with 3 CBs on the penalty box edge.