• Current Donation Goals

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

he has to be given the tools to do that, though. 

I am not sure Picasso or Rembrandt would have sold as many paintings if they were using Crayola. 

Picasso did indeed use pastels. Not sure what brand though.

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

he has to be given the tools to do that, though. 

Does he? What 'tools' are you referring to?

paulw66   
19 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Does he? What 'tools' are you referring to?

The way we play. Give him some other attackers to play with, who he can either pass to/from, or at the very least, they can occupy opponents defenders and give Eden more space.

When we play 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 whatever you want to call it, when Hazard gets the ball, we generally have 8 players goal side of him, and then only Giroud / Morata in front. His options are: 1. pass the ball backwards. 2. pass the ball to the no.9 or 3. dribble past the opponents entire midfield and defence all by himself

All 3 of these options are made all the harder because the opponents midfield and defence have virtually nobody else to mark of worry about because the rest of our players are not much further forward than the halfway line. 

The obvious direct comparison here is Sterling at City. He is far inferior to Hazard in every way, yet he has bagged 20+ goals this season without taking penalties. When City attack, they attack in numbers, and so each of them are not marked by 3 or 4 players each. 

Newcastle and Swansea away are classic examples.... trying to counter attack with 2 players, one of whom is Giroud who can't run very fast

19 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't like these arguments that go "if we sell Hazard we'd only spend it on more Bakayokos".  We might just as well buy the next Rudiger and next Kante.

I think Liverpool and Spurs are going through an extraordinary good time right now.  It might not last, but I don't think we can match those squad this summer without spending a lot lot more money than they do.  Better look further into the future.

Yes I think your perception of Brand Chelsea is a false one.  We out preformed 3 of the last 5 years.  We are the only club to get 80+ points in 3 of those 5 years.  (us, 3, City 2, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester once).  And we stopped buyng raw talent in 2014.  Since then it has been Kante, Rudiger, Bakayoko, Bats and Morata in 4 years, and only 2 of them were any good.  We have a lot to catch up on.

But you have to admit that if we get 150 mill for Hazard there is no guarantee we can replace it with quality. 

Example: 60 mill for Costa = 70 mill for Morata.

That is just the way the cookie crumbles. I don't like the argument either but it's one that should be pointed out. 

14 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

But you have to admit that if we get 150 mill for Hazard there is no guarantee we can replace it with quality. 

Sure but all purchases are a risk.  And generally our track record on purchases has been superb.

Keeping a player is another risk.  Keeping Hazard for 2 or 3 Europa cup seasons strikes me as a guarantee his game will drop off.

jones   

The spine of the team is Courtois, Azpilicueta, Kanté and Hazard. These are the players we have to build our squad around for the next 2-3 years, at least. I don't think we can afford to lose either of them. 

6 minutes ago, jones said:

The spine of the team is Courtois, Azpilicueta, Kanté and Hazard. These are the players we have to build our squad around for the next 2-3 years, at least. I don't think we can afford to lose either of them. 

I don't think you can include Courtois in the spine of the side , he won't even be here after next season . I expect he's fallen out with Conte and absolutely isn't running his contract down for the money .

23 minutes ago, jones said:

I agree - even if one, two three or four might leave.  I think that explains just how far we have come from being the big title winners we were a season ago.  Then the spine would have been those 4 plus JT, Willian and Costa, and some might say Matic.

But whatever we think, I don't see why any of those 4 (or their agents) would want to be holding this club together for the next 3 years rather than being at a club trying to win stuff.  

jones   
50 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I agree - even if one, two three or four might leave.  I think that explains just how far we have come from being the big title winners we were a season ago.  Then the spine would have been those 4 plus JT, Willian and Costa, and some might say Matic.

But whatever we think, I don't see why any of those 4 (or their agents) would want to be holding this club together for the next 3 years rather than being at a club trying to win stuff.  

Exactly why we need to stop buying Drinkwaters and start buying world class players. 

Great news Eden has committed not to leave this season. If Sarre plays him in a way he enjoys hopefully he will commit further