• Current Donation Goals

22 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I could be wrong, but I think had we bought Kepa in the Jan window we would have got him for about 15 mill, but then he signed a new contract and he cost us 71 mill a few months later. If we had known Courtois was offski in Jan we would be have gone in for Kepa then maybe.

Maybe I imagined it, but if I recall right, Kepa signed a long term contract when RM showed an interest.  Courtois's on off flirting cost us more than we thought.

Bison   

It's quite obvious that Hazard will be leaving in the summer. He's trying to be as respectful as possible but we all know the score.

This is the kind of player you dream about playing for your club and to lose him at the peak of his powers is a massive blow.

I blame the club for their mismanagement and leaving us out of the Champions League two out of the past 3 seasons. You don't keep top players if you can't make the Champions League.

3 hours ago, Bison said:

I blame the club for their mismanagement and leaving us out of the Champions League two out of the past 3 seasons. You don't keep top players if you can't make the Champions League.

yes. The tragic thing about last season is if Conte had gone in January (either sacked or resigned) rather than that death by a thousand cuts, I believed the air would have been cleared of those toxic clouds and we would more than likely have made top four. If that had happened Hazard would have been less twitchy. We are a big club, a huge club and we cannot be waving an FA Cup around as if it saved our season. it aint enough for Chelsea or our big players.

3 hours ago, Bison said:

It's quite obvious that Hazard will be leaving in the summer.

No more obvious than it seemed to me last summer he would be gone.
Actually a lot less obvious if we assume we'll have CL football next season

12 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

The tragic thing about last season is if Conte had gone in January (either sacked or resigned) rather than that death by a thousand cuts,

I don't think I heard anyone calling for Conte to go back in January.  In fact some had only just gotten over the idea that the club might lose this fantastic manager by not giving in to all his demands.  Our first really poor result was Jan 31st and that no surprise given what a long run of 2 games a week we had been on.

paulw66   
13 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I could be wrong, but I think had we bought Kepa in the Jan window we would have got him for about 15 mill, but then he signed a new contract and he cost us 71 mill a few months later. If we had known Courtois was offski in Jan we would be have gone in for Kepa then maybe.

I think you are right. I don't think we knew in January that Courtois was definitely off, but we certainly had wind of it before August. 

paulw66   
12 hours ago, Bison said:

It's quite obvious that Hazard will be leaving in the summer. He's trying to be as respectful as possible but we all know the score.

This is the kind of player you dream about playing for your club and to lose him at the peak of his powers is a massive blow.

If the above is true, why isn't he playing for RM now, when we don't have CL football and they have just sold Ronaldo for £100m?

They way things are going, we will have CL football next season, and if rumour is to be believed, RM would have signed Neymar or Mbappe, both who I believe are higher up their priority list. 

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

No more obvious than it seemed to me last summer he would be gone.
Actually a lot less obvious if we assume we'll have CL football next season

I don't think I heard anyone calling for Conte to go back in January.  In fact some had only just gotten over the idea that the club might lose this fantastic manager by not giving in to all his demands.  Our first really poor result was Jan 31st and that no surprise given what a long run of 2 games a week we had been on.

I don't think it was just me. There was dissatisfaction amongst fans( both of board and Conte), there was calling for sack, there was intense media speculation that he would be sacked, in fact this site was feverish. A very quick scout back through the pages and I found this exchange immediately . In feb after window had closed it got far worse ,in fact you noted in the post below how crazy posting had got on the subject.. But you have always maintained that he was happy and had no gripe with the board, so you have been consistent there (if obviously incorrect).

• CFCnet Member
  •  
  • James Prescott
  • Members_2012
  •  
  • 15,816 posts
  • Team:Chelsea FC

Right now, it looks like Conte will be gone well before the season finishes. He just doesn't want to be here anymore, knows he's going - and the players all know, and have stopped playing for him. Hazard certainly has. It's impacting our results too. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Carlo is in charge before, or just after, Barcelona.

NoblyBobly

• CFCnet Member
  •  
  • NoblyBobly
  • Members_2012
  •  
  • 2,918 posts
  • Team:chelsea

IMO Conte could be one bad result from the sack. How did it come to this?

Droy was my hero

• CFCnet Member
  •  
  • Droy was my hero
  • Members_2012
  •  
  • 24,502 posts
  • Team:CFC
  On 1/14/2018 at 2:04 PM, NoblyBobly said:

IMO Conte could be one bad result from the sack. How did it come to this?

Not now.
Even a non-football board must have worked out he has done wonders to keep the players going so well, and it will be a big struggle from now on.  Especially a non-football board with direct access to the medical staff and hearing the real issues.

But I think we should thank the manager and board for making the outlook so gloomy.  All that success last season was killing CFCnet.  I should think posting has gone up 500% in the last month.

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don't think it was just me. There was dissatisfaction amongst fans( both of board and Conte), there was calling for sack, there was intense media speculation that he would be sacked, in fact this site was feverish. A very quick scout back through the pages and I found this exchange immediately . In feb after window had closed it got far worse ,in fact you noted in the post below how crazy posting had got on the subject.. But you have always maintained that he was happy and had no gripe with the board, so you have been consistent there (if obviously incorrect).

•  

Maybe it was a bit more mixed than I recall.
Though the example you give is exactly what I recall - concerns that Conte would be shafted by the board for failing with the squad that he had already been shafted with, plus worry that he would leave (which had started in September).

There were also a lot of cross arguments over:

• whether he had threatened in public to leave that season (he hadn't)
  • whether he was likely to want to leave in 2017 or in 2018 (yes and yes)

On the 1st January we were 2nd in the league and off the back of a 5-0 win so certainly no calls for his head at that point. The second half of the season was a total car crash and it took a while for the majority, including myself, to turn on him. He had just come off a title and at the start of last season I think every fan would demand he got at least the season come what may. 

A lot went wrong last season. An undersized squad was the biggest problem and unfortunately by the end it was clear Conte wanted out. There were a few results towards the end of the season which combined  you just don't come back from.

0-3 at home to Bournemouth. 

4-1 to Watford and fortunate to get a consolation.

1-3 at home to Spurs and losing a 30 year unbeaten record - This was particularly disappointing as after a very good first half we rolled over. 

1-1 at home to Huddersfield when a win kept our CL hopes alive. 

1-0 away to City. This game was less about the result and more about the set up. The team were clearly instructed to sit deep and not even attempt to attack. I can accept this was perhaps needed to start as without Kante we would always struggle however once we were losing and in desperate need for a win, let alone a draw, we completely folded. Hazard playing as a centre forward with long balls hoofed up to his head. Giroud and Morata both on the bench and neither coming on until the 80th minute when we conceded in the 46th. For me this was the moment Conte was gone. 

There were some good moments of course. The way he went for the Barca game was admirable and with better finishing and a little luck we would have won that tie. Unfortunately he was too volatile to ever be a long term choice. The way he dealt with the Costa situation was messy and the rumours last summer of his issues with our Brazilian contingent certainly seemed to have substance. Fortunately it looks like we have replaced him with savvy manager who is the right fit for us at this time and actually given him a squad. 

Edited by samhoward17