• Current Donation Goals

43 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

RM have signed Matt Law, too?  Cheeky buggers...........

Nice one that man!

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 9:32 PM, Michael Tucker said:

RM have signed Matt Law, too?  Cheeky buggers...........

Pardon? 'Deadwood'? Wliian? Surely you can't be serious?

Willian's been an excellent player for us. He's actually had a really good season this year.  But he's nearly 31, getting past his peak (especially for a winger), and inconsitent as hell.

He's not a bad player, but come on, he's not exactly world class.

We need to rebuild with young talent for the long term. Not keep ageing wingers who are only going to decline. Playing into your thirties works for midifeilders and defenders at this level, but it's long past time we rebuilt with younger talent who can be here 5-10 years, not 1 or 2 more years.

Sciatika   

"We need to rebuild with young talent for the long term" - To me, the way to do this is to introduce young players gradually into a team based on experience. Otherwise, I think we are throwing them to the wolves. Let's say Hazard does leave and we decide to bring in CHO in his place but also swap out Willian and Pedro. We end up with a very inconsistent front line because young players give energy and inconsistency in equal measure. Equally, I see sense in playing RLC in midfield but not at the same time as replacing Luiz with Christensen, Jorghinho with Ampadu and so on. We would end up with a really youthful team all striving to avoid relegation.

paulw66   
31 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Willian's been an excellent player for us. He's actually had a really good season this year.  But he's nearly 31, getting past his peak (especially for a winger), and inconsitent as hell.

He's not a bad player, but come on, he's not exactly world class.

We need to rebuild with young talent for the long term. Not keep ageing wingers who are only going to decline. Playing into your thirties works for midifeilders and defenders at this level, but it's long past time we rebuilt with younger talent who can be here 5-10 years, not 1 or 2 more years.

The above is a very sensible, hard-to-argue-with analysis of Willian, and our attack in general going forward.

Saying he is "deadwood" is very different. 

Just now, Sciatika said:

"We need to rebuild with young talent for the long term" - To me, the way to do this is to introduce young players gradually into a team based on experience. Otherwise, I think we are throwing them to the wolves. Let's say Hazard does leave and we decide to bring in CHO in his place but also swap out Willian and Pedro. We end up with a very inconsistent front line because young players give energy and inconsistency in equal measure. Equally, I see sense in playing RLC in midfield but not at the same time as replacing Luiz with Christensen, Jorghinho with Ampadu and so on. We would end up with a really youthful team all striving to avoid relegation.

The way to do it is what we have been doing this year. Most won't want to admit it but the manager has done a very good in getting three of our best young players into the first team.

There has been so much bashing of Sarri it seems to go unnoticed that Christensen, Loftus Cheek and CHO are all getting regular game time.

I'm sure some will argue that Conte bought Christensen into the first team but there is a way to do it. Bringing him in because you have fallen out with a senior player and hanging him out to dry by playing him through a horrendous drop in form because you won't bring back said senior player is not the way. Slowly integrating them into the squad, getting minutes here and there and then more and more on merit,  as the season progresses is the way. 

All three should feel like genuine first team players now and it will allow us to do the same next year with one or two others, Abraham, James, Mount etc.

Sarri should be given a huge amount of credit for this, after all it's something we have all wanted for a long time,  unfortunately the man can do no right by some.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

The way to do it is what we have been doing this year. Most won't want to admit it but the manager has done a very good in getting three of our best young players into the first team.

There has been so much bashing of Sarri it seems to go unnoticed that Christensen, Loftus Cheek and CHO are all getting regular game time.

I'm sure some will argue that Conte bought Christensen into the first team but there is a way to do it. Bringing him in because you have fallen out with a senior player and hanging him out to dry by playing him through a horrendous drop in form because you won't bring back said senior player is not the way. Slowly integrating them into the squad, getting minutes here and there and then more and more on merit,  as the season progresses is the way. 

All three should feel like genuine first team players now and it will allow us to do the same next year with one or two others, Abraham, James, Mount etc.

Sarri should be given a huge amount of credit for this, after all it's something we have all wanted for a long time,  unfortunately the man can do no right by some.

Hear hear, I think though that it is and will be a leap of faith for some to accept a drop in results and perhaps league positions before we rise again. I think that despite being Champions twice in the last few seasons we are yo yoing whilst getting the last bit out of the current generation (Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Luiz, Azpi etc). Perhaps a season or two out of contention will bring us back stronger

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Isn't that the way of things.  People make a concerted attack on someone or something using quite ludicrous claims that are easily shown to be nonsense, and then while the person or thing survives and we all move on, the claims still stick around as "facts".

Or there are genuine claims about wrong doing which are countered by massed support for someone or thing, and the claims die a death having been proved "fake" news.

I'm not thinking particularly of football here.

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Isn't that the way of things.  People make a concerted attack on someone or something using quite ludicrous claims that are easily shown to be nonsense, and then while the person or thing survives and we all move on, the claims still stick around as "facts".

Antonio Conte says "hi" .

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Antonio Conte says "hi" .

You'll have to explain yourself - I was his biggest supporter after Zaffo last season.  And one of the first to congratulate him for finally getting it right when he finally got players out of our own box.

10 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

Hear hear, I think though that it is and will be a leap of faith for some to accept a drop in results and perhaps league positions before we rise again. 

Well, some can't accept being 3 points behind 4th, 4 points behind 3rd with a game in hand with only 8/9 games to go and being in the quarter finals of the Europa league in a season where we have a new manager and quite clearly have played some of our young players far, far more than we ever have.

• Like 1