• Current Donation Goals

Blue_Fever

Official: Eden Hazard Departs For Real Madrid

Valid points.....taking out Anelka, Drogba, Ferriera, Malouda and Kalou will make a massive dent in our wage bill.

Doesn't make a difference for FFP though - contracts signed before the implementation date aren't counted, so if we get rid of that lot and sign players on much lower wages then our wage bill for FFP purposes will actually increase.

Crazy, huh?

paulw66   

Doesn't make a difference for FFP though - contracts signed before the implementation date aren't counted, so if we get rid of that lot and sign players on much lower wages then our wage bill for FFP purposes will actually increase.

Crazy, huh?

How can that be right? If that were true, why dont we just sign all of our players under 30 to 6 or 7 year contracts?

How can wages of existing contracts not count towards a P&L?

StevenJ   

it is true, also, contracts signed before the date and renegotiated/extended after the date wont count either:

"contratcs with players undertaken prior to 1 June 2010(for the avoidance of doubt, all renegotiations on contracts undertaken after such date would not be taken into account)."

the key date being 1st June 2010 for cut offs

It makes sense because if Chelsea say they lose 100m instead of breaking even, but can show that 101m comes from pre June 2010 contracts then they are ok, because,at the end of the day, prior to that date the rules weren't known so it's unfair to use them.

Anyone signed after the date have to break even, but I do think we will see a lot longer contracts being signed, because the overall cost can be split between the length of the contract. to give you Torres's example:

"Fernando Torres’ £50m January switch from Liverpool to Chelsea would not show up as one lump sum in Chelsea’s 2010-11 accounts – instead it would be an annual amortisation of £9m (£50m fee divided by the 5.5 years of his contract). Add in an estimated salary of £8m and the total cost of Torres, as far as Uefa’s accountants are concerned, is £17m per year."

so really clubs could/should sign players on crazy contracts, like 10 years long, but with many clauses to effectively negate the unusual length, then it would only go down as a tiny amount in the figures.

Edited by StevenJ

now if hazard costs 40million for a 4 year contract thats straight up 10million a year before wages, let say on very good wages and he costs maybe 15million a year. if chelsea get rid of anelka, Drogba and malouda off the wage bill that would open up close to that amount straight away. chelsea essentially break even in terms of spending, they dont reduce but they dont increase. now thats assuming hazard would be paid 100k a week with buyout clause. most likely he would come to slightly less in terms of overall cost, you also have player sales and the fact that bonus's for 1 player would be substantially less then for 3 and chelsea might actually spend less money. add to it the whole fact that he is a big flair player and can improve chelsea's image alongside mata and other more speedy attacking players.

Well, if he can't get more scoring - and assist bonus fees (for this season) then those players combined I say we find someone else.

Most likely it's false. So, take it with a pinch of salt.

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/transfer-gossip/2012/1/19/blues-close-to-agreeing-hazard-first-option.html

Chelsea are believed to be in talks with Lille this week about having the option of first refusal on star winger Eden Hazard.

The Belgium international is a wanted man around Europe but has now stated that he wishes to stay with Lille until the end of the season and then make the move to a major European club in the summer.

This has led to Blues chiefs trying to engineer a deal that will see them having a choice of whether to sign the youngster before any of their rivals.

Chelsea are happy with the possible situation because of the fact that Hazard is cup-tied from the Champions League this season due to his Lille exploits and if bought in the summer they will have more time to generate funds for the deal, with the impending exits of Florent Malouda and Soloman Kalou.

It was revealed yesterday that a fee around the region of £35 million will be enough to sign the 21 year-old.

I'm astounded anyone would say that Jovetic is second rate. If I knew he wouldn't get his knees smashed in and have his career ruined, I'm not sure I could pick Hazard over Jovetic given the choice. The Belgian's agility is perhaps what is most impressive but the Montenegrin has a ridiculous amount to offer as well.

Taking people like Robben, Silva, Mata etc as first rate but not necessarily all world class I think second rate is a fair description of what I've seen from Jovetic since he went to Firenze. Maybe my opinion is cloured by the fact my sporting days were curtailed by a third Knee issue following two cruciate and one medial tear(I was lucky enough to be treated by the very best on my first or I doubt I'd have even run again)and I think having such a severe one at Jojo's age means he's odds on to have more issues with his knees and never reach anything luiek the early promise he had suggested he would.Idon't, even, feel he's quite the player now he used to be and he's either feeling thwe knee still or is still thining full time about it going again. Either way he seems to pull out more than he used to and take the safe, dull, tempo slowing choice more than he used to and it makes him wayb less effective and even on his god days I just don't think he shows the same talent as Hazard in any way. I'm not saying second rater as in terrible but more in relation to the strata of playhers possibly being signed by Chelsea and I put him in a league below the Hazard's and Gotzess of this World and by a pretty big distance.

Perhaps my feeling that his kind of player will make those knees go time and again if there's a weakness or, as I feel is already happening with him, he just won't be the kind of player everyone thought, once, that he could be. He's a shadow of his former self to me and hasn't been that good to my eyes this season either-I just don't see the fuss on this one and don't, also, see him staying very versatile either. The other rreason I'm not biting is that he just extended and Fiorentina will want £25mill at least and if Hazard's £33million I think he's better value. Naturally, Chelsea will probably not even try for either and really dsappoint me by buying DeBruyne who, imho, doesn't have a clue where he will end up playing just yet. he isn't quick or silky enough to play as a LW/Wide forward for me and isn't a player with the vision, yet, to play inside either though maybe that'a where he will end up. Point is I can't see the point in getting a marquee signing in January unless we'd have to pay the same in Summer and if Hazard HAS that release I also feel now is out only chance to get the boy and if we don't go in the 8million for KDB might be something we go for but, again, he won't even make the side yet, imo, so maybe he's be yet another one signed for the future but if we treat many like we do Bertrand(seriously, am I alone in thinking we'd be better off playing Ryan for two games to get Ashley a rest after Ash's last few, very tired looking games?)I doubt that wisdom too.

Thing is I'm confused by our signing policy and supposed wage reduction therapy because there's little consistency: Cahill? Did we buy him purely because he was cheap ffor an Englishman because the wages seem silly? Did we not loan Lukaku purely because he didn't want to go? Wjhat of the many kids we buy and loan out right away? When the team needs turning round right now it just seems we're too focussed on everything but the actual workaday problems the team has and don't deal with them and because of this I'm left with the feeling we aren't sticking to a plan, don't know how to negotiate wages with players in any sort of structure(if Cahill gets more than Mata etc)and seem hell bent on annoying the players we do need for the future(Danny this week and who knows with Cahill's wages)already here. then with DD supposedly leaving right about now I wonder again just how we see this season through short of quality and with players like Flo wanting more playing time while clearly not playinbg to the teams strengths-won't use Torres even when he's the only option at times. So, I've a general level of concern about the thinking behind the rebuild. I don't want AVB out but fail to see where we as a club got our belief from that he could rebuild our squad when he never did it anywhere before and rebuilding this squad at this club is, imho, the toughest rebuild in football history. When has anyone, ever, had to break up, so close together, the players responsible for the total bulk of a club's success? never, and the job is so tough I'd feel a lot better if we could see at least a little of where we're headed but right now the leaked targets make little cohgesive sense and because Hazard actually did fit on so many levels I feel I might have been a little too much behind the move.

I never EXPECTED it, mind, and I'm easily capable of being wrong about Jovetic(I used to really think he's be something but he just doesn't have it for me right now)too but the kind of rumours we hear every week about who we may be after worry me and I'll be a lot more concerned if we let DD go with Alex and Nico because we are already very short on quality this season, have unhappy campers and AVB won't allow the youth to fill in even when, in Ash's case and Meireles case(different reasons for my concerns over them)they seem to need a short spell either out of the team or resting. Hazard, I think, is the closest thing we'd get to a short term one man fix because he opens up a lot of options and we actualy stand to profit from him if he craves Real in the future and I think his game is more Prem ready than Jojo's anyway. To me he's be a sign that we're in for big signings when they make sense which would help bring other players of quality into the club while buying kids and not playing them simply doesn't. Hope that explains why I may be a bit too p[ro Hazard(I know he can be inconsistent himself)and down on Jovetic. I don't think Jo is crap or anything and could have made myself clearer. I'd be wary of CA from OM too because of knee issues.

vademooo   

it is true, also, contracts signed before the date and renegotiated/extended after the date wont count either:

"contratcs with players undertaken prior to 1 June 2010(for the avoidance of doubt, all renegotiations on contracts undertaken after such date would not be taken into account)."

the key date being 1st June 2010 for cut offs

It makes sense because if Chelsea say they lose 100m instead of breaking even, but can show that 101m comes from pre June 2010 contracts then they are ok, because,at the end of the day, prior to that date the rules weren't known so it's unfair to use them.

Anyone signed after the date have to break even, but I do think we will see a lot longer contracts being signed, because the overall cost can be split between the length of the contract. to give you Torres's example:

"Fernando Torres’ £50m January switch from Liverpool to Chelsea would not show up as one lump sum in Chelsea’s 2010-11 accounts – instead it would be an annual amortisation of £9m (£50m fee divided by the 5.5 years of his contract). Add in an estimated salary of £8m and the total cost of Torres, as far as Uefa’s accountants are concerned, is £17m per year."

so really clubs could/should sign players on crazy contracts, like 10 years long, but with many clauses to effectively negate the unusual length, then it would only go down as a tiny amount in the figures.

Great info!!!!!!! Thanks a lot mate!

Yep, repeat after me - "Mata and Danny are the template", "Mata and Danny are the template !!!!!!!!

Aaand, according to the reports this week Danny is sick of playing RW already and won't resign with us unless he gets more time at CF! I worrry that players like DS and Mata might also see Cahill's alleged wages and want to know exactly why a clogger from Bolton is worth more to the club than our best two players this season, creative, goalscoring players at that. We just don't seem to be keeping our impirtant players happy OR our outgoing legends and I worry where it all might leave us. We could look light and troubled after this window closes as I'm hearing DD wants out ASAP, Lamps refuses to alter his game to fit the tactics and isn't capable of offering what he used to alongside the goals(like passing through balls to Torres. He fails to even try as he knows it would be a step toward him no longer being a focal point for us going forward. Sticking with just the goal scoring runs()he can't get back AND create as well these days)is a selfsih way to ensure he gets sidelined into being our plan B imho)and Malouda just wants to play more AND 0nly play either with DD or AGAINST torres too. there's a civil war on the pitch within our team centred around the Torres and Didier competition and while the French speakers support one and the Latin/Lucophones support the other we're split and AVB cannot move onwards.

I just think it's a toough job made tougher by our club's attitude AND our players and if we don't get a little more sorted out now the teething issues will run and run. Not that I want wholesale changes in January but we need more than we're getting in s I reckon DD could easily walk, Malouda's not got his heart in it and Frank is playing for himself while AVB rrefusing to use Ryan to allow Ash a rest is killing our great LB and huting Bertrand and the team moving on. If Ryan WAs used like this he's also be a way of making other good youngsters feel they have a real chance of impressing while at Chelsea and we need that too. I'm frustrated that nobody seems to be pulling in the same damn direction and that, imo, is reflecting in the disjointed and half hearted displays of the side right now.

vademooo   

So, I've a general level of concern about the thinking behind the rebuild. I don't want AVB out but fail to see where we as a club got our belief from that he could rebuild our squad when he never did it anywhere before and rebuilding this squad at this club is, imho, the toughest rebuild in football history. When has anyone, ever, had to break up, so close together, the players responsible for the total bulk of a club's success? never, and the job is so tough I'd feel a lot better if we could see at least a little of where we're headed but right now the leaked targets make little cohgesive sense and because Hazard actually did fit on so many levels I feel I might have been a little too much behind the move.

I mostly agree with you. I really want Boas to stay and rebuild Chelsea. I think it will be a little painful but end of the way he will be very successful. We have to be patient!!!!!!!! On the other hand, I think we should give chance to our home grown kids. We plan to buy Hazard without giving any solid chance to Kakuta. Or we have Josh who is more talented than any other British midfield player even more talented than Wilshere but we did not give him any chances so far. I want Boas to give chances to home grown young players rather than purchasing young talents.

GJH   

Taking people like Robben, Silva, Mata etc as first rate but not necessarily all world class I think second rate is a fair description of what I've seen from Jovetic since he went to Firenze.

That's fair enough, especially if you take into account the damage an injury can inflict over the course of a career. I interpret second rate as a harsher form of criticism than you seem to. Not sure why you wouldn't consider Robben world class, however!

Did we not loan Lukaku purely because he didn't want to go?

If I understand you correctly, the reason he wasn't loaned was because he had played for two different clubs already.

Edited by Salv